Xavier, I think you might make the cutoff for November. When I was looking at the schedule at the recruiting station I believe the cutoff was October 20-something. Your recruiter should be able to get you that info. If not, the SC should be able to.

My local board isn't until 20 October, so I doubt I will make the November board. But if the civilian board is every month vs. every other month, I might be able to make the December board and save a month of wringing my hands waiting for a response. Either way, it looks like I'll be taking the SIFT.

I think you'll make the cutoff for November. When I did my Battalion board my recruiters got my scores in the next day so you should be fine.

Hurt13, would you mind sharing your stats as well?

ASVAB: 124 GT

AFAST: 142

Board: 71/75

APFT: 297

LORs: Pastor, Civil Air Patrol Commander, State Senator, retired LTC. AH-64 pilot, another retired LTC., and VP of a bank.

Physical: approved

HS GPA: 3.9

Currently attending college

• Like 2

Hurt13! Good luck. You're in a pretty sweet position being 18, even if you don't get picked up. Most people wish they were ready and had started toward WOFT that young.

Good luck. I went through WOCS with a couple under 20 guys, both of them are now in the Apache course.

Keep adding to your impressive resume and you'll be flying before you can blink.

Thank you Lindsey, the one thing I'm worried about with my packet is not having the college credits most applicants have.

Like heloidaho said, you may not have the college credits yet, but you have time; something most of us are running low on. You deserve some credit for being squared away at 18. Good Luck!

Yeah I'm unsure as well. Still don't know anyone who has taken it. Hopefully we get an update about it really soon. I would love to keep my AFAST score. Maybe they will include both in the packet? I would be more than happy with that.

didnt you take your afast a while ago ? what has held you up from turning in a complete packet or is this NOT your first time up for woft?

didnt you take your afast a while ago ? what has held you up from turning in a complete packet or is this NOT your first time up for woft?

Packet-wise, PT and a height (well, total arm reach) waiver has held me up, although neither of these are good excuses. I took time off from working on my packet and my PT (regrettably) to focus on becoming a civilian helicopter flight instructor, because that was my other dream. I have achieved that goal, am an instructor now, and thus I am more than overdue to finally submit a packet. It has been 3 years since I first contacted my recruiter, and I have wanted this since I was 12.

I am aiming for a December board.

6 years prior service Army helicopter mechanic

ASVAB: 129

College: B.S. Physics/Mathematics, GPA: 3.45

Master's in Systems Analysis GPA: 3.83

LOR: O-5 Navy Fixed wing pilot

O-4 Navy Rotory wing pilot

O-6 Navy CO

GS-14 Civilian pilot

GS-14 Supervisor

Army pilot (I've scheduled a meet and greet, but don't know the rank yet.)

PT: haven't taken yet, but should get around 260

SIFT: ??????

At 36, I know I've got about a snowballs chance in hell, but I have to give it a try. It has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid and every time, there has always been something standing in my way. For the first time, the door is cracked open and I plan on pushing as hard as I can against it to get in.

I don't think I will make the cuttoff for November. They won't schedule my flight physical until after I do the local board. Also, my age waiver (assuming it gets accepted) will take a couple of weeks at least. I'm hoping with the low number of applicants, they approve my waiver just to get a larger pool of aplications at the board.

• Like 1

68D Powertrain repairer.

I can't do the gaurd or reserve route, I have promised my wife we would move to Germany for a couple of years, so if WOFT doesn't pan out, I'll be getting an Army civilian job over there. I'm also not interested in being a walking warrant. As much as I miss being in, I can only justify the sacrifices to my family is by fulfilling my dream of being an Army Aviator.

• Like 1

Packet-wise, PT and a height (well, total arm reach) waiver has held me up, although neither of these are good excuses. I took time off from working on my packet and my PT (regrettably) to focus on becoming a civilian helicopter flight instructor, because that was my other dream. I have achieved that goal, am an instructor now, and thus I am more than overdue to finally submit a packet. It has been 3 years since I first contacted my recruiter, and I have wanted this since I was 12.

I am aiming for a December board.

We're aiming for the the same board.....and both are the test dummies for the SIFT. LMAO. I hope we both fufill our dreams. My dream was to go back in the navy as a Pilot, because being a backseater really put a fire in my butt to bet a pilot. My age and me not finished with school has caused me to go this route instead. I must say, it will be just as good so i really hope im one of the fortunate few that get to fly in the military. I was going to apply in early 2011 but was overweight.....i have since lost 33lbs and feel sooo much better. Im good to go now, but still going to lose another 10lbs or so.

Do you have an idea when your going to take the test? I assume you still have to get a FLT phys and batt board too

Im just thankful i finally got my PRK approved....it took a long time, which made me a bit nervous. Now its the SIFT/1st physical, then the Flt Phys, then Batt board. I really want to get those done by end of NOV.

P.S. You have been on here a while, so you probably seen a good number of people who posted stats and then results on acceptance or not. What do you think about my chances ? I posted my stats a few days ago, dont know if you had a chance to see them

So I see they have changed the numbering for my MOS. What was a 68D 12 years ago, is now a 15D.

Well i was gonna ask you how you liked your mos and if there was anything about your mos choice you regret but 12 years ago might not be very relevant to today...

We're aiming for the the same board.....and both are the test dummies for the SIFT. LMAO. I hope we both fufill our dreams. My dream was to go back in the navy as a Pilot, because being a backseater really put a fire in my butt to bet a pilot. My age and me not finished with school has caused me to go this route instead. I must say, it will be just as good so i really hope im one of the fortunate few that get to fly in the military. I was going to apply in early 2011 but was overweight.....i have since lost 33lbs and feel sooo much better. Im good to go now, but still going to lose another 10lbs or so.

Yeah, I've got a few pounds to lose as well. Working hard on it.

Do you have an idea when your going to take the test? I assume you still have to get a FLT phys and batt board too

A lot of things in my packet have expired or need to be redone since it was so long ago. In fact, the AFAST was one of the few things that didn't expire, and naturally they are replacing it. <_ only myself to blame however. so i have retake the asvab flight physical go for my height waiver if still need it get new lors take a pt test batt board etc. yeah everything except meps phys.>

Im just thankful i finally got my PRK approved....it took a long time, which made me a bit nervous. Now its the SIFT/1st physical, then the Flt Phys, then Batt board. I really want to get those done by end of NOV.

I'm about to start the hunt for a new recruiter (old one moved across the country) and then get started on this stuff. Thank goodness I still have all my old paperwork.

P.S. You have been on here a while, so you probably seen a good number of people who posted stats and then results on acceptance or not. What do you think about my chances ? I posted my stats a few days ago, dont know if you had a chance to see them

Not only did I see them, I also replied. ;) Have you written up an essay and resume yet? You look like you've got a solid shot. I wouldn't worry about the college. Like I said, I know a guy who had zero college credits get in. You are working on a mechanical engineering degree, which is something I know the OCS boards are loving right now. I imagine WOFT boards may like it as well, whether you have finished it or not.

Well i was gonna ask you how you liked your mos and if there was anything about your mos choice you regret but 12 years ago might not be very relevant to today...

Well, I'm sure it hasn't changed much. If you want a chance to fly backseat, be a 60 crew chief. You will get a lot of ride time and flight pay (assuming you are a competent mechanic). I would stay away from the 64 and 58 crew chief slots as you wont get flight pay and your relationship with your pilot will be slightly different as you don't fly with them. I don't know anything about the Chinooks, I was never in a Chinook unit.

You are going to have two platoons in each company that works on the aircraft, shops and crew chiefs. If you want to work on the aircraft stay out of the crew chief slots. The Crew chief is responsible for keeping a single aircraft flight ready, so you basically do a lot of inspections on the aircraft. If anything is broken your involvement is just removing the part and giving it to the shops platoon. Within the shops platoon you have powertrain, engine, hydraulics, sheet metal, electronics and avionics. These are the people that actually tear things apart and rebuild them; it is pretty fun work with a lot of impressive equipment. The downside is that you will have a lot of down time. And I mean a lot. Unlike civi life, downtime in the Army is bad. When you have downtime, you will cut grass, clean the bathrooms, move giant piles of equipment from one side of the room to the other side of the room, just plain ridiculous stuff. I would estimate that my 6 years as a mechanic involved less than 1 year of working on the aircraft. But when you do work on them it is a gratifying experience.

• 3 weeks later...

update: I just passed my security interview, it went really good and the guy was very understandable when I was talking about the mistakes I have done in the past. The entire interview was made in a very conversational way and the mood was very possitive even tough I have a collection of tickets and other things almost as big as my Classic Rock music collection..

For those whose sec interview is coming up.. relax, speak the thruth, take responsibility for your actions and clearly state what you have learned from your mistakes.