Lakota airframe

I don't know enough about the topic or its relevancy to have a rebuttal to that but I can tell you that as a civilian wanting to get in and fly for the Army I could really care less whether it's a Lakota, UH-60, or a cardboard box with a set of rotors on it.. I want to fly it for the Army. I just like the look of the Lakota with it's bubble nose.

So I guess you'd be OK with CH-47s?

The Lakota is OK. Maintenance is a bit of a pain. On the negative side, our 15Ts have to get A&P qualed to sign off any work. On the positive side, we have gotten 5 15Ts A&P qualified on the Army's dime. Hopefullly they won't shop their new qual to another employer.

Why cant the Lakota deploy? Ive flown in them a few times doing CD stuff. The pilots seemed to be more preoccupied (not to mean they werent flying) with pushing buttons, changing screens and turning dials. Seemed like a lit of work to just hover over tree tops. Not taking anything away from their flying, no problems. There just seemed to be way more chatter going back and forth about things happening on the displays. They may have been training on it too for all I know.

My impression as a back seat guy.....The visibility sucks. The seats werent really in a position to allow for prolonged staring at the ground. The back seemed to not be a very rugged interior. It has nice seats and what seemed to be a normal Eurocopter interior. Looked pretty delicate for stuffing a bunch of grunts into.

GImme a 500 or a 58 or a UH60 any day for the CD mission! Although, 1 cop and 2 FE's looking for righteous reffer laying on the back ramp of a 47 was a lot of fun too :D

Rob Lyman:

The Lakota is OK. Maintenance is a bit of a pain. On the negative side, our 15Ts have to get A&P qualed to sign off any work. On the positive side, we have gotten 5 15Ts A&P qualified on the Army's dime. Hopefullly they won't shop their new qual to another employer.

You mean when URS offers the $80K a year to do the same job as a civilian!?

Edited by Flying Pig