Battalion Board Interview

took my guard board yesterday. cant really post details to help as every board is different per state, blah blah blah. i can tell you they were mostly concerned with my family support structure and our family plans for if im accepted what we plan on doing and how. mostly spent the time getting to know me. no set questions just asked whatever they wanted or thought was important. on my board was my SAO who happens to be my batt commander (LTC), a major, a cw3 anf a cw4. lasted about 30 minutes and was not formal by any means what so ever. got a phone call after nd they said i was SELECTED! woooooo! currently there are 6 people that took the same board i did, for the states 8 slots between now and jan2014. colonel said if i can pass theut board shouldnt have any problem with the rest as they are the strictest part of the whole process... one more board "fed rec" to go then its off to wocs.... probably a november class date

Awesome! Good Luck!

awesome! thank you for the info justine. any suggestions as to what to study to prepare for wocs?

I would look on this site and also for TRADOC syllabus/test PowerPoints. At least in OCS, the tests were word for word from the ppt, you just need to get good at pulling out testable information. I am not sure if you have a final FTX were you are graded on TLPs in a STX setting. Could a WO clear that up?

I would look on this site and also for TRADOC syllabus/test PowerPoints. At least in OCS, the tests were word for word from the ppt, you just need to get good at pulling out testable information. I am not sure if you have a final FTX were you are graded on TLPs in a STX setting. Could a WO clear that up?

As far as the academic tests, I highly doubt you'll find any info online, but you can definitely try. The tests aren't too bad, but I really don't think studying in advance would help. You just need to retain the info for that weeks classes, take the test and then dump it and repeat for the next test. Aside from the tests, the go/no go events are the 10k Ruck March (48 lbs under 106 minutes), 2 PT tests, a Military Briefing, Land Nav, Leadership Reaction Course (LRC), and FLX and STX lanes. You can't really prepare for FLX, STX or LRC. The TACs are going to grade you on your leadership ability not the tasks themselves. It's is not an FTX.

The biggest discriminator right now is Land Nav. You could study up on that. They just recently changed the course and its much easier. If you want any pointers on Land Nav, let me know. It's really not very hard if you pay attention. And you get a practice day on a different course (which in my opinion was harder than the actual course).

what sort of material do they teach you week to week? i have no clue besides "leadership stuff"...

FM 6-22

And I disagree that you cant learn 'the leadership stuff'

there is a very systematic way the army does leadership evals on STX, study your TLPs and get comfortable with OPORDs

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There isn't much more I can elaborate on that hasn't been said. The only thing I will say, however, is that my experience was slightly different than everyone else's.

First, I wasn't asked any specific questions about me at all. I was asked about 5-6 questions but they were all generic "what is something you would change..?" and "what is a major hardship you have had to overcome..?" and "why the Army?" etc. LIke others, none of the officers interviewing me were in aviation so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

Secondly, the biggest difference is that I was NOT told the results right away. In fact, I was there with 5 others (all OCS applicants, I was the only WOFT) and none of us were told our results that day. Instead, we were told that our respective recruiters would contact us later that day (Friday) or the following Monday.

Today is the following Monday and I finally got "word" from my recruiter. He didn't tell me any score and he didn't show me any sheet so I can see what the comments were. Instead, I got a text message today that said, "I was told you're good." Which I assume means that I was recommended :rolleyes: .

Not exactly the answer I was looking for but I'll take it. I just wanted to post this in case anyone else goes through a similar experience as me. I know I was stressed like crazy all weekend and today anxiety was especially high (only to feel more confused than relieved from my somewhat ambiguous text received). So if you aren't told your results 5-10min afterwards like most people, it doesn't necessarily mean that you were not recommended.

Also, I'll add, that I was given an opportunity to ask them questions afterwards and I asked the President why he chose military and the Army and I asked the Captain sitting next to him how she handles family and military life. They seemed to appreciate these questions asked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just had my Battalion Board on 8/13. I can really only echo most of what has been said already. I will add this though because it seems a few people have had the same issues. Expect for your date to get changed at least once. With OCS currently frozen, battalion boards seem to be getting cancelled or moved frequently.

My board consisted of a Major and two Captains. Started with the typical tell us about yourself. I had mostly traditional questions. "Why warrant officer", "Why are you doing this so late in life". They did try to rattle me a little bit so be prepared for that. Stay calm, cool, and collected, with what you are trying to show the board and why you think you deserve the opportunity to fly.

Dress like a job interview. I went with a navy blue suit, white shirt, gold tie. Get a haircut the day before so that it is fresh. Like i said, echoing what has already been said and did not really have any surprises. As far as results, was told that they could not show me the comments that day but was told that I got a 75/75 and that my recruiter could pull the forms once they were scanned in for me.

The one tough question for me was, "What if I told you I don't believe you are qualified to be a pilot?" by the Major.

Besides that last question, everything was great.

For me the curveball came after they asked me why I want to do this and why I waited until I was 27. The Major told me that I sound extremely selfish and that I was only doing this for me. That he did not think I had the bigger picture or larger army in mind.

Of what I have read, each board is like a random draw, you never know what you are going to get. For me, I am tired of people telling me what I can or cannot do, so my question really struck a nerve and I wish I would of handled it with more grace. But there you go, lesson learned.

Jeff, good luck on your application, this score on the board will surely help you out. I hope to see you on the other side.

The one tough question for me was, "What if I told you I don't believe you are qualified to be a pilot?" by the Major.

Besides that last question, everything was great.

If you're willing to divulge some idea of your response I'd appreciate it. Not sure how I'd respond. "I'd ask what qualifications I'm missing in your view."

If you're willing to divulge some idea of your response I'd appreciate it. Not sure how I'd respond. "I'd ask what qualifications I'm missing in your view."

For some questions, there is simply no right answer, depending on the person, they might want to hear a different answer.

After telling him that was a tough question, I said:

"With all due respect I have to disagree with you. I might not be qualified now, but the ARMY will make me qualified to be the best or one of the best" and blabbered on for a bit

But again, it hit a big nerve. Another answer could be, "what do you think I need to be qualified?" You do show you are humble, but they might take it as a lack of confidence. But like I said it can go either way.

Keeping it simple and positive is always the best way to go about it, don't open yourself to attack, share your experiences, in my experience, they really liked that.

Just me personally if I received that question, i'd respond with something like "I would ask what you thought I was missing and strengthen that area to the best of my ability"

• 7 months later...

Figure I'd put my 2 cents in here since I have learned a lot reading this thread.

Im a civilian coming from the Portland OR area. I had my board interview yesterday. There were 2 captains, and one major who sat on the board. I was fortunate enough to meet with one of the captains the day before the board. That captain, and a first sergeant, spent about 45 min with me that day and gave me several tips on how to approach the interview and how incredibly important this part of the process is in getting selected for WOFT. I left that meeting actually feeling a little discouraged, I had underestimated the importance of this board interview and was figuring it was going to be just an easy gate to finish before I submit my packet. That was a significant wake up call and made me understand the importance and to really seriously prepare for it.

Some advice I was given by them for the interview:

-YOU have to be in control of the interview. You lead the interview and own the room. Be confident but don't be a dick, and don't be arrogant. Be calm and ready to answer very difficult questions with poise.

-Stay calm and clear your mind before you go in. Breath, relax and be sure of yourself. Visualize succes.

-Bring your suit, don't wear it. The exact words from the first sergeant. "I'm being serious, bring your suit and change 15 min before your interview. Bring a change of underwear, undershirt and socks also. That way you walk into the interview not all warm and sweaty and you feel fresh and look like you came from the dry cleaner"

*I did this exactly, I cannot express to anyone how good I felt putting on all fresh clothing after waiting around for an hour nervously. This was a great tip.

-"We get guys with a 4.0 GPA and perfect test scores who make it into the interview and can't say hi, and they get dropped from the process right there." Said the captain. "I'm pulling for you to make it, you are representing my battalion. I want you to succeed. But if you go in there and don't wow everyone, that's on me, and I'm not voting for you."

My interview was about 30 min long, I was asked about 15 questions. Most of which are found within this thread, as well as some pertaining to my specific packet. Do your due diligence and prepare answers to common questions, rehearse them and be ready to deliver.

At the end they asked me to leave the room as they were going to delegate. About 5 min later they called me and my recruiter in and the major congratulated me, and informed me it was a unanimous decision that they were going to recommend me for a WOFT selection. I told them they just made my year, and was smiling ear to ear. Then the two captains both told me I had an excellent interview and that they wanted me to meet the colonel who is a former little bird pilot from the 160th and that his personality was a lot like mine. So I'm looking forward to that meet and greet they said he has incredible stories.

I hope to open some peoples eyes, who may get the idea from this forum that this interview isn't seriously one of the most, if not THE most important part of the process.

• Like 6