Battalion Board Interview

EDIT.(My advice, also echoing others advice)

I just got a call from my recruiter today. My board date is August 2nd! I have looked over the general questions for the WOFT/OCS boards, and have additionally got some amazing advice from a CW5 about how to prepare.

Any advice/experiences you would like to share? I know there have been many post on here answering some of these questions, I just want to get everything in one place for future/current applicants. (feel free to post links, or copy and past)

General Questions.

-Questions you were asked.

This will vary from one applicant to the next. Be prepared to "tell us a little about yourself"

Some common ones.

Why do you want to be a warrant officer.

Why should we chose you to be a warrant officer.

Why should we trust you with a 20 million dollar helicopter.

How does your family/wife/husband feel about you joining the military.

How do you feel about being deployed and away from your family for long periods of time.

-Number of questions you were asked

I was asked 3, see link below for general question guideline. Be prepared to answer any of those questions, also there will be questions they ask that are not on that guideline. They have different questions for each applicant tailored specifically to each packet.

-How long did the interview last.

Mine lasted around 10 minutes, can range from 5 minutes to over an hour. In my experience the board officers were very laid back and made you as comfortable as possible.

-How to be dressed appropriately.

Nice suit/tie, keep it formal but nothing flashy. Fresh haircut/shave.

-Advice/pointers.

Relax! Before going in front of the board try to get your mind off of it, I talked with other applicants and recruiters and it helped me stay calm tremendously!

When you go to the door, knock firmly 3 times, you will be told to come in. Go and STAND by the side of the chair until they tell you to take a seat. (you should be briefed on this before the interview)

I would recommend practicing some answers out loud , so you don't have umms and ahhhs when answering.

Think before you answer. This does not make you look dumb, I was told to do this by a CW5, you will look and talk more intelligently if you do.

Yes Sir/Yes Ma'am!

Look them straight in the eyes, do not let your eyes wander off.

Sit up straight, put your hands on each leg with fingers pointed forward

After my interview I shook hands with all of them, you may or may not do this.

At the end of the interview ask a question or two to them, I asked why (the president of the board was a Blackhawk pilot) he joined the military.

At the end of the interview thank them for the opportunity.

You are graded 0-25, 25 being the highest by 3 officers, so 75 points possible. You should find out your results after the interview (maybe 5-10 minute wait max)

On a side note, My DA photo was taken before the interview.

Other threads/websites with informative information

http://helicopterfor...election-board/

http://helicopterfor...woft-interview/

http://helicopterfor...iew#entry104510

http://helicopterfor...oard +interview

http://helicopterfor...lion-interview/

http://helicopterfor...lion-interview/

http://forums.milita...m/2370057871001

• Like 8

I wore a navy blue suit, with an appropriate tie. Nothing flashy.

Sit up straght. Make eye contact. Do not use filler words...ummmm, ahhhhhh

As for questions, my board was a joke, so others here might have more specifics.

• Like 3

It was like a formal job interview. Maybe 30 minutes long. I wasn't sure exactly how formal to be, so I erred on the side of being too formal. I just answered each question as it was asked, and waited for the next one.

If I could do it over again, I might be a tad more "conversational."

I expected these questions from the script (there's a complete list of sample questions about 1/3 of the way down the page):

And they did ask a few from this list.

But they mostly asked their own questions. They asked a lot of questions about my first couple of jobs, and we didn't even make it to my current job. I should have kept the conversation moving a little bit better there especially.

But all in all, I got max points from each of the officers and they wrote good comments on my sheet. They really liked the way I presented my packet. It was my recruiter's idea - we prepared 3 identical portfolios of my packet, with color copies of everything (diplomas, LORs, etc) in a nice binder, with tabbed sections and a nice cover page. It was very professional looking and it impressed the officers - they said so.

• Like 2

You and me both. What have you been doing to prepare? I have been practicing answers out load, and have also typed some answers out. What should I include in my "tell me a little about yourself" speech? Where I grew up, graduated from, where I'm going to college, and flying experience etc.

Any last minute advice for drill(Purdue) and I.

Just got back from the board interview, it went great! There were 4 other applicants (for OCS) that were also conducting interviews today. I went last out of all of them and got a 75/75, the highest score out of everyone. The officers were very laid back, the president of the board was a black hawk pilot. We talked about flying which I believe helped alot with my score. they only asked me about 3 questions (one from each of them), along with the beginning of the interview where I explained why I wanted to be a Warrant Officer. It only lasted for about 10 minutes. The best advice I got was "Relax", I talked with other recruiters and the OCS candidates that helped keep my mind off of the interview. I was surprisingly relaxed when my turn came around. The officers were very encouraging and gave some awesome advice. I am going to be boarded with USAREC board in September if my flight physical comes back approved in time.

• Like 3

Just got done with my board and it was easy. The only downside was the president of the board didn't know what AFAST score was a good score and they didn't know much about aviation. They later figured it out and said I scored well. On the bright side I had a good time with them and they were great guys. I feel that I did very well and I will be boarding USAREC on 10 September as well.

• Like 3

Woooo thats super awesome guys great job!!! Cant wait till its my turn to be there too. Hopefully soon. So it appears that it might be a competition between two vertical reference posters to see who gets it or both or none... should be cool!

Just got done with my board and it was easy. The only downside was the president of the board didn't know what AFAST score was a good score and they didn't know much about aviation. They later figured it out and said I scored well. On the bright side I had a good time with them and they were great guys. I feel that I did very well and I will be boarding USAREC on 10 September as well.

Just got back from the board interview, it went great! There were 4 other applicants (for OCS) that were also conducting interviews today. I went last out of all of them and got a 75/75, the highest score out of everyone. The officers were very laid back, the president of the board was a black hawk pilot. We talked about flying which I believe helped alot with my score. they only asked me about 3 questions (one from each of them), along with the beginning of the interview where I explained why I wanted to be a Warrant Officer. It only lasted for about 10 minutes. The best advice I got was "Relax", I talked with other recruiters and the OCS candidates that helped keep my mind off of the interview. I was surprisingly relaxed when my turn came around. The officers were very encouraging and gave some awesome advice. I am going to be boarded with USAREC board in September if my flight physical comes back approved in time.

Awesome guys! My battalion board date is set for 28 August right now, hopefully it doesn't get moved. If all goes well my packet will be in the mix with yours at USAREC in September.

• Like 2

Awesome guys! My battalion board date is set for 28 August right now, hopefully it doesn't get moved. If all goes well my packet will be in the mix with yours at USAREC in September.

Awesome, hopefully we all can make the cut! Getting a little ahead of myself here, however, if selected I am hoping for basic training at Ft Benning (Brothers stationed there).

Awesome, hopefully we all can make the cut! Getting a little ahead of myself here, however, if selected I am hoping for basic training at Ft Benning (Brothers stationed there).

Do you think during basic theyll let you out to visit him? Or maybe after basic there might be time before your ait report date to visit between classes? I dont know just guessing

• Like 1

Do you think during basic theyll let you out to visit him?

Haha. That made me laugh this morning. No. He won't get special visits just because his brother is there. His brother can visit at the same events as the other Soldier's families. :) But at least his brother won't have to travel at all to make the graduation.

Haha. That made me laugh this morning. No. He won't get special visits just because his brother is there. His brother can visit at the same events as the other Soldier's families. :) But at least his brother won't have to travel at all to make the graduation.

Yea I didn't think he would be able to, just after graduation like you mentioned. If I do get selected, I would obviously be at Ft Rucker for 1-2.5 years which is only around 3 hours from where he lives. So I would be able to go visit him without to much driving, then again theres always Panama city B)

I have a question for anyone that's been through the process. I know that AD WOFT applicant submit their packets directly to USAREC via email, but how do civilians do it, since we go to the battalion boar first? Do we submit our packet to the local battalion (with the help of the recruiter?)and then they forward it on to the WOFT board if they recommend us?