SIFT INFORMATION

Being military you should know that some things you have to take care of yourself to ever get done. My recruiters appreciated that I did the SIFT on my own and my recruiter actually made it a selling point to the batt board when he introduced me. Less work for them, smoother process for you, and demonstrated self sufficiency, resourcefulness, and motivation.

But that's just like, my opinion man.

Nail just got smashed on the head... Just got done writing a PM to someone on here saying the exact same thing

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Can some one confirm that there is no cyclic orientation part to the SIFT?

Also, for Spatial Apperception, are the questions like the examples in the "For Dummies" book ( A horizon, a cloud, and a boat), or do they have some with insturments?

Correct, no cyclic orientation. Spatial apperception, if I remember right, is just dark, light and white for the shore water and sky. No boats no clouds. If I remember right

Edited by Yamer

Hello all, Lindsey suggested I come here and give some info...I've been on the armyocs.com forum for a while.

First a little background - I submitted a WOFT packet for last March's board. I wasn't supposed to find out until May, however, they overnighted my packet, and I found out 4 days later. I wasn't in a position at that time - lots of personal/family issues going on - to accept. I asked for an extension, and was denied. I was told I'd have to reboard. After getting things straightened out...doing some soul searching...accepting then turning down a "dream physical therapists job" at the last possible second...I decided to reactivate my packet.

This was about 2 months ago. All of my materials were still valid, and the last day to board with the AFAST was last Thursday - which happens to be the day I reboarded. I did extremely well on the board again, and was highly recommended to the USAREC board - again. This time, our battalion commander is also submitting a memo to USAREC sort of explaining my unique situation, and putting his name on the line for me. At any rate, from everything I've been told - I will be selected this year again at the March board. I will have to retake my flight physical, simply so that it is valid through WOCS.

At any rate, I did extremely well on the AFAST - a little above 150 if I recall - and didn't do any studying but I did take a few minutes and memorize the complex movements section. I think I only got 1 of them wrong. So, just because the AFAST is no longer valid, except for my case, they wanted a SIFT score in my packet as well - just to cover all bases. I took it yesterday with about 12 hours notice. I quickly reviewed some math problems from the ASTB...and that's it. I thought it was WAY harder than the AFAST. It is scored 20-80, with a mean of 50 and a standard deviation of plus/minus 10. I ended up with a 57. 40 is passing. It is VERY similar to the ASTB. My best recommendation is to get the Arco study guide for the ASTB and study it.

I know there isn't much gouge out there, so if I can answer any questions, please let me know.

Respectfully,

Tyler

If someone has to "re-board" because they didn't accept their selection the first time, do they have to go to through the Battalion interview again? Looks like this is what happened to Tydaddy, but maybe because he waited almost a year to re-board his packet??

Well that's done....Scored a 66, so I guess it's on to the next step...MEPS physical tom morning and flight physical week after next.

Some of my feedback: I was only able to complete 75 out of 100 simple figures. My computer was really slow and it would be 3-5 seconds between questions. The timer was frozen while the new question loaded however.

Hidden figures I finished 30 out of 50, again really slow between questions. It was the same 5 figures, one of which needed to be located within the hidden picture.

Aviation Knowledge, I read the first 3 chapters of the FAA Helicopter Handbook, and studied the Cram.com AFAST flashcards (linked below). They did ask 1 airspace question. The Army Aviation specific questions can be answered with what little knowledge you have gained from the forum. (IE: The light recon helicopter know as the Kiowa Warrior is known by which designation? = OH58D)

Spatial Apperception, study the for dummies book and you got it.

The rest is all ASVAB level math, mech, and reading. Brush up on your college algebra and probability. Mech, make sure you have a basic understanding of physics. Knowing a few basic formulas wont hurt either.

I used the following to study:

FAA Helicopter Flying Handbook

Military Flight Aptitude Test for Dummies

-I can send these to anyone who made need them-

Cram.com AFAST flashcards: http://www.cram.com/flashcards/helicopter-knowledge-for-afast-984281

• Like 1

Well that's done....Scored a 66, so I guess it's on to the next step...MEPS physical tom morning and flight physical week after next.

Some of my feedback: I was only able to complete 75 out of 100 simple figures. My computer was really slow and it would be 3-5 seconds between questions. The timer was frozen while the new question loaded however.

Hidden figures I finished 30 out of 50, again really slow between questions. It was the same 5 figures, one of which needed to be located within the hidden picture.

Aviation Knowledge, I read the first 3 chapters of the FAA Helicopter Handbook, and studied the Cram.com AFAST flashcards (linked below). They did ask 1 airspace question. The Army Aviation specific questions can be answered with what little knowledge you have gained from the forum. (IE: The light recon helicopter know as the Kiowa Warrior is known by which designation? = OH58D)

Spatial Apperception, study the for dummies book and you got it.

The rest is all ASVAB level math, mech, and reading. Brush up on your college algebra and probability. Mech, make sure you have a basic understanding of physics. Knowing a few basic formulas wont hurt either.

I used the following to study:

FAA Helicopter Flying Handbook

Military Flight Aptitude Test for Dummies

Good Score. Good Luck with your Physical.

My experience echos yours. I would also recommend the FAA Handbook. I think I used the ARCO Flight Aptitude Book (not that it matters), and brushed up on my Math skills.

Good enough for a 68 when it was all said and done.

• Like 1

You should be good so long as you've been studying and you're well rested, etc.

It's definitely NOT a test that you can expect to breeze through with little to no preparation! A MSG in my company did just that and was in for a RUDE awakening. I think he scored an 18!

I want to introduce myself to everyone in here. I've been lurking for a while, as a good friend of mine, I3uller, told me about the site. And wow, what a base of information it is! I took the SIFT last week and scored a 55 on it. I'm active duty army and almost done with my flight phys and LORs for my packet submission. I can't thank everyone on VR who's posts I have read and the vast amount of knowledge I have gained from all of you guys and gals! Thanks again!

Got a rather interesting message from my recruiting office today. They told me that i needed to wait 6 months because i bombed the flight entrance exam. I was about to go ballistic thinking there was a huge mistake. Turns out they werent up to speed on the effective date of the exam. They loaded my score as an AFAST score of 70 into the system instead of a SIFT score of 70. Good to know i taught a recruiter something new today and he is now well versed as to the effective date and scoring system of them SIFT.