Back from my break

It this is something you really want, go for it no matter what, but do it for the right reasons. If all you're looking for is free flight training you shouldn't bother because it probably isn't worth it with that mindset.

I went into BCT and WOCS with a positive attitude and looking forward to everything. A lot of it sucks. Going to the deep south from the northwest in the summer didn't help, but... well how some of the kids in basic make it out is beyond me. You really have to try to fail and even then they'll probably still push you through.

Candidate school is so much better because of the people. There is still a lot of games and BS to get through, but is a much better experience. My class started with 56, lost 9 due to PT, academics and land nav. We also gained three recycles from the previous class.

Show up in shape, keep your eyes and ears open, try and stay positive, do as you're told and you'll be fine. WOCS is about four things: leadership, time management, teamwork, and attention to detail. Do that and again, you'll be fine.

Was funny to listen to the five week classes complain about the treatment when we were there two weeks longer, but with them you get a lot of senior NCOs who are used to running the show instead of being treated like a private. They usually have a hard time working as a team and all want to take charge when we had an easier time coming together.

Don't expect to be told much and expect to find out what little info there is last minute. Street to seat single people - you're getting screwed when it's time to move your stuff. Because you PCS from BCT they consider you moved and will not give you travel time, a per diem, or anything. They will give you 10 days PTDY for house hunting locally, but you're not allowed to leave the area to get your stuff. And when you're done with WOCS you're out on your own for lodging till you find a place. Your other option is to take personal leave to go get your stuff, but it is on your own dime. But... Though the Army won't pay you to move your stuff, they will move it for you at their expense.

For married ... They won't pay for you, but will pay for your dependents and also moving expenses by weight, or move it for you.

As for SLRP, I had it in my contact but didn't ship before they suspended it do I didn't get it.

Have fun at Reception lol

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight, please continue to post about your progress Im sure everyone here would love the information.

I'd like to chime in and give some insight into Army life itself for those about to join, whether enlisted or WOFT. Army schools are designed to be stressful and make you think "this is stupid". Every school has these core characteristics. Hell almost all training in the Army is like this. Some of the stuff you do really is stupid, but some of it is designed to look stupid to strengthen your character. You'll learn this as you advance in your military career.

Know when to be invisible and know when to stand out.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of WOFT in its entirety. I feel this is the next level of my Army career and one that suits me personally. But man I'm going to miss my guys... a lot.

My core philosophy is as follows: No matter what they can't kill you, many others have done this before you, and it will all end one day.

Maybe this is why I'm one of those super crazy people actually looking forward to SERE training. Everyone says it is the best training in the military that they never ever want to have to do again. I'm sure Ill be changing my mind very quickly though once I get there.

• Like 2

Tony, Thanks for the advice!

Are you saying I can move my family down to Rucker in-between BCT and WOCS? Personally, I don't think I will do it that way for timing reasons, but it’s nice to know it’s an option. If selected in Nov and have a ship date in Jan, I plan on having my wife and kids stay here to finish out the school year and then come down in June. By then I should have everything setup fairly well. I think that would help ease their transition.

Nope, didn't mean that. Between BCT and WOCS you're pretty limited with what you can do and where you may go. After WOCS you can move your family but you won't get a per diem, but they will. You'll also get paid to move your stuff, or have the Army, since you have dependents. If you have none you won't get paid anything to get or move your HHG.

For in service, you'll be able to move and get paid for it all before WOCS starts.

Street to seat single people - you're getting screwed when it's time to move your stuff. Because you PCS from BCT they consider you moved and will not give you travel time, a per diem, or anything. They will give you 10 days PTDY for house hunting locally, but you're not allowed to leave the area to get your stuff. And when you're done with WOCS you're out on your own for lodging till you find a place. Your other option is to take personal leave to go get your stuff, but it is on your own dime. But... Though the Army won't pay you to move your stuff, they will move it for you at their expense.

Is this a recent change? It seems to be completely in opposition to what I've heard before (or thought I've heard). I was looking forward to doing the no-expense cross-country drive from Seattle to Rucker...

So was I lol. Don't know if it's different, but the classes ahead of me had it that way as well. Heard all about it and had a hard time believing the Army wouldn't pay for street to seat (single) to move their stuff out, but come our turn found it to be true. So if you want to fly home and drive your vehicle out, it's all on your wallet, then have the Army move your stuff at their expense.

Did you get selected or talking about when you are?

So was I lol. Don't know if it's different, but the classes ahead of me had it that way as well. Heard all about it and had a hard time believing the Army wouldn't pay for street to seat (single) to move their stuff out, but come our turn found it to be true. So if you want to fly home and drive your vehicle out, it's all on your wallet, then have the Army move your stuff at their expense.

Did you get selected or talking about when you are?

Damn, that sucks! So what did you do?

Talking about when I get selected. Always wanted to do a cross country drive and that was the perfect excuse. Ah well!

I was a 271 coming out of basic with a high 13 2-mile. The runs were easy. You'll do some 4 milers, but around a 9:30 pace which is way too easy. The harder ones are around 3 miles with sprints several times along the way. Overall, pt is nothing to worry about. We had two women fall out of, almost, every run and they made it through.

Entry PT at basic, with strict standards, was 229 and finished 271. If you're anywhere near there you won't have any issues at WOCS

Three rucks with only one that counts. Start at 3 miles, then 4, then 6 in 93 minutes or less for a pass/fail. Land nav is what gets people and if you listen to the instruction, it is super easy. It isn't typical land nav but terrain association.

Four PT failures-somehow, two land nav (second attempt) failures, three gone due to academics.

Our class had 7 first time land nav failures with two on the second attempt. Class after us had 25/2. Class before us around 12/2. Class before them around 23/7. Pay attention to the instruction and literally dumb it down and don't over think it.

• Like 1

Street to seat single people - you're getting screwed when it's time to move your stuff. Because you PCS from BCT they consider you moved and will not give you travel time, a per diem, or anything. They will give you 10 days PTDY for house hunting locally, but you're not allowed to leave the area to get your stuff. And when you're done with WOCS you're out on your own for lodging till you find a place. Your other option is to take personal leave to go get your stuff, but it is on your own dime. But... Though the Army won't pay you to move your stuff, they will move it for you at their expense.

Trying to figure out the best plan for moving. Maybe some who have gone through this recently can advise me. I'm single with no dependents. And I have a motorcycle that I'd like to get to Rucker somehow. A couple of ideas:

A. Vacate my apartment before BCT and move all my stuff (including a motorcycle) into a storage unit here in Portland. But then how will I get it back? Will the Army move it all to Rucker for me? I assume someone will have to be there to let the movers into the storage unit?

B. Pack up all my stuff now and move it, on my own dime, to my parents' house in Colorado. Then let the Army move it to Rucker for me later?

I'd leave it there, where you ship from cause the Army will move a bike for you. But if you have your stuff shipped from someplace other than where you ship from you could possibly be charged for some of the costs. What I was told