how many cfi's without jobs?

helicoptered

On 9/15/2012 at 10:37 AM, nightsta1ker said:

I have neither the time nor inclination to go back through miles of threads and find evidence to support my opinion. Glad you have time to support yours. I've made my ultimate point. You can disagree with how I made it all you want. Readers will decide who is right or relevant on the issue at hand. I never said I am always right either, and looking back at some of what I wrote, I could easily tear aspects of my own arguments to pieces. It happens. I'm going back to business as usual now. See you around the water cooler.

Son, we live in a world that has helicopters, and those helicopters have to be flown by men with experience. Who's gonna do it? You nightsta1ker? You, eagele5? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for helicoptered, and you curse the OG's. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That helicoptereds inability to make a decision, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at home, you want me in on this site; you need me on this site. We use words like experience, determination, persistence. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent achieving something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who dreams and covets under the blanket of the very advice that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way; Otherwise, I suggest you get a turbine job, and fly the line. Either way, I don't give a damn what your opinion is.

Rightbackatcha........

Edited by Spike
  • Like 3

Wow! we USED to try and stay somewhat on topic here on VR.....I would like to say a word or too about mentoring, as I am both a mentor to several pilots trying to get to where I am, and also being mentored to by pilots who want to see me get to where they are.

It's a great system, it works, and while neither is a "requirement" in life, it sure makes life, and flying, a lot more fun and productive.

For those not involved in mentoring from either side, I highly recommend you get off your ass and think about people other than yourself from time to time you might find it pays off now and then.

Pilots are not the same as the general population. Why do you think it requires study, training and persistence to succeed? We bear a huge responsibility not only to the people in our aircraft, but for those lives under it as well. Law enforcement requires a lot of the same diligence and an even larger responsibility to the public. Decisions put lives on the line, so the decision making process becomes quick and fairly black and white. You can read that between the lines in Spike's posts, but I would never doubt for a second his experience.

Back to the OP, he is obviously reaching out on the net because he lacks a mentor pilot that he can trust....and thats a shame on all of us.

Pilots are not the same as the general population. Why do you think it requires study, training and persistence to succeed?

Why are pilots not the same? Do you put on your pants both legs at the same time, or walk three inches above the sidewalk? Do you not pay taxes, require fluid intake, and breathe air? Perhaps you're an ordinary person, after all.

Why does flying require study and training? Because it's part of the job. It doesn't make you special

Flying is a technical occupation. Will you come to understand it by putting a book under your pillow and absorbing it by osmosis? No? Then study.

Pilots are a dime a dozen, and most not worth their weight in wet salt.

Back to the OP, he is obviously reaching out on the net because he lacks a mentor pilot that he can trust....and thats a shame on all of us.

No, that would be a shame on you if you feel oddly obligated. However, the original poster has an instructor to whom he pays money, and that's good enough. It was for the rest of us. If you think he needs a buddy or a friend, by all means light a candle, pull up a comfy chair, and go on a date. Otherwise, it won't kill him to take his instruction, read his book, and take a checkride like the rest of the industry does.

The original poster is trying to decide whether to get his instrument rating. That's his decision. It's his money. The hardest part of learning to fly is paying for it. It's getting employed and staying in the industry that's the tough part, and there's only one way he's going to figure that out: do it. If he's not sure if he wants to spend the money because he's not sure if he's going to get a job, then don't spend the money. Why take the chance? It's entirely up to him. If he's not committed and some half-wit who fancies himself a "mentor" tries to tell him to spend the money and that he will have a career, then that's really bad counsel, isn't it? Some mentor.

If instead the original poster has the drive to make a career, then he doesn't need a mentor to tell him so. If you want to be that mentor, however, and you're feeling touchy-feely enough to be that person, then knock yourself out. You really want to, don't you?

I know that when I post an advert for a cfi I get an immediate and large response. I know that I sort of grew up in Ocean City, Maryland and there was a guy that worked at a marina and twenty years ago he went to Concord, California and got his cfi. He wasn't hired and hasn't flown since. I had an office there at the airport within walking distance of that marina. The school you choose is very important. His school trained him to be a cfi. My school trains you to be a cfi for the same money but we also groom our students to meet our insurance and groom them to take pictures that we can sell to make money so we can pay them to fly for us. Every last cfi with us has gotten a job.

I know that when I post an advert for a cfi I get an immediate and large response. I know that I sort of grew up in Ocean City, Maryland and there was a guy that worked at a marina and twenty years ago he went to Concord, California and got his cfi. He wasn't hired and hasn't flown since. I had an office there at the airport within walking distance of that marina. The school you choose is very important. His school trained him to be a cfi. My school trains you to be a cfi for the same money but we also groom our students to meet our insurance and groom them to take pictures that we can sell to make money so we can pay them to fly for us. Every last cfi with us has gotten a job.

Reading on your website, it looks like you only hire someone for the same number of hours they have bought from you in the form of flight training, up to 300 hrs. If you hire me for 300 hrs, and I still only have 600hrs, to me that still leaves me in a tight spot since I don't have that 1000-1200 hrs to move on to a non instruction job.

Please clarify; you said, "His school trained him to be a cfi". Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what he paid for? Furthermore, I also trained to be a CFI in Concord California 20 years ago and I was hired? So what are you saying exactly? Additionally, please define the term: groom? Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but once one of your students obtains a CFI, they need to pay for an additional 100 hours to supposedly learn how to fly an R22 with floats. Is that correct?

While working in Concord, one kid showed up and paid for his training in cash. He later told me he got the cash by putting a "you can receive a United States Green Card for $5" ad in a Mexican newspaper. He said he'd simply mail a Green Card Application back to the respondent. He wasn't hired either......

Edited by Spike

Just how many CFIs ARE there without jobs?

A lot. There are a lot of us that don't instruct regularly who hold flight instructor certificates.

Are you referring to all of us (considering the majority of professionals have at one time or another instructed, and a great many of us still hold a CFI)?

Are you only referring to those who aren't qualified to get any other job, who aren't holding a job as an instructor?

What about those of us who are qualified and are holders of current instructor certification, but who are employed doing other things?

You're going to have to be more specific, then patient, as there's no way to determine what you ask.

This is what I might say:

You're right avbug, eagle5 should have been more specific. He should have asked: how many arrogant, narcissistic, dual rated, ex CFI, A and P certified, hangar talking, insufferable twits are there that have a long history of posting boring, self-serving, condescending, rambling and extraneous information filled internet forum posts, are there out there?

Edited by helonorth
  • Like 1

Ah, you are a professional, aren't you?

What you're not able to do, however, is address the thread with a meaningful contribution of any kind, it would seem. That really would make you a troll, wouldn't it? It would. It does. You are.

Do you have anything at all to contribute to the subject of flight instruction, mentorship, instructors without jobs, employment, or any similar subject, or is your only purpose here what it usually seems to be? We know the answer to that. You needn't reply.

You've nothing to contribute, then. Got it.

...ex CFI,...

That's current CFI, actually. Current CFI, CFII, MEI, AGI, IGI, etc. Just not actively teaching presently. Always current. Not ex.

How about you?

Ah, that's right. Nothing to contribute. Forget I asked. You probably will, anyway.

Edited by avbug

Oh, did you think I was talking about you? You are pretty self absorbed, so I can see how that might have happened.

Still unable to contribute to the thread, aren't you.

It's not so much that you won't. Just that you can't.

Sad, really.

Did I think you were addressing me when you entered the thread, calling me out by name? Yes, although you had nothing to contribute then, either.

Have you any input at all on the subject of employment for a new instructor? No? Your reason for being here is clear then, isn't it?

It is.

Not so fast.

Since it’s been used twice now, is it possible, or correct, to tell someone to "shut up" over the internet? Wikipedia states the shut-up phrase probably was shortened from "shut your mouth up". Therefore, it would be incorrect to say "shut-up" over the internet because no one is actually opening their mouths. i.e nothing to shut. Their typing. So, "stop typing on your keyboard" may be more accurate and could be shorted to "stop keyboarding!". Or, STFK!

BTW, shut-up or STFU replies to this post are predictable and expected.