SIFT INFORMATION

I will never understand scoring on the SIFT, not completing 2 sections and a known wrong answer and still a perfect score....

The only correlation I have noticed has been the perceived difficulty in comparison to score.

The more someone says "This section and that section were really easy", the more likely it was they score closer to a 40. Then everyone who scored over 70 says the math and reading were really tough.

• Like 1

I took the SIFT today as well. Mine was a little more painful than most simply because the people at my MEPs first told me it was 1st and 3rd Wednesday and then got me locked out of the test for more than an hour after the Army Aviation Section. I really wish I could retake the 2nd half because the general idiocy of it had me fuming.

Simple Figures

I double-clicked a few times but got to 97.

Hidden Figures

This was definitely the hardest section for me. I got to 20/50 but I am pretty sure I got every single one of the ones I did right.

Spatial Orientation

The pictures were slightly worse than the ones I practiced with but as long as you knock out wrong answers and follow the rules the study guide teaches you, it's not hard.

Army Aviation

This one was a bit easier than I thought it would be. I am definitely glad I read the FAA book but there was not one question about Bernouli or Venturi which I found really odd (know it anyway). Know specific US Army helicopters and their role. I'd also know anything that could affect pilots ability to perform.

Reading Comprehension

Unnecessarily convoluted. Read carefully and apply the process of elimination

Math Knowledge

I thought I would be okay here but the section ended much quicker than I thought it would. I may have accidentally hit a wrong answer after I thought the page was stuck. I kept getting hit with exponent questions so know how those work I guess.

They had all the geometry formulas provided but I would not rely on that.

Mechanical Knowledge

Understand simple machines, Newton's Laws, and centrifugal force. It was not that bad.

Score: 59

Thanks for the help everyone as I have been lurking these posts since August!

• 2 years later...

Just tested. I appreciated the after action reports on here so time to give my own.

Simple drawings: Easy, but didnt finish all 100 as I thought I could. Likely made it to the high 80s low 90s before timed out. Know for a fact I mis-clicked only one wrong answer.

Hidden figures: Easier than anticipated, but still struggled with time. 21/50 completed with 2 educated guesses to keep moving. Had the same 5 shapes for my questions.

Aviation: Easy after moderately thorough reading of the FAA handbook. Had to guess on a question about airspace and a few about night flying that I neglected to read about. Overall easy content when concerning aerodynamics and flight controls.

Spacial apperception: To quote someone on this board, laughably bad image quality Not hard, used all the extra time to double check answers.

Reading comp: English is a strength of mine. This was harder than anticipated, but not terrible.

Math: Abysmal, I got smoked. Concepts I recognized, but applied in more complex manners than I was able to work through. Confidently answered 2-3 questions at best. Many educated guesses, answered maybe 10-12 questions total before running out of time. Logs, complex fractional exponents, and geometry gave me trouble. Very few classic algebraic equations.

Mechanical comp: For me this was also tough. Some questions involved calculations that required knowledge of units (Joules, gravity) which caught me off guard. Questions on metallurgy and electronics which I was unfamiliar with. Lots of deduction, logic, and instinct was used in this subtest. Again ran out of time, was not booted.

Score: 64

Overall takeaways: The general idea I have seen conveyed on this board is many who find the test difficult do relatively well. This was my experience. By the end of the test I was very surprised to see my score. I knew I would at least pass, but thought I had blown it as far as a solid score was concerned.

I feel I really could have done more in my preparation to get a higher score. I studied for a month in May and for the last week, most of which was centered in the FAA handbook. All in all I am happy with my score and happy to be finished with this hurdle.

• 1 month later...

Anyone take it recently that want to share their experience or tips? I'm not sure if it changes with time or it gets updated. Will be taking it in about a month and would appreciate any new info or help!

Study guides helped me quite a bit. If I'm being honest, I only studied for about 10 hours total and it was the day before the test. Bad idea, I know... but I scored a 63 and I was also selected on the November board and I'm swearing in tomorrow so I guess it worked out alright. I had quite a bit of aviation knowledge going in, albeit zero flight time. I'd say that would be a major thing to focus on if you don't have much. As for the hidden figures, spatial perception, and the other visual tests, practice using a study guide and being consistent. I found the math to be quite difficult, and I should have practiced it more.

Overall, the SIFT was a very difficult test. I made a poor choice in not studying more. I did well, but I wouldn't ever recommend doing what I did. I'm just a poor studier. Always have been. Thankfully, 4 years of aviation classes in High School helped me out quite a bit.

Here's a decent practice test I was using.

SIFT Practice Test — Trivium

• Like 1

One thing I practiced a lot was the math. I had the ASVAB for Dummies book just to refresh my math skills, and it ended up being a great tool for me.

Anyone take it recently that want to share their experience or tips? I'm not sure if it changes with time or it gets updated. Will be taking it in about a month and would appreciate any new info or help!

• Like 1

I used a study guide from Amazon, but I think studying the first 4 chapters of the FAA rotocraft manual helped me more than the study guide as far as aviation knowledge goes.

The study guides definitely help prepare you for the sections that will be on the test, but the questions are usually quite different on the actual test. You will basically be studying for the "kinds" of question that will be on the test.

• Like 1

Just took the SIFT yesterday. Managed to wrangle out a 78 on the test. Definitely can attribute some of that score to a strong math background and 7 years as an enlisted AF flyer. But doing a month of study is what really helped me the most.

As Gage and others have said, having a good understanding of the first 4 chapters of either the FAA Rotorcraft flying manual or the FAA Helicopter flying manual are vital. I used the helo manual myself. Also know what helicopters the Army flies and what they do.

For other sections of the test, I picked up Peterson's Master the Military Flight Aptitude Test 9th edition from my base library. If you use this resource make sure it's a recent edition or the SIFT wont be covered. For the Simple Drawings, I focused on going as fast as I possibly could when studying and that benefited me. On the actual exam, I was able to complete all 100 questions, and I'm pretty sure I only incorrectly clicked 2. Hidden figures, I just practiced from the study book and tried to improve my speed. I don't think I even got half way through the questions on the test, like many others on this forum have experienced.

For all other subtests, the more you practice, the better you will do. I will say the math does get pretty intense, and the Peterson guide won't cut it if you're looking to ace that section.

YouTube is a pretty good resource if you want a better understanding of certain mathematical or mechanical concepts. It helped me brush up on some stuff I missed in the practice tests I took. As long as you put some effort into preparing for the test, you have nothing to worry about. While you're taking the exam, just remember to breathe haha Good luck!

-Chris

Nsavage, I don't have the best grasp on math but I have been practicing on speed for hidden figures and simple drawings. I can finish simple drawings in the time allotted and only miss 1 or 2 just from going so fast. Hidden figures I can finish about 2/3 within the allotted time. My plan is to play to my strengths and get the easier ones done. Math I'm looking up on YouTube. Thanks for that tip! Spatial test I'm also practicing going as fast as I need to to complete it and it's improved a lot. Definitely feel worried about math but I'm hoping that working on the others will help carry that lower score.

I just took the FAA ATC aptitude test and got almost a perfect score and it had everything but helo knowledge ( I'm very familiar) and the type of math being used (they use math as a memory and awareness test). If you have any specific videos on YouTube for the math being tested, that would be great.

Nsavage, I don't have the best grasp on math but I have been practicing on speed for hidden figures and simple drawings. I can finish simple drawings in the time allotted and only miss 1 or 2 just from going so fast. Hidden figures I can finish about 2/3 within the allotted time. My plan is to play to my strengths and get the easier ones done. Math I'm looking up on YouTube. Thanks for that tip! Spatial test I'm also practicing going as fast as I need to to complete it and it's improved a lot. Definitely feel worried about math but I'm hoping that working on the others will help carry that lower score.

I just took the FAA ATC aptitude test and got almost a perfect score and it had everything but helo knowledge ( I'm very familiar) and the type of math being used (they use math as a memory and awareness test). If you have any specific videos on YouTube for the math being tested, that would be great.

Bro thats great and try hard but the computer you are gonna take it on is gonna give you one at a time and freeze a ton. Dont worry aboyt studying that. Spend most of your time on math. If you arent a good reader that too. Read the faa handbook first couple chapters and know aviation knowledge. If you are doing well the math is going to be very hard. I was being asked "solve log5 of (this huge function)" and one explained base 2 and then had me solve a huge function and answer in base 4.

Tangowhiskey I'm definitely not ignoring math since I really suck Haha I'll do my best but if the computer sucks, there's not much to be done. Thanks for the math example, I'm gonna look up similar problems and work on those. Hopefully it gets harder for me since that would mean I am getting them right! Thanks for all the tips.

Bro thats great and try hard but the computer you are gonna take it on is gonna give you one at a time and freeze a ton. Dont worry aboyt studying that. Spend most of your time on math. If you arent a good reader that too. Read the faa handbook first couple chapters and know aviation knowledge. If you are doing well the math is going to be very hard. I was being asked "solve log5 of (this huge function)" and one explained base 2 and then had me solve a huge function and answer in base 4.

This is point is important, doing the simple drawings on paper and doing them on a computer are very different, at least for me it was. Trivium Test Prep has sections on hidden figures and simple drawings, but you have to click enter after every choice. Still it will get you used to scanning on a computer. His point on math is correct, I did well on my ASVAB math and made the mistake of not putting in more time studying it. The minute log functions came up I had flashbacks to Algebra 3 and couldn't remember a single thing. That being said studying the math sections in ASVAB test books can give you an advantage if you are missing some fundamentals of algebra as the earlier questions resemble the problems given in the practices.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am posting this for the sake of other aspiring aviators out there, like me. I want you to keep continuing what you are doing and do not stop until you get what you want. Take the SIFT seriously as it will be your bread and butter to become an Army Warrant Officer. I've been a lurker of this forum topic from quite some time now to gain insights about SIFT.

I just took the SIFT 4 hours ago and jotted down some notes shortly after to post it here. I scored so low, below average, but I passed. I am really disappointed, but, it is what it is. It took me 2 months of studying about 2-3 hours a day because I knew I have my own weaknesses when it comes to self studying. Again, I am doing this for all the future aviators out there.

Below is the summary of the test that I took.

SIMPLE DRAWINGS

- I answered 80/100 with 5-7 mistakes.

HIDDEN FIGURES

-This kicked me straight out my butt. I only answered 15/50. It is harder than the textbooks. It contains fewer lines but for me, the images are really hard to find. I tried squinting but then again, I failed. My advice, don't guess as it might hurt your score. I've seen people in this forum who answered less than 10 questions but still ended up with 60+ score

ARMY AVIATION INFORMATION TEST (AAIT)

-I focused more on aerodynamics. I can say I got at least 9-10 mistakes because of my complacence. I thought I was really ready for this, apparently, not. In my set of test, less aerodynamics questions were there. Here are the questions that I remembered to best of my knowledge.

-Induced Flow, I know I got this right. But the answers were tricky. It didn't directly say "Downward flow of air" something like that. The wordings were far different than the FAA handbook. So, read each answers carefully.

-Translating Tendency

Flight controls, I am assuming I got this one right. Their use and whatnot. I got a good amount of numbers pertaining to flight controls

Slip

Skid

-Payload

-Night Scanning

-Visual Deficiencies .

-Night flight, include fundamentals in night flight as well.

-The condition when a helicopter is less efficient and or more efficient.

-Pilot self-assessment

-Helicopters of the Army, Remember, A=Attack, C=Cargo, U=Utility, O= Oberservation/Reconnaissance. Be sure to keep this in mind.

- Aerodynamic Forces (basic)

-Army aviation history

-Airspace

I didn't anticipate seeing more questions that doesn't pertain aerodynamics. But then again, everyone's tests are different. I've seen people posting that their set of tests consists more on Aerodynamics plus flight controls. I posted this to keep you guys aware that there are chances that you might get a set of test similar to mine. So don't just focus on aerodynamics. I suggest you to understand everything in the FAA manual. Almost 80% of the questions can be answered through the manual, except for the army part. I suggest you prepare for the SIFT as you may encounter questions you would never thought you would see. There are a lot of questions in the question bank of SIFT so take this seriously and understand each chapter if you want to get a competitive score.

Spatial Apperception

- Expect that in the actual test, it is not going to be like in most of the study guides. I think I failed in this part and didn't get a perfect score. That's all I can say. Thinking maybe one of the reason I got a lower score because of this. So foolish of me, I know.

Reading Comprehension

It's one paragraph. Straight to the point. However, engl is not my first language so I had to re read everything twice to make sure. Maybe I was overthinking plus reading comprehension is one of my weakness. I can say I only got 50% in this.

Math Skills Test

I think this one pulled my score to barely pass. On my third question, it already asked something similar to this "log base 5 (x+5)=5 (Just an example). It kept doing that for like 3 questions after. I even got log base huge amount of number, lol. It means I was answering it right. It started with a simple probability then a little algebra and then logarithm on the 3rd one. It got easier after question 8 I think. Probably got the answer wrong. It went back to algebra. Also, study TRIANGLES and circle. Motion problems too. I took the time to study here as well. On my test, formulas were on the side so you don't have to worry about it. However, I think I only used one of them for triangle. Know your fractions, square roots in DECIMALS. At the 25 minute marker I moved on to the next sub cat.

Mechanical Comprehension
Use ASVAB reviewer it will help. It stopped after 8 minutes.
In summary my barely passing score is only 41. I was only hoping to get a 50. It was my target because I knew I wouldn't do good on reading comprehension and mechanical comprehension, and HF. I just focused on AAIT, SAT, SD, MATH. I though I'd get at least a 50 if I aced those sub categories. But, like I said, I underestimated AAIT and thought I was ready for it but was not. Plus the spatial apperception got me like WTF. I know I have a slim to none chance on being selected. But, I want other aspiring aviator to get a better score so they won't suffer what I'm suffering today. Follow your dreams and never stop. Do whatever it takes. DO NOT GIVE UP AND STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. Everything will be worth it in the end
I will still submit a packet and hope for a miracle. My flight physical is scheduled on 14 feb 19. The worst they can say is no. However, I am moving on with my career and try something else. I've been in the Army, as of now, for 29 months. I'm a 91B (wheeled mechanic) who's first duty assignment is in an MP unit who solely focus on investigations (Right? Why would they need a mechanic). I came in as a fuzzy and now I am an E-5, promoted 1 Dec 18. Can you believe that? I became an NCO without actually doing my job. I just do whatever my superiors asked just to be a good soldier. However, it is hurting my career. I am afraid that when I transfer to a LINE UNIT, I'm freaking DEAD. I HAVE ZERO EXPERIENCE. I never asked to be assigned in my current unit though. This is one of the reason why I pursued the flight path, but I failed. I guess flying isn't for me. It sucks but I have to suck it up and move on. Maybe God has better plans for me.
My stats:
Active Duty
TIS: 29 months
GT/Percentile - 131, 93
SIFT: 41 :(
APFT: 295
LOR: CW3 (MP, CO) O5 (BC), CW3 Aviator
Flight physical: TBD
GPA: 60+ Semester hours with 2.2 GPA (foreign country)( I didn't took college seriously, I was so dumb when I was younger) Transferred credits to BS Aeronautics, took 4 courses so far, GPA: 3.3
Well, I hope this can be a help to someone and get a good score in their SIFT. I wish each and everyone of you a GOOD LUCK and FLY HIGH!
My resources: FAA Manual, Barron's Military Flight aptitude book 4th ed., Peterson's ,military flight aptitude book 9th ed.
If you have any questions. feel free to message me.

• 2 weeks later...