Woman in the industry

Well let me put it this way, it's not just male chauvinism, pretty women are good for business too. They bring in customers. And if she also happens to be able fly and make good decisions, why not? Use everything you've got in this world to get ahead.

Edited by nightsta1ker
  • Like 1

They say women are better at multi-tasking, maybe they make better pilots, I don't know. I do know that in my limited exposure, I have not seen any fat ugly female helicopter pilots. I agree a pretty face can be good for business. :wub:

So....I'm gonna catch a lot of flack for this one, so bring it on.... I just talked with a young lady who never got her CFI. She was hired right after commercial flying a 206, then a little in a 407, and now she's flying a modified UH-1F. So what gives?

It's not about sexism. It's about right time, right place.

I have a good friend who was a student when I was an instructor, he decided to not instruct right off the bat, and instead followed an alternate route. Worked agriculture, got some long line training, and now has more hours than I do and a great job.

Some people get lucky. Jealousy has the tendency to make people want to find something negative about lucky and/or successful people sometimes.

It's not about sexism. It's about right time, right place.

I have a good friend who was a student when I was an instructor, he decided to not instruct right off the bat, and instead followed an alternate route. Worked agriculture, got some long line training, and now has more hours than I do and a great job.

Some people get lucky. Jealousy has the tendency to make people want to find something negative about lucky and/or successful people sometimes.

Yes, right time right place has its part but, you know that looks, personality, and ability all come into play. Do you think that Hooters will hire a girl because she can carry 5 serving trays, but she also weighs 250 lbs? I am not trying to down play any female pilots ability or worth, they all did the same training everybody else did. Get this though... women are very good talkers, have you heard of networking? Women are great at that, and guess what, men are more than willing to chat with a pretty lady, and they remember them better than some dude that said "hi" too.

So....I'm gonna catch a lot of flack for this one, so bring it on.... I just talked with a young lady who never got her CFI. She was hired right after commercial flying a 206, then a little in a 407, and now she's flying a modified UH-1F. So what gives?

Are we talking about a newbie commercial pilot with just 150hrs!? Was she hired here (in the States)? What type of flying was she doing in that 206?

...is she seeing anyone? :)

• Like 1

Wow. I would start to feel like I was doing something seriously wrong if I didn't know other women like myself with lots of hours, perfectly presentable, networking, doing everything right and still having trouble moving on to the next step. I will agree that being a woman makes you stand out more, and probably makes guys more willing to talk to you. But my general impression is that sometimes (and with some companies) being a woman will help, and sometimes it will hurt. Maybe I will get flack for this but I think that while some companies love hiring women, others will not hire or will make your life miserable if you work there.

Edited by Hovergirl

Are we talking about a newbie commercial pilot with just 150hrs!? Was she hired here (in the States)? What type of flying was she doing in that 206?

...is she seeing anyone? :)

Haha, don't know. Yeah, she was hired right after commercial. No instrument, no CFI. Pretty amazing, and she's flying a UH-1F right now. She actually learned how to long line in the UH-1.

I'm female and I would kill to fly a UH-1. No one hired me right after my commercial, either. Got my CFI, and now I'm instructing. Maybe she uses more makeup, or, more likely, maybe she is a damn good pilot with great networking skills. I wouldn't give much thought to it.

On a side note..... I got hired with 350 hrs TT helicopter by an operator with a UH1 and 2

Jet Rangers. I know a couple operators who have taken a chance on a new pilot thinking they would end up being career employees. So far, theyve all bailed after they got the time they needed for the job they had in the works. I know an operator doing this right now with a new pilot whom I KNOW has plans to bail out at the first opportunity. Providing training and turbine time and this pilot is flat out using him. Oh well......

On a side note..... I got hired with 350 hrs TT helicopter by an operator with a UH1 and 2

Jet Rangers. I know a couple operators who have taken a chance on a new pilot thinking they would end up being career employees. So far, theyve all bailed after they got the time they needed for the job they had in the works. I know an operator doing this right now with a new pilot whom I KNOW has plans to bail out at the first opportunity. Providing training and turbine time and this pilot is flat out using him. Oh well......

I have no grandiose career plans, or specific companies I want to work for. After this guy bails, have this operator send me a PM, I'd be more than happy to become a "career employee" for someone willing to give me a shot!

• Like 1

That is too bad, and people wonder why there are so few opportunities like this.

• Like 1

I've lost jobs to women with far fewer qualifications. I'm sure most of us in the industry have seen it happen. However, I've also seen women be turned down from employment because they're women.

I've met some excellent female pilots, and I've met some real fruitcakes, too. The same can be said for men. We notice it in the women more because there are fewer of them and they stand out. Women tend to get noticed, particularly by the men.

I've seen women hired in order to show equality in hiring, and the same for ethnicity, as well as veteran status, and I've seen it happen often. Such is life. Don't get tied in knots over what other people got for job offers. Only worry about your own job.

There's no reason that someone needs a CFI to progress. There are a lot of pilots who wouldn't make good instructors, and ought not become one just to "build hours."

• Like 2

There's no reason that someone needs a CFI to progress. There are a lot of pilots who wouldn't make good instructors, and ought not become one just to "build hours."

Absolutely agree. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to instruct but I'm sure after 456,000 training flights saying, "right pedal......throttle.....left pedal.....throttle, I'll be ready to move on. I just wish helicopter pilots had the opportunities to build hrs without being a CFI. Like you said, not everyone is cut out and or wants to instruct.

It's a "them and they" thing: civvie/military, man/woman; black/brown/red/yellow/white; christian/muslim/jew/buddhist/hindu/agnostic; gay/straight, etc,. etc., Easy to think what is obvious and distinctive to you is what makes the difference, that's the way homo sapiens is built. Those things do sometimes prove advantageous, I'm not stupid. But I also know it's really hard to recognize your own weaknesses and failures and easy to blame something else- like a great pair of... legs.

• Like 1