SIFT INFORMATION

I honestly cant remember if you click next or not. You may not have to, i remember clicking answers and not moving my cursor, and having the next question's correct answer in the same spot and just clicking again as fast as could. It is possible to finish the number of questions in the first two sections if your decisive enough. I finished with a couple seconds remaining in each section. I know of 5 questions between the two sections that I realized I had made a mistake on while the page was loading, but it was too late to change it once you click the button. It was good enough to pull a 74, so going as fast as possible paid off for me.

^ I took the test almost a month ago.

It's going to look like this

[Picture]

A.(choice) B. (choice) C. (Choice) D. (Choice) E. (Choice)

You pick one of the choices that matches the one in the picture, the test automatically goes to the second question.

• 1 month later...

I have been studying the Military Flight Aptitude Test for Dummies book.

A lot of the sift test mathematical questions in the book makes you have to convert units

like from centimeter to inches or ounces to pounds. Do you have to do this on the real test?

I have the Accepted Inc. Sift Book and the topics they review nowhere is seen unit conversions.

Now I am worried that my book does not provide enought "coverage" thought it enphasizes topics like exponent roots, probabilities, sequence estimation, and pretty much all geometric figure formulas for volume and area.

Also the usual basics of fraction division, multiplication and decimal operations.

It also emphasizes that I need the ability to create expressions based on reading a text. (which IMO is the hardest part..)

I have the Accepted Inc. Sift Book and the topics they review nowhere is seen unit conversions.

Now I am worried that my book does not provide enought "coverage" thought it enphasizes topics like exponent roots, probabilities, sequence estimation, and pretty much all geometric figure formulas for volume and area.

Also the usual basics of fraction division, multiplication and decimal operations.

It also emphasizes that I need the ability to create expressions based on reading a text. (which IMO is the hardest part..)

Kill the sections that are able to be studied. The SIFT booted me out of the math section after about 2 min. However, I killed the other sections and pulled off a 60. Quizlet really helped with the aviation knowledge.

Edited by Marine4WOFT

I took five ROTC Cadets to take the SIFT last week. One got a 58 the others in the mid-40s.

They all had the study guide with Apache on the cover.

The aerodynamics section was lacking in my opinion. Just a -few- basic pictures helps immensely with OGE, IGE, ETL, settling with power, and stuff.

There was a lot more Army Aviation stuff on the test that was not tin the study guide: types, capabilities, etc.

I know it's been mentioned somewhere before but the FAA Helicopter Flying Handbook is a very valuable resource and should be coupled with the SIFT Study Guide. I used both with absolutely zero prior knowledge of how a helicopter works and scored a 71.

• Like 4

I think more time should be devoted to clicking really fast.... After taking the SIFT I felt that finishing both of the first two sections under time and with only a couple mistakes meant more to my score than the math section. (My math section ran almost the whole alloted time, and I did not feel very warm and fuzzy about it. I was expecting more physics related questions, and got a whole lot of probability styled questions)

My advice would be to click fast, and be ready for what the test is going to ask of you. Take the time in between sections to calm down. Spend less time on studying math and more on knowing that an MI-8 isnt a US helicopter. Sounds simple but I managed a 74.

I think more time should be devoted to clicking really fast.... After taking the SIFT I felt that finishing both of the first two sections under time and with only a couple mistakes meant more to my score than the math section. (My math section ran almost the whole alloted time, and I did not feel very warm and fuzzy about it. I was expecting more physics related questions, and got a whole lot of probability styled questions)

My advice would be to click fast, and be ready for what the test is going to ask of you. Take the time in between sections to calm down. Spend less time on studying math and more on knowing that an MI-8 isnt a US helicopter. Sounds simple but I managed a 74.

I would venture to say be quick but concise. Dont be clicking too fast that you are sloppy with the answers. I would take a quick second to "dial in" before starting each section. Essentially mentally preparing myself to work fast. If I remember correctly the timer doesnt start until you start the section. So take that time to regroup between sections if you have to.

I wrote it earlier but its probably buried somewhere in the pages here. I used the blue book with the apache on the front and thought it was very good.

• Like 1

I know it's been mentioned somewhere before but the FAA Helicopter Flying Handbook is a very valuable resource and should be coupled with the SIFT Study Guide. I used both with absolutely zero prior knowledge of how a helicopter works and scored a 71.

I can piggyback that. I did the same and scored a 70.

Did you find that the SIFT Study Guide from Accepted Inc.(Blue Apache one) provided the necessary math and mechanical knowledge or did you take topics that weren't in the guide on the test?

Did you find that the SIFT Study Guide from Accepted Inc.(Blue Apache one) provided the necessary math and mechanical knowledge or did you take topics that weren't in the guide on the test?

It was a good refresher on math, however I thought the math section was the hardest part of the SIFT. Not to say the SIFT study guide doesn't cover what you will see on the test, but you may want to study some other materials if math isn't a strong suite.

Regarding mechanical knowledge I felt like it was definitely adequate study material for the test.

I'm really stressing the math portion of the exam. I've used both the Accepted Inc. study guide with the Apache on the cover and Peterson's study guide with the AFOQT math problems. I'm just worried something will be on the exam I didn't cover. To anyone who has taken the exam. I'm assuming the majority of questions will be word problems?

I'm really stressing the math portion of the exam. I've used both the Accepted Inc. study guide with the Apache on the cover and Peterson's study guide with the AFOQT math problems. I'm just worried something will be on the exam I didn't cover. To anyone who has taken the exam. I'm assuming the majority of questions will be word problems?

I would venture to say be quick but concise. Dont be clicking too fast that you are sloppy with the answers. I would take a quick second to "dial in" before starting each section. Essentially mentally preparing myself to work fast. If I remember correctly the timer doesnt start until you start the section. So take that time to regroup between sections if you have to.

I wrote it earlier but its probably buried somewhere in the pages here. I used the blue book with the apache on the front and thought it was very good.

Don't stress too much about the math. As these two have said speed and accuracy during the first sections is important. Here is what I remember of my test, I scored a 76.

1. Simple drawings-answered 97 or 98 of 100. I only remember catching myself clicking the wrong one on 2 maybe 3 of the ones that I completed.

2. Hidden figures- Confident that I was 50 for 50, and had time left over.

3. Army aviation- answered all 40, there were a few guesses. As stated in this thread the afast flash cards are a big help. The ones that stumped me were more technical questions, that probably would be covered in the regulations book ie airspace categories, taxiways, etc. Again, had time left over.

4. Spatial apperception- Again, confident I went 25 for 25. Had time left over.

5. Reading- Answered all 20, and had time left. Maybe one or two swags.

I believe it was a 10 minute break here, before moving into math and mechanical comp. Use it, the whole thing. I took a walk around outside and did a lap of the test center. Just like the extra time if you finish before the end of the allotted time in each section, clear your head and relax during these breaks.

6. Math- I was not prepared for the level of some of the questions that came up. I used the For dummies study guide, and a basic algebra text book I had lying around. I went from supremely confident of acing to seeing this section drag me down the drain lol. I don't recall how many questions I completed before timing out, but there were a lot more swags in this section.

7. Mechanical comp- Don't recall number of questions answered, but significantly less swags than during the math section. Again there were a few questions above the level of the study guide, but overall I felt I did fine in this section.

I feel that the speed and accuracy in the first sections weighed more heavily on the final score. I'm not trying to discourage extra prep or studying for the math section, especially if you feel you need it, but don't stress over it. Have a study plan for the whole test, and stick to it. Add extra time for math if you want, but don't take away from the other sections.

I felt that I bombed the math section, and really was picturing my score drop points after each question I had to throw a guess at. In the end I stressed myself out over nothing. However bad I may have done in the math section only brought me down 4 points. Maybe less if one of those 4 were from the fat finger clicks in simple drawings.

Thanks for the advice. I've been studying for months and I take the test next Wednesday. Luckily, my background in aviation will carry me a little. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Also, according to the information provided from USAREC on the SIFT, it stated, "Some formulas would be provided." So were all geometry formulas, such as volume of a cylinder, provided? Should I commit some of these basic formulas to memory?

Edited by Seth G.
  • Like 1

I took the SIFT today. Passed with a 54. While I wanted above a 60, I'm still pretty happy with the score.

Simple Drawings: This was easy, just difficult to get all of them completed within the allotted time frame. I think I completed 90.

Hidden figures: This is where I know I lost a lot of points. Completed 30 out of 50. I used the AFOQT hidden figures and the SIFT study guide for practice. Still had a lot of trouble and was sweating it pretty badly. Not sure if my test anxiety got to me or not and affected my performance, I just know I didn't do well in this section.

Aviation Information: I felt I did very well in this section, encountering only a few questions I wasn't prepared for. Make sure and study up on helicopter flight using NVGs. I used the SIFT study guide, FAA handbook and the AFAST flash cards on cram.com

Spacial Apperception: 25 out of 25 completed: I know I made up for my poor performance on hidden figures in this section. I used Peterson's study guide and the SIFT for this section, and was very prepared for it.

Reading Comprehension: Reading Comprehension is Reading Comprehension...there are no "what does this passage infer" type questions. It was straight and to the point.

Math Knowledge: I felt I did pretty decent in this section. Missed a few and they kept getting harder and harder, and it finally kicked me out. Kind of freaked me out when I had a lot of time left on the clock. That being said, it wasn't difficult math. I used the SIFT, ASTB and AFOQT study guides and felt confident. I am by no means good at math either.

Mechanical Comprehension: I am mechanically inclined. I know I bombed this section, and feel like it really hurt my score. I got a lot of physics related questions as opposed to diagrams. I got through this section pretty fast. In all honesty, I focused a lot on math and aviation information because I knew mechanical comp. was not my strong suit.

I'm happy with my score though, and feel like a tremendous burden has been lifted off my shoulders. Now, the fun part of putting the packet together begins.

Edited by Seth G.

I took the SIFT today. Passed with a 54. While I wanted above a 60, I'm still pretty happy with the score.

Simple Drawings: This was easy, just difficult to get all of them completed within the allotted time frame. I think I completed 90.

Hidden figures: This is where I know I lost a lot of points. Completed 30 out of 50. I used the AFOQT hidden figures and the SIFT study guide for practice. Still had a lot of trouble and was sweating it pretty badly. Not sure if my test anxiety got to me or not and affected my performance, I just know I didn't do well in this section.

Aviation Information: I felt I did very well in this section, encountering only a few questions I wasn't prepared for. Make sure and study up on helicopter flight using NVGs. I used the SIFT study guide, FAA handbook and the AFAST flash cards on cram.com

Spacial Apperception: 25 out of 25 completed: I know I made up for my poor performance on hidden figures in this section. I used Peterson's study guide and the SIFT for this section, and was very prepared for it.

Reading Comprehension: Reading Comprehension is Reading Comprehension...there are no "what does this passage infer" type questions. It was straight and to the point.

Math Knowledge: I felt I did pretty decent in this section. Missed a few and they kept getting harder and harder, and it finally kicked me out. Kind of freaked me out when I had a lot of time left on the clock. That being said, it wasn't difficult math. I used the SIFT, ASTB and AFOQT study guides and felt confident. I am by no means good at math either.

Mechanical Comprehension: I am mechanically inclined. I know I bombed this section, and feel like it really hurt my score. I got a lot of physics related questions as opposed to diagrams. I got through this section pretty fast. In all honesty, I focused a lot on math and aviation information because I knew mechanical comp. was not my strong suit.

I'm happy with my score though, and feel like a tremendous burden has been lifted off my shoulders. Now, the fun part of putting the packet together begins.

Nice write up and great job!

I assume you can answer your own question where any formulas provided?

My apologies. Yes they were, and I encountered only one geometry related question. Just a simple volume of a cylinder question. All formulas were provided as mentioned on here and the USAREC FAQ on the SIFT.

• 1 year later...

Took the SIFT this morning and wanted to share my experience while it's still fresh.

Simple Figures

These are slightly more difficult than the ones I saw in the study books, but not by much. It's mostly just the clicking fast and getting in a rhythm. Go through 94/100

Hidden Figures

I thought these were slightly easier than the ones I saw in the blue SIFT book and Barron's. I guessed on 1 or 2 just so that I could move on. I got through 31/50

Spatial Orientation

Not much to say about these. They're slightly harder than the ones in the books.. maybe. But just read the instructions and be sure you understand depicted steepness of turns.

Army Aviation Knowledge

If you've read through the FAA flying handbook, understand the basic principles of rotary flight, and have gone through the 250 CRAM flashcards, you'll be fine here. There were a couple questions more general aviation related, and a handful about army helicopters.

Reading Comprehension

Honestly thought this was the hardest subtest.

Math Knowledge

I have a background in science and engineering, so this was mostly pretty straightforward. However, there are some questions that will take time to complete. It says don't spend too much time on any one question, but I wouldn't rush it either. My test finished with 10 minutes left.

I spent enough time on one of the questions that the screen locked and I had to get the proctor in to unlock it. When she unlocked it, she accidentally pressed one of the answers, and I knew it was a wrong answer. Since the test is adaptive and you can't go back, I was pretty upset about this, but continued anyway.

Mechanical Knowledge

Know some basic mechanics, especially about pulley advantage. Maybe review your high school physics (Newtonian motion, forces acting on objects, springs, etc).

Happy that the mistake with the proctor didn't hurt me any.

Score: 80