WOFTApp Intro / Progress

I should probably stop and introduce myself instead of jumping in and gabbing away.

I am 29 years old, married and have 5 children (9y - 4m). I have 6 years enlisted active duty Air Force as an Aricraft Armament Technician on F-15s and F-22s. Seperated in 2006.

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - BS Techncial Management w/Aviation Safety minor (3.3 GPA)

King College - M.B.A. (4.0 GPA).

ASVAB - 97 / 137 GT

APFT - 281 (78 PUs, 64 SUs, 12:28 2mi) 290 on 8/24/12

AFAST - 141

Class 1 - Complete / Pending Ft. Rucker Approval

LoRs - 6: AF LtCol, Army Maj (AV), Army CW4 (AV), Hospital CEO, Engineering Manager and Program Manager

Active Security Clearance

DA Photo - Check

I currently work for a defense contracter as a Supervisor.

I have everything complete. I am working with my recruiter to wrap up my package and get it turned in.

Those are my stats, look forward to learning from everyone's input.

Good Luck to all WOFT Applicants! Hope to meet you all at Rucker...

Edited by WOFTApp

Age disqualifies me for the OCS route, 28 is the cutoff and waviers are not being accepted at this time. Even if I was eligible I would go WO, I want to fly. I have had my experience in a management role and it is not for me. Also, from what I hear, AV slots are very difficult to get in OCS.

None for the log books. I went to ERAU through a worldwide center at Edwards AFB. As far as helos go, I have ridden in a HU-1 and some CH-46s (we had Marines on base) on a recovery mission for a downed F-16. Took a discovery flight in a Schweizer 300 a few months back and got to handle the controls for a while. Couldn't find the hover button though. Must have been on the left side of the cockpit...

I feel this is my biggest weakness in my packet. Seeing others getting selected without flight hours is a nice confidence booster.

I cannot justify the expenditure of a ppl at this point in my life (see 5 kids above). Plus, I burned up my GI Bill on the MBA. Hindsight, I should have used it for flight school.

im in your boat with the flight school/kids/family thing. and youre exactly right about the nice feeling of seeing someone with no flight hours get accepted.

i found the hover button in the UH-60 simulator after about an hour of hover practice lol the instructor was like "you want to spend a how long trying to hover?" as if i'm crazy or something lol then we flew a two hour flight which was mixed both vfr and ifr. thats 3 of the 4 hours i have in a cockpit. intro flight is the other hour.

Edited by Yamer

im in your boat with the flight school/kids/family thing. and youre exactly right about the nice feeling of seeing someone with no flight hours get accepted.

i found the hover button in the UH-60 simulator after about an hour of hover practice lol the instructor was like "you want to spend a how long trying to hover?" as if i'm crazy or something lol then we flew a two hour flight which was mixed both vfr and ifr. thats 3 of the 4 hours i have in a cockpit. intro flight is the other hour.

Keep in mind that typically, the bigger the helicopter = the easier it is to hover. Can't really compare hovering a UH-60 to hovering a tiny Schweizer 300. ;-)

I'm a former AF guy at Rucker now. Your packet looks solid. Good luck! Don't worry if you don't have the hover button. Even down here people take a while to find it. WOFT is the way to go, anyway.

If you get selected, try to get those situps up in the 90% range! You'll do less PT at B Company after WOCS. It is well worth it. Less early mornings.

Keep in mind that typically, the bigger the helicopter = the easier it is to hover. Can't really compare hovering a UH-60 to hovering a tiny Schweizer 300. ;-)

Plus the 60 has heading hold. A lot of my buddies in the 60 course don't even touch pedals when they come to a hover.

mood killer lol I guess I never really thought of it that way. Plus it was a simulator and not outside in the wind and stuff.

Plus the 60 has heading hold. A lot of my buddies in the 60 course don't even touch pedals when they come to a hover.

helpful to know now lol but i dont think it was on for me cause i was ALL OVER those things... lol

I'm a former AF guy at Rucker now. Your packet looks solid. Good luck! Don't worry if you don't have the hover button. Even down here people take a while to find it. WOFT is the way to go, anyway.

If you get selected, try to get those situps up in the 90% range! You'll do less PT at B Company after WOCS. It is well worth it. Less early mornings.

Getting a little ahead of myself but curious. Are you living on base at Rucker?

Thanks! I am starting to get pretty antsy now. I miss the military life greatly (so does the fam) and this would be my "dream" job; flying Helos in the Army. Can't wait...

Since you're down there. Can you get my flight phycial approved? Its been there for 2 weeks now and no issues were noted.

Yeah, I was used to the AF crunches and not the Army sit ups. The first time I took the APFT I only did 38 sit ups and my hip flexors exploded. A hit it hard core for the next week and got up to 64, a 168% improvement in a week. My mistake was doing abdnominal exercises but not the actual sit ups. A week later, I can probably get in the low 70s now. I should be maxing it in less than a month. Lesson learned, do it the way you are tested. My favorite workout, two sets of tabata sit ups a day. Works great for push ups and sprints as well.

Thanks for the heads up. A little more motivation to keep working on it!

Disclaimer: I am already in very good shape, getting these types of short term results are from muscle memory and not from gaining endurance or strength; just my body learning how to do them. Do not expect this type of progress unless you are already physically fit.

Since you're down there. Can you get my flight phycial approved? Its been there for 2 weeks now and no issues were noted.

The medical is a pain. I have to get a new up slip this much, and it isn't a load of fun to get it done even when you are here in person. Hopefully you get the approval soon. It took me a while to get mine in the system before boards.

Av8rnik, I do live on base on Rucker. Can't beat a 10 minute commute to work or school during every phase of training.

And the 64 has loads of goodies. We do have to use the pedals... to get off the squat switch. After that, while hovering, heading hold is a joy. In the pattern I still try to kick the trim ball out of the helicopter from time to time but I am learning. Slowly.

Yeah, it felt like I was trying to stand on a swiss ball in a hurricane. Plus, I only had to worry about the cyclic the IP had the pedals, throttle and collective. Needless to say I was humbled that day, but it made me want to fly helos even more.

They didnt mind you calling?

No, they were rather nice about it actually. The call lasted all of about 2 mins. Told me to pass the word along to my recruiter. I don't see how they can be upset if the USAREC website says this:

Any questions concerning physicals at Fort Rucker should be addressed to Mr. Garcia at (334)598-8955.

http://www.usarec.ar...requ/woft.shtml

• Like 2

No, they were rather nice about it actually. The call lasted all of about 2 mins. Told me to pass the word along to my recruiter. I don't see how they can be upset if the USAREC website says this:

http://www.usarec.ar...requ/woft.shtml

I dont know how i didnt find this before...so here is a question for everyone. Are you including a resume since it is optional for the street to seat?

Yeh ive read that one before but must have completely missed the woft one...

Yes im doing a resume but a civilian version not the resume formatted on the warrant site. Remember, its just your packet at rucker to get accepted so its gonna need all it can get to be competitive

• Like 1