Check this out about the SIFT

http://m.southeastsun.com/mobile/fortrucker/article_04c0a1b8-aa62-11e1-9305-001a4bcf6878.html

I guess the only info we may get is by other candidates who have taken the new test.

It sounds like they wont even release the 'sections' on the test, but maybe i misunderstood.....and that we are supposed to take the test "blind" so to speak but i think that the SIFT will have some sections similar to the Navy's ASTB, that part i think everyone already knows

I don't think they will really ever release a SIFT study guide like they did for the AFAST, although this could obviously change over time.

I personally disagree with the point of the SIFT to identify candidates with the God-given aptitude for flight, because I have known some good sticks with horrific decision-making skills, and others who maybe took a little while to catch on but ended up being great pilots.

• Like 1

I agree that an aptitude test shouldn't really have study material, however anyone that is motivated enough and smart enough can get a general idea of the concepts on the test to study enough to do well. I mean, I posted a link to an article in another thread that tells you exactly what sections are on the SIFT and generally how they will work.

You can study for everything but the cognitive tests, and even then you can practice similar types of things.

Maybe I'm wrong, just my .02

• Like 1

Don't you think it is naive to change the test based upon the fact there are study guides available? Some young enterprising person will see the market is lacking a study guide for a new test and develop a new one. I give it a year maybe 18 months and the new study guide will be ready for purchase.

• Like 1

WoftApp, I completely agree with you. But, I think that was only part of it. The test is severely outdated and they NEEDED a computerized based test. It seems that they did quite a bit of r&d in developing and testing it and since it's computerized it can be easily updated.

• 1 year later...

For everyone about to take the SIFT:

I just took the SIFT yesterday. You need to get a copy of the FAA Helicopter Handbook. You can view/download it for free here:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/media/faa-h-8083-21.pdf

Instead of reading the entire thing, study intently on the first 3 chapters. Most of the SIFT questions come from there. Make sure you understand how the chopper controls work (cyclic, collective, anti-torque pedals), basic aerodynamics, and terms like Autorotation, translating tendency, coning, dissymmetry of lift, etc. Also, learn about the Army helicopters and what they do: OH-58, CH-47, UH-60, and AH-64.

Beyond that, you need to brush up on as much math as you can. The math portion is adaptive so if you get a question right, you'll get a harder one next. Focus on algebra, probability, and geometry, but it threw me some calculus questions at the end. Take your time on the math.

Also, take your time on the paragraph comprehension and Aviation knowledge. Work very quickly on simple drawings and hidden figures. Hidden figures are a pain. I didn't make it very far through those. For everything else, you can't really study. Important: On the Aviation knowledge, Paragraph comprehension, and Spatial Apperception subtests, you can flag a particular question and come back to it later. The tutorial explains in detail how to do this. It helped me out a lot and I thought it gave plenty of time for those three sections. Spatial apperception is easy. I think they took the questions on that subtest from the AFOQT. If you spend some time playing Flight Simulator, you'll do great on that section. I went through the first couple groups of "Flying Lessons" on Flight Simulator 2004 and learned about how all of the instruments work. That was very helpful.

I studied hard on those first 3 chapters of the FAA handbook and brushed up on my math before the test and got a 65. They said that was a good score. I also got an AFQT of 98 and GT score of 137 on my ASVAB so that gives you something to compare to. I have a bachelor's degree and was always good at math, so I guess I had an advantage on that part. But, if you study hard, you can get a good score. One of the other guys taking it with me was a civilian flight instructor and he got a 59.

The average score is a 50, so if you get higher than that, I assume it will be considered a "competitive" score. I'm pretty sure it works by standard deviation, so if you get a 60, you're an entire deviation above average. Good luck future aviators!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just took the SIFT today...I felt like most of the questions were way over my head in the math section...haven't done a lot of that stuff since high school 12 years ago! I did pretty decent on the rest of the test though afaik, maybe hurting a little on mech comprehension, but that's a section that gets harder as you go so I'm not sure.

Thanks for the heads up regarding reading the FAA handbook...I only read Ch 1-3 but skimmed some of the rest. Needless to say, I should have read the whole thing!