Job Placement Assistance Available?

8 members have voted

1. 1. If your school claimed "job placement assistance available" (as so many do), did they help you find a job?

• Yes, they helped me find a job.
    • No, they did not help me find a job.

Did they ask for help? Flight school owners know people just because they're in the buisness. Job placement assistance could be nothing more then a reference. Or that job placement assistance could be later in your career with some bigger companies when you've got some experience under your belt. Keep a good relationship whith your school. Job placement assistance could be misleading.

Just playin devils advocat but just because your friends didn't get any it could be because they didn't ask for it, it just hasn't come yet, or it is just bs.

Eh, yes and no. The school had a reputation for putting out good pilots and that reputation helped out big time to get my resume under the right person's nose, not to mention all the other former CFI's that were then working for the company I was trying to get hired at who vouched for me.

The owner of the school knew just about everyone it seemed, and he probably could have helped out in landing a bit of a higher level job, but without some significant time under your belt that's really not going to matter much.

Honestly, I don't think anyone at my old school even bothered to ask for help landing a job.

It is hard to offer job placement assistance to someone who just is a bad pilot, or they have a bad attitude, or they stink, ect... Every school has a reputation to maintain and if every gradute was "guareented" a job, and they were horrible pilots, well that would be bad for the school. All a school can do is introduce students to their contacts in the industry. This could be former instructors, students, mechanics, or whomever.

It is hard to offer job placement assistance to someone who just is a bad pilot, or they have a bad attitude, or they stink, ect... Every school has a reputation to maintain and if every gradute was "guareented" a job, and they were horrible pilots, well that would be bad for the school. All a school can do is introduce students to their contacts in the industry. This could be former instructors, students, mechanics, or whomever.

This isn't about being guaranteed a job! When a schools says they will help you find a job, you're going to assume that means they have some contacts in the industry, so that when you do graduate they will at least be able to get you an interview somewhere (perhaps with a place that is familiar with their students)!

Did they ask for help? Flight school owners know people just because they're in the buisness. Job placement assistance could be nothing more then a reference. Or that job placement assistance could be later in your career with some bigger companies when you've got some experience under your belt. Keep a good relationship whith your school. Job placement assistance could be misleading.

Just playin devils advocat but just because your friends didn't get any it could be because they didn't ask for it, it just hasn't come yet, or it is just bs.

I'm just the messenger. I'm curious as well. I have a wife and a kid on the way so finding a job when I graduate is a big deal. Luckily I have an A&P license to fall back on.

One of the two of them got hired on as a flight instructor, the other was a great pilot and student and was told the school has no job placement assistance unless you are a flight instructor who has completed their contractual obligation and is moving on. I'm not expecting my school to find me a job, I have quite a few contacts in aviation so I hope that, my work history, and my training will get me a job in a timely manner.

Edited by superstallion6113

I'm curious as to where you guys are getting your "job placement". Most schools are cut throat. I can only speak from my own experience. Hillsboro Aviation spoke of job placement as well. This is not true for many applicant's i have seen over the years. I was fortunate to be hired as an instructor and I worked for over a year and was laid off with a smack on the ass and a smile. No thank you or we will try to help you just a piss off. The problem is there is so many applicants that there is no way to stand out, even if you have been working there for over a year .. still just as important as when you started. You see a big school like Hillsboro and you think that you may someday be able to work in the Charter/Utility department ... FALSE! They hire one person per year to work Mount St. Helens tours in a 206. You are up against many foreign rich students and instructors. They will pay for there own training and then boom! You are automatically out of the rat race. Hillsboro is a scam. One time a few years ago I went to "Heli Success" and spoke with Mr. RkyMtnHi... kinda disappointing. He speaks such a big game with his awesome school but then when you go looking for help he has nothing much to tell you. I guess you need to spend 600 dollars an hour on an R44!! Thats a little steep!! A little too cocky for my taste... i guess you are paying for allll that mountain time. Sooooo valuable ... in my experience I say no. Piece of mind.

I'm curious as to where you guys are getting your "job placement". Most schools are cut throat. I can only speak from my own experience. Hillsboro Aviation spoke of job placement as well. This is not true for many applicant's i have seen over the years. I was fortunate to be hired as an instructor and I worked for over a year and was laid off with a smack on the ass and a smile. No thank you or we will try to help you just a piss off. The problem is there is so many applicants that there is no way to stand out, even if you have been working there for over a year .. still just as important as when you started. You see a big school like Hillsboro and you think that you may someday be able to work in the Charter/Utility department ... FALSE! They hire one person per year to work Mount St. Helens tours in a 206. You are up against many foreign rich students and instructors. They will pay for there own training and then boom! You are automatically out of the rat race. Hillsboro is a scam. One time a few years ago I went to "Heli Success" and spoke with Mr. RkyMtnHi... kinda disappointing. He speaks such a big game with his awesome school but then when you go looking for help he has nothing much to tell you. I guess you need to spend 600 dollars an hour on an R44!! Thats a little steep!! A little too cocky for my taste... i guess you are paying for allll that mountain time. Sooooo valuable ... in my experience I say no. Piece of mind.

Wow.. this kinda caught me off guard.. i cannot tell you how much time i spend trying to help folks move on in this industry, i've helped place many this year, some i barely knew, and if you know me you will find that the last thing i am is cocky. :-) i am sorta scatter brained sometimes tho, so if i came across as insensitive i apologize now.

I am truly sorry that you have had troubles and would be happy to help you if i can. The first thing you will have to do tho is stop looking at the bad stuff and concentrate on the good and moving forward. If i have learned anything in this business it's that you have to put your head down, push forward, and never ever give up. When things seem bad, or sh*t gets you down, you have to KNOW that it's going to be better and keep moving forward. (lol, i didn't say it was easy, it's the hardest thing i have ever done in my life).

I say all the time that this business is like a co-dependent woman; one day she loves me and the next she wants to kill me, then, she apologizes and loves me for a couple of days. Some times i want to quit, but i have too many folks depending on me and i have no choice but to push... Mike can tell you that i complain all the time, about a lot of stuff; 'why can't it be easier, why can't i help everyone, why do some of the losers move on when there are so many that deserve it better..' It's a tough biz, and the folks that get to where they want are the ones that never, ever give up.

just saying..

please pm me and i'll do my best to help you, but, you'll have to do the hardest part yourself..

very sincerely,

dp

oh yeah, i forgot, my school IS awesome, not because of me, but because we have one of the best teams there is.. and i mean that.

i re-read this when i got up.. this really bothers me to think that i didn't spend enough time with someone or gave them the wrong impression somehow. So, please hear this, if you get pissed at me, or i don't call you back, or anything like that, please tell me... i really do care and try my best to help everyone that i can. I am very busy, in a hurry trying to catch up, and have 'crsrb' (can't remember stuff, really bad). Yesterday i spoke with 38 people on the phone and txted 28 at least once, some many times, and it was a slow Saturday (and that is just my cell, Heli-Ops phones ring constantly). Most week days my daily call count is over 50 and has been over 80. I am not bragging or complaining, just want you to know why i might forget to call you back or be in a rush. Sometimes i have three calls coming in to my cell at the same time and two do not ring thru but go directly to voice mail and then i don't get back to them for hours. If i tell you that i will forward your resume, or make a call on your account.. FOLLOW UP on it. I told a young lady that i would connect her with a chief pilot a couple of days ago, spoke with him yesterday about something different and completely forgot.. had to go back and bug him again. I want to do these things, and help as much as i can, i am just busy.

My point is, have mercy on me and don't give up. If i rub you wrong, at least give me the opportunity to fix it. That being said, and this is NOT ABOUT RYAN, if you have lied, padded your logbook or done someone else wrong it probably won't do you much good to call or contact me because I WILL DO DUE DILIGENCE before i connect\recommend you. If you have done these things or similar, realize it was wrong, and want to try and correct it, that is another matter completely.

sincerely,

dp

I don't "need help" anymore. It's gone and past. Now you have someone in the industry that you blew off and doesn't appreciate you or your company very much. It wasn't a phone call or anything like that. I looked at you in the eyes and said i need help and you told me no. At the same time you don't currently owe me anything and never have. The thing that makes me irate is when i come on here and you boast about how you help everyone... cause thats not true. I just have a few questions for you that have been bothering me. You always speak of this industry like you struggle in it everyday or have went through the paying your dues years. Is this true? As a pilot? What is your background? Who's mike? Who's "depending" on you? A little FYI ... there are companys that pay observers 45 grand a year to sit in the back of an aircraft and work the computer..

" I looked at you in the eyes and said i need help and you told me no. "

never happened.. :-) sounds like you don't know me at all, or, have a hidden agenda.

i might have said i can't help you, but one of my problems is not saying 'no' enough. i wish i could hire everyone, or help place/connect everyone, it's just life i guess.

i will move on to more constructive topics.

sorry you feel this way.

• Like 1

I don't "need help" anymore. It's gone and past. Now you have someone in the industry that you blew off and doesn't appreciate you or your company very much. It wasn't a phone call or anything like that. I looked at you in the eyes and said i need help and you told me no. At the same time you don't currently owe me anything and never have. The thing that makes me irate is when i come on here and you boast about how you help everyone... cause thats not true. I just have a few questions for you that have been bothering me. You always speak of this industry like you struggle in it everyday or have went through the paying your dues years. Is this true? As a pilot? What is your background? Who's mike? Who's "depending" on you? A little FYI ... there are companys that pay observers 45 grand a year to sit in the back of an aircraft and work the computer..

To All,

Here is a great example of an internet hater probably paid to attack various flight schools and individuals.

Those of you that want to make these inaccurate, wasteful posts on here will have no luck moving forward in life and getting along in any job that you may find.

Ryan, why would any school, business or person offer you or someone displaying your atitudes job placement assistance?

There are many pilots, CFIs, business owners & mentors on VR that assist or help anyone and almost everyone that they can. At Heli Success in 2010, I found two pilots jobs through introductions or recommendations. In 2011, that number increased to three. This year I hope to continue that assistance.

Sorry folks but I had to jump in on this as so many of the brotherhood here sincerely try to offer info, guidance and assistance for each other. We differ in our opinions, discuss agree or disagree but there is no need to accept the haters here. VR is much more than hate.

I am Mike

• Like 2

“Flying jobs are scarce”

Depends on ones perspective and experience......

“Aviation is crowded”

Just like everything else in life, you need to find a way to stand out in the crowd. Once you find this “way” the crowd diminishes significantly........

“Not all will find work”

No reason to be concerned about “all”. Concern yourself with you........

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

• " I looked at you in the eyes and said i need help and you told me no. "

never happened.. :-) sounds like you don't know me at all, or, have a hidden agenda.

i might have said i can't help you, but one of my problems is not saying 'no' enough. i wish i could hire everyone, or help place/connect everyone, it's just life i guess.

i will move on to more constructive topics.

sorry you feel this way.

Just out of curiosity, are we talking about people with 200hours being upset that you couldnt find them a job?

“Flying jobs are scarce”

Depends on ones perspective and experience......

“Aviation is crowded”

Just like everything else in life, you need to find a way to stand out in the crowd. Once you find this “way” the crowd diminishes significantly........

“Not all will find work”

No reason to be concerned about “all”. Concern yourself with you........

Hmmm, ok, how about this one?

Can't find job flying

Work at Starbucks for sh*t pay

Come here to complain

“Can't find job flying"

Not complying with “aviation is crowded” solution from above....

“Work at Starbucks for sh*t pay”

Better than being unemployed altogether.....

“Come here to complain”

Next....................

Butters??

I'll never knock Sbux. I worked there for $9.25/hr plus $1.50/hr in tips with a BS in Biochemistry and my CFII-H. They served a purpose at the time...hired me way overqualified and provided excellent health insurance for me and also my then fiance (now husband) when his aviation position was suddenly eliminated, working 20hrs/wk. I am still friends with the awesome people I worked with there even though it was only for 11mo and I've since had 2 flying jobs and moved 1000mi.

Edit: Is this thread asking about CFI jobs or turbine jobs?

“Can't find job flying"

“Work at Starbucks for sh*t pay”

Better than being unemployed altogether.....

“Come here to complain”

Next....................

Logbook too thin, aye

Huge employer said piss off

Want fries with that Sir

Start great job next week

Chopper bought the farm today

Where's the latte foam

All out of haiku

Hang in there Ryan five three

Better luck next year

Edited by eagle5

• 8 years later...