Ahh, that makes more sense.

When I went through MEPS, I showed up to the hotel, in my own car, walked up to the military desk; told them my name; they looked around for a minute until the receptionist said, "Oh, you're our only officer candidate. Here is your own room, free parking pass, meal tickets, and the bar is just down the hallway." A quick call to my OSO's Ssgt to double check that it's alright for me to have a drink and I was living life. Chatting it up with some local talent and watching the Bears play. All while 6-9 18 year old kids who were shipping out to basic the next day were breathing down my neck as they walked off to their 10 pm curfews and shared rooms.

I would have had a local overnighter, but I didn't want to break the first rule they told me about no one in my room but me. Bummer!

The next day during MEPS, once I got cleared and this and that, the Marine Liaison said "here's your packet, now GTFO of my office and go see your OSO" Again, while 6-9 future Marines glared at me while they sat in the main waiting room.

Leadership (potential) has its perks I suppose.

It was cool, but it made me feel bad. I don't like getting preferential treatment, especially over dudes who are currently in USMC boot camp. It was a nice gesture, but sometimes standing out in a crowd is the last thing you want. Being the only Officer Candidate there made me feel unwanted by the other recruits.

At least I got to drink!

:lol: Nope. They put you up in a drafty hotel near the airport with multi-colored early '80s carpet and a room that still smells of its cigarette and ash tray heyday. Add the discomfort to the fact that other than new recruits there seems to be only two or three other guests in the entire hotel. It was quite the lonely experience to stay there. The only real social option was to go hang out in the shag carpeted military hangout room, which was the last place I wanted to spend time. So I went to the pool to cool off and then sit in the hot tub to contemplate what I was throwing myself into. It was nice, until the 1200lb family of four joined me. Back to my room to spend my last night at "home" watching Futurama on a 20" TV trying to fall asleep with the hours quickly ticking past until my 3am wakeup.

Welcome to the military. :rolleyes:

:lol: Nope. They put you up in a drafty hotel near the airport with multi-colored early '80s carpet and a room that still smells of its cigarette and ash tray heyday. Add the discomfort to the fact that other than new recruits there seems to be only two or three other guests in the entire hotel. It was quite the lonely experience to stay there. The only real social option was to go hang out in the shag carpeted military hangout room, which was the last place I wanted to spend time. So I went to the pool to cool off and then sit in the hot tub to contemplate what I was throwing myself into. It was nice, until the 1200lb family of four joined me. Back to my room to spend my last night at "home" watching Futurama on a 20" TV trying to fall asleep with the hours quickly ticking past until my 3am wakeup.

Welcome to the military. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know, I went to MEPS back in 2010. Definitely...interesting to say the least. I think we all opted to stay away from the pool because we wanted nothing to interrupt with our ears for the next day. Did you get your own room the night before you shipped out at least?

Yeah. I can't remember how many nights I spent in that hotel, but it was something around 5 or 6. The first night was the MEPS physical/ASVAB/AFAST. The next couple were the first ship out attempt which failed because of some paperwork screw up and I was delayed a week. The next weekend I think was another couple of nights there. I think I had a roommate for most of those although I do remember my last night being just me.