POH's in digital format ?

Hi everyone,

As I begin my journey towards my ppl (as the first step along the path), I'm looking for study resources and helpful documents ... And I notice that there is a definite lack of available documents for the R22 / R44 online (most notably from the manufacturer, who want's to sell you a binder full of paper).

Does anyone else find it odd, that a safety related operating manual is being made hard to get ?

As it's directly related to safety and operations, and most likely NOT "creative works" which apply to copyrights, and more technical and factual works, what are the opinions of y'all about swapping these things digitally (if anyone does have pdf copies).

I'm not big into shady things, and normally just prefer to pay, but I feel like there may be an argument for going all "open-source" on POH's. Anyone got any insight on this ?

Craig

Craig,

Those binders full of paper are actually published documents with standardized sections, some FAA approved.

Most come with a revision service to ensure that they are up to date and valid.

Other publications on various aircraft can be inaccurate and misleading. Here is a review of an R22 book offered on Amazon.com

If you're going to rewrite the POH..., July 15, 2008

This review is from: Robinson R22: A Pilot's Guide (ASA Reference Books) (Paperback)

for godsakes at least rewrite it well! The low-quality of the writing gets in the way of extracting any useful info from this book, and is downright confusing in many places. But what rips me more than anything else is that 95% of the material in this book is from your POH. The rest of it is inapplicable for US students or isn't particularly insightful. Spend some time with your POH and you'll get the official, updated info, straight from Robinson. The POH is well-written and 100% accurate.

Here is one for the R44.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Pilots-Operating-Handbook-Robinson/dp/0983696209/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342965486&sr=1-1&keywords=robinson+r44

This book is well done and I admit by an acquaintance of mine. What keeps this book up to date with changes in a current POH?

Are you finding a factory POH hard to get?

Mike

I know this samantics, but, it's no longer called a POH, the FAA now calls the same document a RFM (Rotorcraft Flight Manual).

Try RFM in rather than POH in your google search. It might have different results.

I called it a POH in front of a Fed and he got all bent out of shape...nothing better to worry about I guess.

Craig, it's not hard to get. All you have to do is go to the website and you can buy them there.

It would be great if the POH could be downloaded, but I don't think by not offering a downloadable version, Robinson is the man, trying to keep us down.

I don't really think by not offering a free copy that it's a safety issue.

First, safety notices can be downloaded from the Robinson web site.

Second, the only realistic way a Robinson is going to jeapordize a persons safety is if they are flying in one, and every Robinson I've flown has had a POH in it.

But, I know what you are saying, looking for a digital POH/flight manual is one of the first things I do when flying a new airframe

Hmmm,

Craig, it's not hard to get. All you have to do is go to the website and you can buy them there.

It would be great if the POH could be downloaded, but I don't think by not offering a downloadable version, Robinson is the man, trying to keep us down.

I don't really think by not offering a free copy that it's a safety issue.

First, safety notices can be downloaded from the Robinson web site.

Second, the only realistic way a Robinson is going to jeapordize a persons safety is if they are flying in one, and every Robinson I've flown has had a POH in it.

But, I know what you are saying, looking for a digital POH/flight manual is one of the first things I do when flying a new airframe

Hmmmm, Then don't be a hoarder and get me a copy of that S-92 manual that I know you have under your mattress :D

I know this samantics, but, it's no longer called a POH, the FAA now calls the same document a RFM (Rotorcraft Flight Manual).

Try RFM in rather than POH in your google search. It might have different results.

I called it a POH in front of a Fed and he got all bent out of shape...nothing better to worry about I guess.

Actually, only the pages that say "FAA Approved" are the "Rotorcraft Flight Manual", everything else is still just the POH!

Tell your Fed buddy that its a Pilots Operating Handbook which includes the Flight Manual, but its still called a POH,...says so right on the cover!,...if you want to piss him off! :)

Edited by pilot#476398

Thanks for all the feedback, gentlemen !

Just a couple of points for me to reply to; I like to study and be abreast of what I'm working on. My CFI (and the R-22) are about a 1.5 hour drive (each way from me) and I get to take lessons once every 2-3 weeks ... having a POH of my own is much more effective for studying !

I did not try searching for RFMs, thank you for the advice and will try promptly ! Thanks !

The place where I am taking lessons, the R-22 is going to time out in about 20 hours, and then they are going to upgrade to an R-44 ... I wanted to learn the R-22, but not sure I needed to sink $40 into the POH of a bird I'm not going to solo ...

But really, the biggest reason I was asking (should have clarified this one up front) is not to be a cheapskate, but because I travel a lot (currently as a non-aviator) and would like to study and have materials on hand ... I'm "the guy" who has all of the FAA pdfs on my iPad, along with some other relevant stuff. Would like the official pdf from Robinson there too, instead of a scan from someone's old POH. I'm just saying.

Thanks for all the discussion and the search ideas ! I like this forum a lot already.

Thanks for all the feedback, gentlemen !

Just a couple of points for me to reply to; I like to study and be abreast of what I'm working on. My CFI (and the R-22) are about a 1.5 hour drive (each way from me) and I get to take lessons once every 2-3 weeks ... having a POH of my own is much more effective for studying !

I did not try searching for RFMs, thank you for the advice and will try promptly ! Thanks !

The place where I am taking lessons, the R-22 is going to time out in about 20 hours, and then they are going to upgrade to an R-44 ... I wanted to learn the R-22, but not sure I needed to sink $40 into the POH of a bird I'm not going to solo ...

But really, the biggest reason I was asking (should have clarified this one up front) is not to be a cheapskate, but because I travel a lot (currently as a non-aviator) and would like to study and have materials on hand ... I'm "the guy" who has all of the FAA pdfs on my iPad, along with some other relevant stuff. Would like the official pdf from Robinson there too, instead of a scan from someone's old POH. I'm just saying.

Thanks for all the discussion and the search ideas ! I like this forum a lot already.

Dude, I don't know your situation, but if I were you, I'd think long and hard about continuing training for the time being. According to SFAR 73 you can't solo an R44 until you reach 20 hours dual instruction IN AN R44. Meaning all these R22 hours you're racking up don't mean ANYTHING regarding solo flight. Those hours count towards everything else (ie night requirements and practical test minimums), but if you do 20 hours in the R22 now, then they ditch it before you solo, you have to do ANOTHER 20 hours in the R44 before you can solo.

Just some food for thought.