SIFT INFORMATION

I will say that I didn't spend a whole lot of time studying the simple figures or hidden objects. Someone who focused more study time on that may disagree with me. Speed is the name of the game on those two.

Today, I was informed that due to still being a drilling reservist, MEPS will not administer me the SIFT. I would have to drop to the IRR and get a conditional release approved and in hand prior to even being registered for the test.

In order to avoid all that, SOUTHCOM can administer it but I need 'authorization' from my branch of service. Whatever that consists of. We shall see. Ready to take this thing already! :ph34r:

Today, I was informed that due to still being a drilling reservist, MEPS will not administer me the SIFT. I would have to drop to the IRR and get a conditional release approved and in hand prior to even being registered for the test.

In order to avoid all that, SOUTHCOM can administer it but I need 'authorization' from my branch of service. Whatever that consists of. We shall see. Ready to take this thing already! :ph34r:

And so it begins. This is where you are faced with the "how bad do you want it" conundrum. We've all been there. Just need to find a way to get it done and scheduled. Wish i could help.

Being a guardsman myself, I wasn't able to be scheduled for anything without my conditional release forms (DD form 368). I had one my commander, the wing commander, and the 2 star at joint ops just to be safe. If you get these, there should be no reason other than incompetence why you can't be scheduled for the SIFT. At the time I wanted to take it I was (and am still) a drilling guardsman, yet I was able to take it.

Bottom line, get your 368s from as high up as you need to go to make a difference. All I HAD to have was one from my commander, but using the one from the 2 star I think had a little bit more pull.

You dont have to drop to the IRR. Since you are SMCR, you will have to route the 368 attached to an Admin action form through your chain to the first GO in your chain of command. The MCRAM will give you the specifics. Not sure if your aviation or not but . . Mine went from squadron CO to MAG CO to 4th MAW CG . Be prepared for that to take a minute and have your S-1, SgtMaj and whoever else keep eyes on in order to expedite as needed.

• Like 1

You dont have to drop to the IRR. Since you are SMCR, you will have to route the 368 attached to an Admin action form through your chain to the first GO in your chain of command. The MCRAM will give you the specifics. Not sure if your aviation or not but . . Mine went from squadron CO to MAG CO to 4th MAW CG . Be prepared for that to take a minute and have your S-1, SgtMaj and whoever else keep eyes on in order to expedite as needed.

Yeah, being non-ob and only having 7 months left on my contract, my command basically told me today to screw off when I asked them to route a DD368. "If you want to be conditionally released, drop to the IRR."

Eh, I was hoping to keep drilling while I knocked all of this out. Tricare Reserve Select is that good good. All you get is damn dental when you're in the IRR. <_<

Bump for Lindsey. Check into local Army ROTC programs and you just might be able to cut through all of this red tape.

After twisting some arms, I found an individual from my unit willing to write an 'authorization letter' to take the test. Standing by to stand by. :ph34r:

Oh and yes, I found some helpful Cpt's with the local ROTC outfit but they need this same 'authorization letter.'

Edited by Marine4WOFT

Not off the top of my head but if you search on the first page of this thead, I am pretty sure it follows the order from the message referenced there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from taking this bad boy this morning. Scored a 60. B)

Simple Drawings: Completed 98/100.

Hidden Figures: Completed 40/50. They seemed easier than in the ARCO or Peterson's practice tests but a little harder than the SIFT study guide.

Army Aviation Information Test: If you study the SIFT study guide, the AFAST flash cards on Cram.com and read the first few chapters of the FAA Rotorcraft Manual, you'll kill it.

Reading Comprehension: Harder than other reading comprehension tests I've taken for other things. Make sure you keep an eye on the time. I think I answered the last question within seconds of it expiring.

Spatial Apperception: I studied the SIFT study guide for this one. However, if you think that with it now being computerized and a somewhat new test, the pictures would be a little better. Think, again. I found it more difficult than the practice questions in the SIFT study guide for some reason. :blink:

Math Skills Test: They started me out of the gate on question one with some problem involving exponents that I had no clue how to solve. To be honest, I think I bombed that section because it actually ended about 10 minutes early for me. The formulas are provided on the right-hand side, contrary to what the SIFT study guide says about them not.

Mechanical Comprehension: I studied the SIFT study guide on this one. Felt pretty good about it.

Good luck to everyone else who takes it in the future!

***Disclaimer: I do not claim to be an expert by any means. Everything stated above is obviously based on my opinion.***

• Like 3

Just got back from taking this bad boy this morning. Scored a 60. B)

Simple Drawings: Completed 98/100.

Hidden Figures: Completed 40/50. They seemed easier than in the ARCO or Peterson's practice tests but a little harder than the SIFT study guide.

Army Aviation Information Test: If you study the SIFT study guide, the AFAST flash cards on Cram.com and read the first few chapters of the FAA Rotorcraft Manual, you'll kill it.

Reading Comprehension: Harder than other reading comprehension tests I've taken for other things. Make sure you keep an eye on the time. I think I answered the last question within seconds of it expiring.

Spatial Apperception: I studied the SIFT study guide for this one. However, if you think that with it now being computerized and a somewhat new test, the pictures would be a little better. Think, again. I found it more difficult than the practice questions in the SIFT study guide for some reason. :blink:

Math Skills Test: They started me out of the gate on question one with some problem involving exponents that I had no clue how to solve. To be honest, I think I bombed that section because it actually ended about 10 minutes early for me. The formulas are provided on the right-hand side, contrary to what the SIFT study guide says about them not.

Mechanical Comprehension: I studied the SIFT study guide on this one. Felt pretty good about it.

Good luck to everyone else who takes it in the future!

***Disclaimer: I do not claim to be an expert by any means. Everything stated above is obviously based on my opinion.***

Congrats!

Same exact thing happened to me, felt like I only answered 3-5 math questions.

How in the hell did you do 40/50 hidden figures? Jk. Least liked section.

Your guess is as good as mine. All I know is I looked at what number I was on right as time was running out. I'm just shaking my head at how math challenged I am. I rather loathe it actually.

I have no idea how many simple drawings or hidden figures I completed, I never looked just worked till it told me time was up, but there is no way in hell I got that many done, I figure 30 hidden figures and maybe 70 simple drawings. The math section freaked me out cause i finished with like 12 minutes left. But somehow I pulled a 67.

• Like 1