WOCS, BOLC & Flight School...My Take

Hey guys, I'd like to chime in on Rucker, having gone through the whole "Rucker Wringer" not too terribly long ago. Here are my suggestions on how to succeed at WOCS & Flight School.

1. WOCS: Just be humble. The first two weeks, everybody will be screwed up some way, shape or form, no matter how right everybody is. Follow the TACSOP, and work closely with your class Standardization Officer for all the 'grey areas' in the TACSOP. I enjoyed the whole experience, the TAC's were extremely professional, but on a whole, I think the school was the easiest military leadership school I've ever done (having come from the Marines).

2. BEFORE Flight School: Once done with WOCS, you'll be in hold with B/1-145 for a month or so until you class up for BOLC. Be prepared to do diagnostic APFT's on a monthly basis. DO NOT FAIL them! It is not a long wait to class up anymore, thanks to some much-needed policy change. That being said, get spooled up on all the TH-67 limitations and emergency procedures. Don;t worry about "memorizing" the whole -10. Just knowing Chapters 5 and 9 will take you far. DO NOT be the guy who goes out in town and spends $500-plus on books, kneeboards and other crap. You will be issued all you need to start. Then, once you get in the hang of things, you will find out what other things you might want, and go from there.

3. STARTING Flight School: If you are not perfect on 5 and 9, don't sweat it. You will be formally taught at the beginning of primary. Contrary to rumor, YOU WILL NOT be tested on it on day 1. Do at least a week's worth of daily questions, probe your IP's brain, and you will be fine. Don't sweat it if you can't hover on your first flight period, aka Nickel Ride. Not many people do. You'll get it eventually!

4. Flight School Academics: Yes, you will double-dip flying and academics. One week, you will have AM flightline and PM academics, and vice versa the next. My personal preference was AM flightline, so I can relax through academics. Yeah, the bus comes at 0445 to head to Cairns AAF, but you'll get used to it.

5. BWS: Basic Warfighter Skills, where everybody goes through the rite of passage of manually preparing a map book. I recommend Velocity Squared out in town, that offers map prep kits and a lightbox for rent. It is worth it, and it beats trying to cover down on a few tables in the tech library on post. It will, however, be a really fun phase of training, and the IP's are awesome.

6. Selection APFT and Platform Selection. Enough said. Just do your best on the APFT. DO NOT FAIL IT! Select the mission, not the aircraft. You will be happier in the long run. That being said, NG pogues are not counted against possible aircraft seats available, so don;t listen to the rumors. You will make your formal request as to where you want to go. They will brief you on who is where and timelines. I was near the top of my class, so I had my choice of platform. Fortunately, I got the platform (UH-60A/L) and duty station (Germany), both were my top picks. Fortunately for my class, everybody got what and where they wanted. I will say that right now, CH-47's are way overstrength, so the possibilities of having one available are slim.

7. Go to War Platform school (AH-64/CH-47/UH-60/OH-58): It's going to be alot of work and studying, but if you've gotten this far, you will be fine. Enjoy it and learn as much as you can.

8. Once you get to your Duty Station: Stay up on your academic and oral knowledge. Make a good first impression. Get to know all the senior Warrants (IP's, TACOPS, Safety, MTP) and leadership group. They do not expect us to be perfect, but prove you are there to be an asset, not a liability. Learn as much as you can and try to get on the flight schedule as much as possible. Once RL1, I recommend hooking up with the MTP chaps. It's free flight time, and half my hours here in country are maintenance test flights, and I have learned alot about the aircraft. Take ownership in your additional duties (to include the fridge fund) and don't hesitate to ask if you don't know.

Other advice: Remember that even though we are pilots by trade, we are officers first. You may be temporarily assigned to a staff job. For example, I was assigned to the Rear Detachment shortly after I got here, since my unit was preparing to deploy. Yes, I was a little frustrated, I won't lie, but there will be a time for military flying later. Just remember that once you cross into the Officer ranks, the game changes!

Enough with my rant! What are your takes?

• Like 4

Hey guys, I'd like to chime in on Rucker, having gone through the whole "Rucker Wringer" not too terribly long ago. Here are my suggestions on how to succeed at WOCS & Flight School.

1. WOCS: Just be humble. ...

6. Selection APFT and Platform Selection. Enough said. Just do your best on the APFT. DO NOT FAIL IT! Select the mission, not the aircraft. You will be happier in the long run. That being said, NG pogues are not counted against possible aircraft seats available, so don;t listen to the rumors. You will make your formal request as to where you want to go. They will brief you on who is where and timelines. I was near the top of my class, so I had my choice of platform. Fortunately, I got the platform (UH-60A/L) and duty station (Germany), both were my top picks. Fortunately for my class, everybody got what and where they wanted. I will say that right now, CH-47's are way overstrength, so the possibilities of having one available are slim.

Just remember that once you cross into the Officer ranks, the game changes!

Enough with my rant! What are your takes?

While overall good information, and generally a good attitude for the flight school/WOJG experience (which is what it's all about... If I have two students perform the same level on the same day...one can pass, and the other fail based solely on attitude.), I think you did yourself a disservice here. It's time to take your own advice, and get your head out of the Marine/enlisted game, learn that we're all doing the same job, and NG aviation is doing their fair share...about 48(?)% of the deployments. There are also quite a few of us down here at Rucker teaching.

While overall good information, and generally a good attitude for the flight school/WOJG experience (which is what it's all about... If I have two students perform the same level on the same day...one can pass, and the other fail based solely on attitude.), I think you did yourself a disservice here. It's time to take your own advice, and get your head out of the Marine/enlisted game, learn that we're all doing the same job, and NG aviation is doing their fair share...about 48(?)% of the deployments. There are also quite a few of us down here at Rucker teaching.

I apologize. I have a ton of friends in the NG, and I know you guys carry a ton of the mission workload. It was a light joke, and I apologize for the offense! One of my IP's in the 60 course is an NG chap, and I enjoyed flying with him immensely!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had to say - that was a phenominal post. Great head-game guide for people heading to Ruckastan.

Better in some ways. Not treated like a retarded child. However, you have more stuff to do on a tight schedule.

And you will come to love room inspections and Discrepancy Cards.

I remember going from BCT to WOCS was a pretty easy transition. You're used to not having any privileges so when you get to WOCS you will be surprised by some things. That wears off pretty quickly though, but you'll slowly gain more and more privileges that make it bearable. I have some great memories from WOCS and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Met some of my best friends there. By the end you are ready to be done, especially considering you have been in lock down for 4 months at that point.

I heard they arent making people make maps for BWS anymore.

Anyone know that for a fact?

if that policy is true, I wish they had it when I was there. Yes, I think the mere existence of AMPS and its capabilities make those huge map books a thing of the past. But, as long as the old guard has a say in policy, making the maps will be a rite of passage.

Better in some ways. Not treated like a retarded child. However, you have more stuff to do on a tight schedule.

And you will come to love room inspections and Discrepancy Cards.

Why diss "Dis Cards"? LOL! WOCS was great times; I enjoyed it immensely, and that's no joke!

My dis card was marked in every single day except one. I just had to laugh about it.

I do agree about the BWS map being a rite of passage. That was a long four days for me. And I didn't get to keep the damn thing either.

Yeah man, I had to turn mine in at the end of the 60 course. It would have made a nice addition to my military adventure collection for my future family, since my book looked great!

I laughed at how some student's map books were all thick and loose, while mine was super flat & tight. When I opened up my stick buddy's book, it practically exploded..lol!!

Good times though, and wouldn't give it up for anything!

• 3 months later...

WOFTApp, a vast amount of that information is dated. I wouldn't use it. It would take me a while to go through all the sections to explain what changed.

You're much better off just going over a current WOCSOP and packing list if you are wanting to prepare for WOCS. That document is from a time when WOCS was a much different sort of course, and much more of a hazing "see if they can make it through" type of course. Now it is more about mentorship and it certainly isn't one of the hardest courses in the Army.

2. Be prepared to do diagnostic APFT's on a monthly basis. DO NOT FAIL them!

3. STARTING Flight School: If you are not perfect on 5 and 9, don't sweat it.

6. That being said, NG pogues are not counted against possible aircraft seats available, so don;t listen to the rumors.

8. Get to know all the senior Warrants (IP's, TACOPS, Safety, MTP) and leadership group.

I recommend hooking up with the MTP chaps.

You may be temporarily assigned to a staff job. For example, I was assigned to the Rear Detachment shortly after I got here, since my unit was preparing to deploy.

1. 5/9 is more important than PT. You state numerous times not to fail a PT test, but say that not being perfect on limits and EP's is nothing to sweat. The day you sit down in the chair you should have 5/9 on lock. I was in primary less than 5 minutes when I was asked to stand and regurgitate fuel PSI. First impressions are everything, especially when it comes to displaying initiative, ability, and willingness to learn.

: Once done with WOCS, you'll be in hold with B/1-145 for a month or so until you class up for BOLC.

STARTING Flight School: If you are not perfect on 5 and 9, don't sweat it.

Check your priorities.

2. I fly every night in combat with "NG Pogues", and they do great work. Respect your fellow aviators.

3. Make yourself known through your work ethic, attitude, and preparedness, not by "getting to know" your leadership group or senior warrants.

• Like 2

I second that in not such a nice manner... Take your "NG Pogues" comment and place it back in your mouth, sir. And youre supposed to be a military officer? Hmmm doesnt sound like one to me yet.