Training (BCT, WOCS, etc) and Family

You don't have much time at all. You will get family day on post, and graduation day off post, but it's like a 9-5 thing each day then you're back in the barracks. Early the morning after graduation you will be getting up, gathering your things downstairs and waiting to get on the bus to Rucker. That means you have 2 short days with your family in between BCT and WOCS.

They will let your family drive you down if your family wants to rent a car and drive you that far. I didn't take that route even though my family was willing to do it. Honestly I think it made the transition easier because after graduation day my family was once again out of sight out of mind.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be scared off by the cold. I think it's worse to go when the temperature is changing. If it's constantly cold you'll get used to it and you'll have all the cold weather equipment you'll need. If it's changing it can be the drill sergeant's call what the uniform is and at some point they'll get it horribly wrong. I went through Jackson from Feb-Apr and the field exercise at the end was the coldest I've ever been. It was about 40 degrees with light rain every day. I was looking forward to getting back to the barracks and feeling heat again, but they had switched from heat to AC while we were away.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

is there any way to verify security clearance before shipping to BCT?

I assume the MEPS security person has access to JPAS (pronounced J-pass). See if you can get in touch with them and see what comes up in the system.

is there any way to verify security clearance before shipping to BCT?

Nope. It won't be done before you go. We didn't have any issues with clearances in my class once we got there, did have several expired flight physicals which kept them from starting.

Nope. It won't be done before you go. We didn't have any issues with clearances in my class once we got there, did have several expired flight physicals which kept them from starting.

Just to verify, initial flight physical completed for selection packet is valid for 18 months (according to AR40-501) and it need to valid prior to starting WOCS correct? Does everyone update their flight physical as a group at some point in WOCS or right after?

• 1 month later...

For a power of attorney, is there anything specific that needs to be included to allow my wife to take care of on base housing if I am not able to after WOCS?

I spoke to the Rucker housing office a few weeks ago and they said there is some specific wording they require when using a POA for on-post housing. I found the phone number easily on their website. I suggest you call and ask them directly as they are the ones who will be accepting it.