Intro/Interested in WOFT

I used this template from the ArmyOCS website. I thought it was a pretty good template to use when making an intro and providing enough information about myself so that others could answer any questions I may have based on what I have provided below.

1) Username – Jay1829

2) Hometown – Momence, IL

3) Military Experience - None

4) Age - 29

5) School – Liberty University

6) Major – Criminal Justice

7) Minor – Business Administration

8) Progress Towards Graduation – Graduated May of 2012

9) GPA – 3.6

10) Sports – Tennis, Volleyball, Occasional Backyard Football

11) Activities – Walking/Running local park trails, Bicycling, and Tennis when I can get someone to play against.

12) APFT –

13) Why I Want to be a Army Officer – I want to be a part of something larger than myself. I do not have the desire to work at a typical 9 to 5 job. I enjoy challenges and in my opinion, being an Army Officer is a position that would meet all of the expectations that I look for in a career. I want a career that is honorable and I want to make my family, friends and country proud. My main goal is to leave my mark on future generations.

14) Possible Branch Interest (i.e. Infantry, Aviation, Signal Corps) – Aviation

15) Current Progress Towards Application – In the process of finding out more information about WOFT before I see a recruiter.

16) Component Applying For (Regular Army, Army Reserve, National Guard) – Regular Army WOFT Program

17) Additional Comments – Other background information that might or might not be of value for selection as an Army Officer:

1. I have been an Auxiliary Police Officer for Kankakee County Sheriff’s Department from 2005-2008. After making the choice to attend college full time along with a full time work schedule, I was no longer able to volunteer adequate amounts of time for the department. I was asked, under good terms, if I would resign in order to make room on the full roster for new recruits who held an interest to get a fill for police work.

2. I held a senior position for a previous job where I was entrusted with the responsibility of training new employees. I was also giving the responsibility to preform closing duties when regular scheduled managers were not able to come in that day or were on vacation

3. I have had the opportunity to be a game time leader for kids in our local church AWANA group

4. I was the captain of a paintball team that I organized during and for a few years after high school.

5. I am a member of TAU SIGMA National Honors Society for my freshmen year and a member of Alpha Phi Sigma National Criminal Justice Honor Society for my senior year. I was on the Dean's List three out of the 4 semesters I attended Liberty University and graduated Cum Laude.

With all of the information that I could think of on the table, I wanted to know what my chances would be for getting selected, what I need to work on, and what types of information I might need to know about WOFT. I am currently 6lbs over the weight limit, but losing that shouldn’t be a problem. I have started running more and I can do 35 pushups in a minute and 31 set ups in a minute. I have not timed my run yet though. What I have learned so far from everyone's postings that I have had the opportunity to read through is that finding a recruiter to work with you can be extremely difficult. You basically have take care of the packet on your own and I'm looking to start that process as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time and information,

Jay1829

• Like 1

Jay, welcome to the forum. I'm sure that anyone here would tell you that we have no idea what your chances are. It's all up to the needs of the Army at the time of your board, and how many applicants there are.

However, it looks like you have a good base with your degree and especially your GPA. It's a long process to get everything together that you need for WOFT. I think that if you start working on your PT now, and really bust your butt, you'll be fine. When I started, I could only do about 20 pushups/situps and could barely run a mile.

It is definitely beneficial to find a good recruiter that will work with you. Find your local recruiter and be upfront and honest with him about what you want and how bad you are willing to work for it. If he doesn't seem willing to help, or only wants you to enlist, find another one. A lot of stuff you can get done on your own (LORs, "Why I Want to Be an Army Aviator" essay, resume, all your background info, fitness, etc), but you will need a recruiter to schedule you for testing (ASVAB and AFAST/SIFT), MEPS, flight physical, and battalion board, as well as getting all your info into the system.

As is said many times on the forum, just put together the best packet that you possibly can, and hope for the best. Whether or not we think you are competative is not going to make a difference one way or the other.

Make sure to check out Lindsey's post, it is really helpful.

http://helicopterfor...light-training/

Some things that may be disqualifying are vision worse than 20/50, or law violations.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

The only thing i will add is the following link for civilian WOFT applicants. It is a guide for all that goes into the packet. 01celicaGTS said everything else that is important.

Search the forums and threads that have activity in the last few months. There is a lot of good information here.

Welcome and good luck.

• Like 1

Thank you for your suggestions, information, and opinions. Hey Lindsey, thanks for steering me in the direction of this site. I have started working on the SF-86 form today. Man that form is long lol.

I know my PT is pretty weak at the moment. I am working hard to try and get to where I need to be physically. My goal is to make the Jan 2013 Board. Not sure on how realistic that expectation is, but that is what I am shooting for. I have a few individuals lined up for the LOR's. The one thing that I am unsure of is how to go through the proper channels to set up an interview with a Senior Warrant Officer or a CO that is a CPT or higher. I will probably get started on the essay this weekend as well. For the resume portion of the packet, do you put it together just like you would for a regular civilian job or is there a different format it should be in?

I am also in the process of finding and piecing together all the forms that are needed for the WOFT packet. The recruiter station that is in my area has been reluctant to lend a hand, so I'm stepping up and getting as much of it done on my own as I can. They seem to want me to enlist as an MP, because of my degree more, than anything else. I've gotten next to no info about OCS (Hate that I am to old to go this route lol) or WOFT from the recruiting station, probably because they are unfamiliar with the process.

Thanks for the welcomes to the site. Glad to be here and expand my knowledge on the WOFT process. I have learned a great deal in the last week thanks to everyone on this site and others sites that I have been browsing through.

Jay

Jay, I would personally not try to fill out all the forms yourself. If the closest recruiting station is reluctant to help then find the next closest office and talk to them.

As far as getting in touch with a senior WO, the other thing you can try is looking for a reserve unit that might be near by. But ask people you know if they know any aviators or if they know anyone that knows an aviator that you can get in touch with. My CW4 LOR came through a good friend whose cousin is a pilot and the cousin put me in touch with the standardization pilot from his unit. Point is, reach out to friends and family, you never know.

The only thing i will add is the following link for civilian WOFT applicants. It is a guide for all that goes into the packet. 01celicaGTS said everything else that is important.

Search the forums and threads that have activity in the last few months. There is a lot of good information here.

Welcome and good luck.

Just realized I forgot the link...sorry about that.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to check in and say progress is still going slow. The recruiting station in my area is not willing to let me get started on the packet until I reach the weight requirements. I personally feel that is a waste of valuable time that could be used for making progress in 2 areas at once, but that's me. Current weight is now 199lb. So I am pretty close. Been hitting the cycling hard to burn those cals (5hrs worth yesterday no joke).

I have started working on acquiring my LOR's and Essay. I asked a recruiter on how I could go about setting up an interview with a Warrant Officer or a Capt, etc but he informed me that they wouldn't interview me for a LOR until I meet all enlistment requirements. So still have to work on getting that LOR eventually.

All in all, staying positive and working on what I can work on to get the process moving forward. I just wish I could be more pro active on more of the packet while waiting on the weight drop.

I got 2 LOR's completed today. Both are from previous professors at Liberty University. 4 more to go. I also got the typed version of my essay completed. The hand written portion is more difficult than I thought it would be, mainly because I am never happy with my penmanship.

Wanted to get some thoughts about getting the maximum amount of LORs compared to the required 3.

I was leaning towards getting all 6 letters. I want at least 2 of the 6 to come from CWO's or CO's if I can get them. I'm still working on getting a LOR from the Helms School of Government Dean at Liberty, but no reply yet. I think my next 1, or 2 depending on what happens with the Dean, will come from individuals in the Law Enforcement field. One is a Deputy Sheriff that I have worked with and known for 13 yrs or so. The other guy I have known for 10 yrs and he is the Chief of Police. I think they know me well enough to describe my qualities, good or bad, pretty well.