Hello Gentleman (Ladies to!)

My name is Ian, I'm a first time poster that GREATLY appreciates the information on this website. The amount of information that's on this website is invaluable to the aviation community as a whole.

Here's the situation, I'm a member of the Michigan Army National Guard. I was recently accepted by the Flight Board in Michigan and am getting the rest of the things that I need together to submit my flight physical to Rucker.

Being proactive has gotten me this far, I really dont want to quit now. I wanted to see if any of the military aviators on this site (civilians to!) could recommend some study material while I'm waiting for my flight seat?

Sincerely,

WOC Mihlfeld

Honestly? Hmm, well. Do you have any flight experience?

The FAA Rotorcraft flying handbook is a good read.

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/

You could always memorize your 5 and 9s if you have time. You can get the flashcards from the internet. You still have a long road ahead of you before the cockpit though.

Principles of Helicopter Flight by W. J. Wagtendonk

From Amazon:

Recently updated, this comprehensive handbook explains the aerodynamics of helicopter flight, as well as how to perform typical helicopter maneuvers, unlike many aviation training manuals which are strictly how-to guides. Beginning with the basics of aerodynamics, each step of the process is fully illustrated and thoroughly explained—from the physics of helicopter flying and advanced operations to helicopter design and performance—providing helicopter pilots with a sound technical foundation on which to base their in-flight decisions. Containing discussions on the NOTAR (no tail rotor) system, strakes, and frequently misunderstood principles of airspeed and high-altitude operations, this revised edition also includes the latest procedures and regulations from the Federal Aviation Administration.

I don't remember where I saw it recommended but it was very good, I thought. It's focused mostly on Aerodynamics.

Hello Gentleman (Ladies to!)

My name is Ian, I'm a first time poster that GREATLY appreciates the information on this website. The amount of information that's on this website is invaluable to the aviation community as a whole.

Here's the situation, I'm a member of the Michigan Army National Guard. I was recently accepted by the Flight Board in Michigan and am getting the rest of the things that I need together to submit my flight physical to Rucker.

Being proactive has gotten me this far, I really dont want to quit now. I wanted to see if any of the military aviators on this site (civilians to!) could recommend some study material while I'm waiting for my flight seat?

Sincerely,

WOC Mihlfeld

What part of Michigan are you from? I am from Michigan also. Congratulations on your acceptance, I recently completed and passed my battalion board interview, I will be shooting for the September board USAREC.

It's good to be proactive but studying this far ahead wont do you much good. Your short term focus should be on preparing yourself for WOCS and the move down to Rucker.

What I would do if I were you, is read as many books as you can on Army Aviation history. Chickenhawk, Low Level Hell, Firebirds, The Night Stalkers, In the Company of Heroes, etc. There is a whole list of them somewhere on here.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 1

I second SBuzzKill. Great list of books there. They can get you all fired up.

I'd also recommend the novel "Once an Eagle" by Anton Meyer as a great story that expresses a lot about being an officer and service. It is on various military reading lists.

• Like 1

What part of Michigan are you from? I am from Michigan also. Congratulations on your acceptance, I recently completed and passed my battalion board interview, I will be shooting for the September board USAREC.

I'm from Fowlerville actually. I'm currently part of B. Co. 1/112th AVN S&S. Not sure if I will be staying there though, my goal is to fly the new Mike Models that are on their way.

I'm from Fowlerville actually. I'm currently part of B. Co. 1/112th AVN S&S. Not sure if I will be staying there though, my goal is to fly the new Mike Models that are on their way.

99% sure you have to take an advanced aircraft out of flight school. (i.e. blackhawk) Whether you get A/L or M is another matter, though. If you're lucky/unlucky enough to have Lakotas instead of 58s in your state, then you'd have to go through that ALSO. (Unlucky because it's that much longer before you can leave Rucker... some people can't wait to go when it's their time.) So, you'd have to do TH-67, -58, H-60? (or something else if your state has it) and then -72, if necessary.

We're getting Lakota's next year. Michigan currently has UH-60's, CH-47's, and OH-58's. We will be changing from the OH-58's to the UH-72's sometime next year. Will I learn to fly all the models that our state has?

As a general rule, no. You'll get what you're lucky enough to get assigned to. You'll likely go through the -60 course prior to LUH, but if somewhere down the road, -47s had an opening they needed to fill, they might take you over. It's all situationally dependent. My state has A/L and M, and I can't even get the M transition...

Don't study anything, wait till you get to flight school, and study the stuff they teach and how they teach it. Now If you want to just read, then there are plenty of books on the history of Army Aviation. But while you wait, start a PT program, and some weight training. If anything physical endurance is going to be very useful to you. So work on that. The flying will wear you out, the stronger and more physically fit you are the better. Get a leg up on the time you have between now and your school date.

• Like 1

Plus if you can max the PT test you have a good chance of bumping yourself up 4 or 5 slots on the OML. Your entire class will most likely be very close grade wise, this seems to be the trend. You will have one or two at each end who are the extremes, but 90% of the guys will be close enough in grades that the PT test determines the OML.

This is estimation but the spread in my class was like 85%-95%. After the PT test everyone was shifted around, guys who were 88% in IERW were ahead on the OML of guys who were 94%.

Edited by SBuzzkill