WOFTApp Intro / Progress

Murphy's Law was invoked...

My recruiter's computer crashed. Once it was fixed, he began rebuilding my packet and the system which stores the uploaded files was "updated." This update wiped out all of my documents. He had to start over from scratch rebuilding my packet again. I had to resubmit all of my documents (ALWAYS keep a copy for yourself). My packet was sent up this week and there is not enough time for all the battalion reviewers to review/approve my packet and schedule an interview by next Tuesday. In the end, the timing works out for me. Granted, I want to get this over quickly, it is nice knowing I will be home for Christmas/New Year with the family.

Getting kind of ansy. Tomorrow I will be running my first trail race. Doing the 16 mile of the Iron Mountain Trail Run. It has about 4000 feet of elevation gain. I have been training for a while now so I cann't wait to hit the trail in the morning. They have a cool compitetion at the end for the Iron Mointain Man/Woman Award. Who ever does the most push ups, sit ups and pull ups (they count for 3) wins. That woild be a cool.award to have. I'll update tomorrpw post-race. Time for some pasta...

https://sites.google.com/site/ironmountaintrailrun/

• Like 1

Getting kind of ansy. Tomorrow I will be running my first trail race. Doing the 16 mile of the Iron Mountain Trail Run. It has about 4000 feet of elevation gain. I have been training for a while now so I cann't wait to hit the trail in the morning. They have a cool compitetion at the end for the Iron Mointain Man/Woman Award. Who ever does the most push ups, sit ups and pull ups (they count for 3) wins. That woild be a cool.award to have. I'll update tomorrpw post-race. Time for some pasta...

https://sites.google...untaintrailrun/

Good luck! Sounds like fun (and long...)

3hrs 8 min, 13th place. Busted up my knees and hands a good downhill fall in loose rock. Other than that, good race. At least I got to fly for a second. Now, if the Army could have seen that I would be selected for sure.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not as exciting as getting selected, I have been getting phone calls and emails all day today. It is obvious the battalion is reviewing my packet. The recruiters keep having me resign documents they are updating. I should be boarded next week, is what I am being told. Hopefully we will be making the Oct 1 board ready cutoff.

Talk about an inefficient beast! I just got word the only thing holding up my packet at this point is the security interview. Never mind I had a TS in the Air Force and currently have a Secret, I have to go through the security interview with the MEPS I am processing through. Go figure. At least they are willing to do it over the phone and saves me a trip back to MEPS. After that is complete, I should be having my board on Thursday.

• Like 1

Just got back from my battalion board. 75/75

The board consisted of 3 combat vets, an engineer, a MP and an artillery officer. They asked lots of situational combat questions. Like would I protect a downed wingman or provide cover to a unit under fire. Also, we talked about my family and if and how we are ready for the high deployment tempo. I never had the opportunity to ask any questions. All in all, it was very laid back as they just wanted to get to know who I was and if I was the type of person they wanted flying overhead.

The board commander said although it is now up to USAREC, he suggests I start getting my affairs in order and be ready to ship out. Talk about a dose of reality...

• Like 3

I see no reason to doubt being on the Nov 5 board at this time.

He specifically said the other helo went down because of mechanical problems and they were 2kms apart. I said I would try to receive confirmation from the downed helo if they were being engaged by the enemy. Make a determination which needed the most support and call for additional support for the other.

Most of the situational questions appeared to be actually combat situations they were in or witnessed and wanted to see what my reaction would be. They started with the caveat that there is no right or wrong answer and just state what I thought would be best. Obviously, they knew they were asking someone who had not been through the training and wanted to see if I had the ability to reason and make a split second decision, sometimes not having all the pertinent information.