Another Lazy Weekend Poll

eagle5

6 members have voted

1. 1. After shutting down an R22, where do you put the mixture guard?

• Over the mixture
    • Over the trim

Bad habits like that one cause accidents. Heard about a ditching where the pilot pulled the mixture instead of the trim because that plastic guard was not there.

I was refering to placing it there after shutdown. It never occured to me that if its your habit to place it over the trim after shutdown, that you may unconsciously do it on startup as well! Perhaps I should leave a note in the cockpit for those guys?

Safety Notice SN-1 is quite relevant....

Copying from POH:

"Inadvertent actuation of mixture control in flight:

Cases have been reported where a pilot inadvertently pulled the mixture control instead of the carb heat or other control, resulting in sudden and complete engine stoppage. The knobs are shaped differently and the mixture control has a guard which must be removed and a push-button lock which must be depressed before actuating. Theses differences should be stressed when checking out new pilots. Also, in the R22, it is a good practice to always reach around the left side of the cyclic control when actuating the lateral trim. This will lessen the chance of pulling the mixture control by mistake. Always use the small plastic guard which is placed on the mixture control prior to starting the engine and is not removed until the end of the flight when the idle cut-off is pulled. Replace the guard on the mixture control so it will be in place for the next flight.

If the mixture control is inadvertently pulled, lower the collective and enter autorotation. If there is sufficient altitude, push the mixture control in and restart the engine using the left hand. DO NOT disengage the clutch".

Now, one question (without wanting to derail the thread too much) is how much would qualify as "sufficient altitude?" My guess is that 100 ft agl is not sufficient. What about 500ft though, or 1,000ft?

• Like 1

Safety Notice SN-1 is quite relevant....

Copying from POH:

"Inadvertent actuation of mixture control in flight:

Cases have been reported where a pilot inadvertently pulled the mixture control instead of the carb heat or other control, resulting in sudden and complete engine stoppage. The knobs are shaped differently and the mixture control has a guard which must be removed and a push-button lock which must be depressed before actuating. Theses differences should be stressed when checking out new pilots. Also, in the R22, it is a good practice to always reach around the left side of the cyclic control when actuating the lateral trim. This will lessen the chance of pulling the mixture control by mistake. Always use the small plastic guard which is placed on the mixture control prior to starting the engine and is not removed until the end of the flight when the idle cut-off is pulled. Replace the guard on the mixture control so it will be in place for the next flight.

If the mixture control is inadvertently pulled, lower the collective and enter autorotation. If there is sufficient altitude, push the mixture control in and restart the engine using the left hand. DO NOT disengage the clutch".

Now, one question (without wanting to derail the thread too much) is how much would qualify as "sufficient altitude?" My guess is that 100 ft agl is not sufficient. What about 500ft though, or 1,000ft?

I would say don't even bother if you are below 1000 ft AGL. I might attempt it if I am at 1500 and I have lots of good options if it doesn't work out. If I am above 2000, I would definitely attempt a restart, but if it doesn't restart after a few cranks, I would abandon the effort and focus on executing a good auto to the surface.

• Like 1