OH-58 VS. UH-60

But that's like saying if you were AF, you would pick a C-130 or C-17 over a F-22 or F-15. Granted the Globemaster is a nice ride and you would get to see a lot of places on the short TDYs. The Hercules is a pain. Pain to ride in, pain to listen to, and pain to look at (although the J model is a nice upgrade). I was stationed at Little Rock AFB for 4 years. If I never hear a C-130 throttle up and do an engine test again, it will be too soon.

I grew up obsessed with fighters. So I'd love to sit and work on one every day. Who knows, I may one day get a courtesy ride from the pilot; which would be infinitely cooler than any transport.

Kind of an off comparison... I see your point though.

If I never hear a C-130 throttle up and do an engine test again, it will be too soon.

I have that same aversion to AV-8's. Loud bastards. I swear the mechs were doing it to piss us off.

So I bet you love watching the end of "True Lies"??

That is part is bad-ass. But listening to one on the high-power pad from 2 miles away and not being able to hold a conversation with the person standing next to you sucks. It is also very fun trying to sleep when they are doing bounces on a little deck carrier. My berthing was right below the flight deck. Outstanding!!

Can't believe I forgot the best thing about flying Black Hawks. You get a crap load of coins from VIPs!

:lol:

I have a ridiculous amount of coins. I don't even know what to do with them all.

Third tour coming up...let's see if I can get a good amount again.

:lol:

I have a ridiculous amount of coins. I don't even know what to do with them all.

Third tour coming up...let's see if I can get a good amount again.

I always got stiffed on the coin front. However, I was always happy when pax wouldn't leave their trash on my plane. The current Commandant (former 2 MEF CG) left his chewed up stogie sitting on my troop seat. I was not a happy crewchief after that flight. Bodily fluids . . . fine, just need a cc cart and hose. ABC Cigar . . . insult to injury after waiting for him for 2 hours in Fallujah (LZ Junkyard).

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure its totally adjustable.

The Kiowa has adjustable pedals, the right seat cyclic is adjustable fore and aft, and you can remove the seatback cushion for more room.

Im a big guy. Its a squeeze.

i sat in both the uh60 and kiowa and believe it or not i felt better in the kiowa im not sure if that was just because the 60 seats were not adjusted for a big guy like me or not but the kiowa was nice

The seats in the 60 are adjustable fore aft and vertical. The pedals are also adjustable. Great aircraft for short and tall people.

Crewing can mess up your back pretty good. I mean actually flying with the helicopter...Not giving it a limp wristed salute as it leaves. I felt that needed clarification for an apache maintenance kid.

Hey man, I deliver delicious crisp salutes, and I'm a civ these days.

• Like 1

Crewing can mess up your back pretty good. I mean actually flying with the helicopter...Not giving it a limp wristed salute as it leaves. I felt that needed clarification for an apache maintenance kid.

Yeah 40 lbs of gear and sitting on a tool box behind your gun for 6 hours at a stretch is not a good thing. Oh and handling seabags and MOLLE packs that feel like someone brought their pet pleasure midget on deployment. Definitely carried lots o Tylenol.

• Like 1

I was told that during the selection that happened about two weeks ago, there were two 58's and 2 or 3 64's that went last. Everyone wanted 60's.

Its really based on the personalities in the class. Eight months ago, the four 58s were the first to go, then most the Apaches - the single 47 went to number 10, and the rest took the hawks. We had seven or eight guys really hoping for Kiowas.

Yea you cant ever predict the aircraft available and people change their minds.

Seriously, get a 300APFT and you can almost guarantee you will get to select something.

• Like 1

Selection is a crapshoot we had 2 x 58's, 1 x 47, 1 x 64 and 29 x 60's. sooo not much for a choice. Stay flexible and don't commit to anything g before the selection. Don't be the guy who gets a license plate that says 58drvr and walk away with a Blackhawk.

Yea you cant ever predict the aircraft available and people change their minds.

Seriously, get a 300APFT and you can almost guarantee you will get to select something.

Lol! That was me man. Had two of them. One in WOCS and one in WOBC. You all don't have to be smart to get your aircraft of choice. Just run fast! :)

I was told that they had fixed that system at Rucker but since the RLO's are so ridiculous about PRT I could see them putting an emphasis on that BS. Take the A/L over the M it's like flying a piece of history and you get cool duty stations like egypt and korea :lol:

To reiterate what Joe said, be flexible. I was third in my class. All A/Ls and 2 -58s. Bravo Co. said they needed to fill 20 some seats in the last A/L class of the fiscal year. My class paid for it.

I did get my number one pick for assignments.

I was told from day one though, if you try hard, do well on PT and are top 5, you'll get what you want. Not true. At the end of the day though, you are flying. Well atleast once a month (which seems to be the trend where I am).

• Like 1