national guard WOFT

I spoke to a national guard recruiter today and he told me that I would not be able to apply directly for flight school and would have to enlist as a mechanic or some other aviation related job then wait about a year and then apply for flight school is this true? Is there any way to get the WOFT other than active duty? I would really like to attend and finish college so I was looking at the guard side of things. Thanks for the help all

Im in your exact same boat... What i know is what he said is true. If you enlist in anything 15 series and while you guard it up enlisted for a year or whenever you can use tuition assistance to get your education to where you want... Theres the gi bill too... Also make sure if youre going to enlist you pick something you like doing cause you might never get to fly. Unlikely but the chance is there. After all the active duty recruiting headaches lately im looking into going the guard route and completing my bachelors (im almost halfway there now) while i submit my packet.

New York, I just hate to leave college for basic and MOS school then start school again and maybe get a flight slot that I have to leave again for. Also the fact that I may never get to fly sucks but it is what it is I guess

I looked up jobs and theres an opening for 15P in Ronkonkoma, which is where Im flight training now, is 15P a good mos to help me transfer over to woft?

Edited by cryesis

I feel like if I do the military after college Ill be too old to start a career when my contract is up, If I do national guard now ill be comitted to one weekend a month and 2 in the summer unless deployed which means I could take the FDNY ems job I'm offered or the NYPD job once I meet the age and college requirements

Being a pilot is my career, hopefully for NYPD aviation unit, FDNY ems is nice because they offered the job for october and the time counts twords NYPD, If the military doesnt work out or I never get a pilot slot I have to take the NYPD test again and hope I get called again, where If I go now before I'm 21, ill be in the ANG before the NYPD and they have to hold the job for me

Well your case is way more complex than mine thats for sure... I can say you have plenty of time being that your not even 21 yet to figure it out so dont rush into anything. Pick a path and start down it. If i were you id take your job thats offered and continue on with school and life.. Once you have your degree if you choose to join then they have to hold your job too so keep that in mind...

It is a long process to become a military pilot. Just be sure you really want it before you start the process. It can be long an involved!

You have some great options though. Active Army, NYPD, FDNY, National Guard. All can be great careers. Have fun picking your path.

You can't join without your COs discretion in the NYPD or FDNY.....good luck getting permission for that lol

They're all great options which is what makes the career choice so hard, I would love army aviation for the experience and training but deciding on NG vs. Active vs. ROTC is a dilemma also. Then NYPD isn't a guaranteed pilot slot and FDNY is just to add time toward NYPD years of service. I would also hate to choose the military route and not be accepted for flight!

It is still a good career, even as an enlisted. Plus it can pay for college and give you experience. I was enlisted for 8 years before I went to flight school. No regrets.

You really can't go wrong with starting out going to college, though. It seldom closes doors, and it is really good if you are on the fence about big choices.

Anyone have input on the likelihood of transferring from 15p to WOFT in the guard?

Every guard unit is going to be different, and people get to WOFT from all MOS paths. I went from the Air National Guard to the Army Guard. Poke around on some of the threads in here and there is lots of discussion about future plans and advice for career moves trying to setup for WOFT.

If you are doing it for just the flight time, regardless of ROTC or OCS vs WOCS, then you might be disappointed. Remember the military wants something out of you, too, and that isn't always copious amount of flight hours. It might be for you to work hard in a staff position. Who knows.

The reason there are apparent contradictions is because no two careers are the same. There are officers that fly more than warrant officers. Generally, warrant officers have longer flight careers. But there are exceptions to every rule, and there are a great many officers toting around big log books.

Remember that any advice or comment you see on this forum is a slice of perspective. The military (along with pretty much everything else) is a complicated beast and there are few hard and fast rules. Take everything with a grain of salt.

People seem to always want the best answers for them personally, or things that are very definitive, but it just isn't realistic. The needs of the Army today are different than they were yesterday and they are going to be tomorrow.

It helps to want to be a pilot AND want to be in the military at the same time, just in case half of the equation falls through.

Just my 2 cents. Don't forget to add salt! :)

• Like 1

Ive always wanted to be in the military but never took the plunge, I would prefer to fly but Id be happy working in aviation at all, its just a rough time right now trying to figure everything out and what to do. Im meeting with the active recruiter tomorrow and the guard recruiter on thursday to go over options and ultimately help me decide what to do. I haven't looked into the ROTC option too much although it is also an option that would allow me to do college and military at the same time, the only thing is theres no aviation branch guarantee. Although if I go 15p under the SMP while in ROTC I can't see them not branching me aviation....am I right to think that or will they drop me wherever they deem necessary?

Edited by cryesis

Ive always wanted to be in the military but never took the plunge, I would prefer to fly but Id be happy working in aviation at all, its just a rough time right now trying to figure everything out and what to do. Im meeting with the active recruiter tomorrow and the guard recruiter on thursday to go over options and ultimately help me decide what to do. I haven't looked into the ROTC option too much although it is also an option that would allow me to do college and military at the same time, the only thing is theres no aviation branch guarantee. Although if I go 15p under the SMP while in ROTC I can't see them not branching me aviation....am I right to think that or will they drop me wherever they deem necessary?

They'll put you wherever they want. Are you set on 15P because it's the shortest aviation AIT?

I thought there was something about giving them more time on your service obligation to get your branch choice. Could be wrong.

15P is more of a clerical position. At least in my task force they sit in an office all day by the radio taking A or Z calls and calling in flight plans and updating paperwork. Maybe that's up your alley but they don't ever touch a helicopter.

Edited by SBuzzkill

15P is more of a clerical position. At least in my task force they sit in an office all day by the radio taking A or Z calls and calling in flight plans and updating paperwork. Maybe that's up your alley but they don't ever touch a helicopter.

Do they meet people that would help with the WOFT packet though, or would a mechanic position be better?

It's been many years since I checked into it, but SMP used to be a guaranteed position. The key was finding a unit willing to accept you. Ask lots of questions about SMP, because if you can find an aviation unit that is willing/able to take you as an SMP cadet, that may well be a guaranteed path to a gold bar (ROTC) and flight school.

Also, I will echo what others have said. There are no real guarantees in life. Even if you get something in writing, stuff happens and things can change. Don't join the Army, or the NYFD, or the NYPD unless you really want to be a soldier, or a firefighter, or a cop first and foremost.

I'm a guard WOFT candidate transferring from Infantry to Aviation. We are in the feild right now so when I get back I'll answer a bunch of questions on what WI WOFT is like.

awesome!!!

pops popcorn and gets a notepad