Any Advice on PFT??

Caffeine?

2 minutes of pushups. Rest. 2 minutes of situps. Rest. 2 mile run.

I've seen almost no one do any sort of warm up before the PFT here. Yes, a good warm up could help, but with how regulated the PFT is, the timing can be weird. You have your mandatory rests between events. If you warmed up before everything started, you'd be cold by the run.

I honestly just start my run out slow and let myself warm up the first 1/4 mile before pushing hard that way I don't sprint, lose steam, and slow down early. Test anxiety usually has my heart going before the run starts, anyway.

I warm up regularly for normal workouts, but the PFT just doesn't feel like a normal workout.

Sorry if that isn't much help!

Alright, that makes sense. I was mainly asking about the warming up during the rest period between sit-ups and the run.

Before the test, I always did about a 5-10 minute jog as a warm up and then did about 15 minutes of stretching. You can't really stretch out your muscles if they aren't warmed up, and you shouldn't anyway (to prevent injury). I also did about 20 slow pushups to get my chest and arms loose and warmed up. This was all about 30 minutes or so before the test. Maybe it didn't actually do any good, but I thought it helped. Maybe it was psychological.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maaan, you don't want shin splints. I got them really bad, and had to stop running for months. I had it so bad, that I had X-rays, didn't believe them so got X-rays from a different doc. I can't recommend highly enough that you stretch your legs multiple times throughout the day, especially if you run only on pavement.

Running on a tread mill won't do your run time as much good, but your shins will thank you. Also, I found great success training for a 2 mile run, by running 3, sometimes more. You just have to mentally prepare for the amount of suck that comes with running 2 miles as fast as you can. Good luck man.

Does anyone have a particular routine/advice for warming up before the run for optimal results?

A runner's world article I once read said that the warmup required is inversely proportional to the distance to be run. Short run, long warmup. Long run, short warmup. By Long I mean a marathon. By short, I mean a mile or less. Warmup times would probably meet in the middle around 13 miles.

Also, the colder the temperature, the more warmup clothes you should wear for your warmup, or warm up indoors.

I also do a head shoulders knees and toes style stretching routine as a warmup.

I got a 288 on the APFT!

75 Pushups = over a 100 score

75 Sit-ups = 95 score

13:34 Run = rounded to 93

Congratulations. The hard work is paying off. I honestly don't think they weigh the APFT that high on selection. I've heard from friends your appearence in uniform has more weight. For civilians not sure what they'd look at? When I applied I did two PFTs back to back. One for the Army, and the very next day one for my job in the Marines. Got a 296 on both. Didn't want to do it that way but it was the only time the Army recruiter could schedule it. Of course once you're in, the PFT score has very little value except for personal pride/appearance. It helped my OML in picking aircraft and duty station but as far as OER, they just want to see "passed." Now enlisted? That stuff counts for promotion.

Of course once you're in, the PFT score has very little value except for personal pride/appearance. It helped my OML in picking aircraft and duty station but as far as OER, they just want to see "passed."

That's not always true. Commanders can use your PT score to justify writing good or bad things in your OER, and that senior rater narrative is probably the single most important piece that will determine whether you get promoted.

That's not always true. Commanders can use your PT score to justify writing good or bad things in your OER, and that senior rater narrative is probably the single most important piece that will determine whether you get promoted.

Had friends who barely passed and not a single one had a comment about their PFT on their OER. OER used to have a score listed but of course now it just says passed. In my former unit not a single pilot failed their PFT while several enlisted did. None of us got any positive comments on our OER because of this. All my former commanders cared about is how we looked in uniform and not how high their pilots scored on the PFT. Like you said that isn't always true though.

• 1 month later...

Word of advice...don't stop doing PT once you get selected just because you don't ship out for 6 months. I mean, I know this guy....he's a friend....of a friend. He worked his ass off for 4 months to get a great APFT score and then when he got selected, he decided to reward himself by taking a week off of working out. Well, that turned into 2 weeks and then Thanksgiving was coming up. Then life got in the way, and next thing he knew he hadn't worked out in 2 months!

So, I started he started P90X and now I'm he's sore as f*** and realized he's not nearly in as good of shape as he needs to be. The good news....he still doesn't ship out for 4 1/2 months.

• Like 5

I think for the run at least for me was interval training. For the run it was run at 10mph for a quarter mile. then walk a quarter mile then run a quarter mile. After this i got to where I could do a half mile at 10mph. So I would do a half mile 10mph and then walk a 1/4 mile. do that like 3 times then go down to a 1/4 mile at 10mph walking intervals etc. building your way up the first time i did 2 miles at 10mph I did not realize I had even done it until I realized I went 3 extra minutes at 10mph getting me the full 2 miles! The pushups were prolly the easiest for me. It sounds stupid but it worked. every time you go to the restroom do as many pushups as you can! lol

I second the running intervals to help your times get down. When I was training for the Air Force Special Operations(I washed out) I would run 3 miles of 400 meter intervals on Tuesday, 3 miles of 800 meter intervals on Thursday, and run a moderate pace for 4-6 miles on Saturday. I got down to a 9:08 1.5 mile(what the Air Force runs).

I only do Cals once a year for my PT test. When you can bench your weight for 3 sets of 5 you shouldn't have any problem maxing out the test. Heavy Deadlifts and Squats are two of the best core exercises you can do, they will help you max out your sit ups.

I only ran a 16:05 for my APFT though, the AF Spec Ops selection burned me out on running and I hate it with a burning passion now, which is unfortunate I really used to love it.

The sit ups I would suggest a few things weighted sit ups. On a decline bench have someone throw a balk with you but you want to be explosive.and focus on being east. I would do interval training on it as well.to build up speed knock out as many as you can in 60 seconds wait a few mins repeat and again wait a few mins repeat. Once a week go the whole two mins and see where you stand. Also the sit ups is a place where technique can help a lot. Keep your back arched as your shoulder blades are all that need to hit. So do not flatten out so your hand head hit the group when going down. Also With your hands locked behind your head keep the elbows forward facing towads the person Holding your feet on the down motion of the situp and then on the upward motion swing them to the side so elbows are pointed outward.I know it seems stupid but if it helps you get 2 more that could be the difference between 78 and 80. My APFT was 330

I thought I was in good shape when I started Crossfit. According to my wife I never quit whining and complaining the entire time I was going.

Yeah, going today pretty much made me realize that I have to keep going, because continuing to be in such bad shape is not an option.

Hopefully your gym has quality instructors, the quality control of Crossfit is really shitty and there are some guns where the instructors suck. Make sure your trainers care more about form than they do about reps completed. Olympic lifts when you are fatigued can be dangerous.

Hopefully your gym has quality instructors, the quality control of Crossfit is really shitty and there are some guns where the instructors suck. Make sure your trainers care more about form than they do about reps completed. Olympic lifts when you are fatigued can be dangerous.

Yeah they were definitely 100% about form, which was great. It was all they cared about.