Instructing building ADM and Risk Assessment

Wow avbug, you really took a lot of time to put that out, I appreciate it!

For some reason, "...what info gets your resume discarded quickly", sounded almost like a trick question to me, i.e. non common-sense stuff. However, it seems the only one I didn't already know, was to address the resume to the specific employer (I assumed that was what the cover letter was for?).

Anyway,...I can't believe I'm saying this but, thanks avbug.

The cover letter is your "hook." It's your request for an interview. It's your chance to say in a few sentences why you ought to get an interview.

The resume is a quick look at your overall qualifications. It's going to get about five seconds of play time before it gets set aside. Make sure the prospective employer sees the most relevant things and doesn't have to hunt for it, because he will set it aside and look at a resume that's easy to scan.

Your cover letter and resume should be hand-in-hand. They're a set. Certainly the cover letter ought to be addressed to the company; it should also be addressed to the specific person doing the hiring, if possible (research). Your resume ought to reflect the same: it shows that you want to work for this specific company. It shows interest.

If you're responding to a government vacancy announcement, putting the reference number for the announcement is a good thing, in the Professional Objective line.

One should also note the phraseology and wording of the job to which you're responding. If the job is looking for a "Pilot, Rotor-Wing," then your professional objective should be "Long Term Employment as Rotor-Wing Pilot for ABC Company, Ltd." If instead the job is for an Aviator, you should have a line on the resume stating your objective as "Long Term Employment as Aviator for ABC Holdings Pty Ltd." And so on.

If I'm giving a resume to a utility employer, I will list my utility experience. If I'm looking for a Part 135 or corporate job, I'll list experience that's applicable to that job. The resume changes depending on the person or company to whom it's being given.

I don't list all my employment experience. If it's not immediately relevant or fairly recent, I leave it off. My employment history is ten pages long, or so. I keep that as a file that stays updated, and it's available if I need to fill out a job application or security paperwork...but otherwise most of it doesn't need to be brought up except for a background check, unless it's relevant to the job to which I'm applying.

You should also be aware that some experience is viewed negatively by some employers, and you should be sensitive to that. My earliest flying was ag work, and I was happier than a pig in a mud bath. However, I soon learned that many employers think ag pilots are cowboys, and didn't take the time to find out otherwise. Likewise, one of my hobbies was skydiving. Many employers see that as a sign of a dangerous pilot, or a dangerous attitude (it's not). Accordingly, unless one is applying to a drop zone or an operation involving parachuting, leave that off. I flew internationally in large airplanes. I'm not an airline pilot, although I've done airline flying (there is a difference). Many employers see airline experience negatively. Some see it positively. Emphasize what's important to the employer to whom you're applying, and customize your resume accordingly.

Everyone likes to hear their name. Companies too. Putting their name on the resume, and using it at least twice in the cover letter is good practice.

• Like 1

Nice job avbug. I can see you put some real thought and time into your recent posts over the last few days. I'm sure the up and comers here recognize and appreciate your contributions.

First, flying gracefully matters. It has nothing to do with hours. Some pilots have the gift and some don't. During hard times, flying gracefully will get you past the first pre-hire ride with the Assistant Chief Pilot.

Sometimes you fly with someone and the whole world changes when they touch the controls; mostly when they put their feet on the pedals. Model your flying after that person. Keep it in trim, dudes and dudettes.

Instruction teaches the instructor three great skills: 1) how to get along with the customer; 2) how to get along with the boss; and, 3) how to make money with a helicopter.

When you get out into the "real" world, you no longer have a boss watching over your shoulder and providing the necessary social, political and maintenance structure. The level of pilot responsibility goes way up in a hurry. You'll find that out when you start flying in Uganda, China, the Philippines, etc.

Structured to unstructured. Working with other line pilots, lead pilots, mechanics, local joes, MEL extensions, questionable fuel, strange food, insects, genocidal civil wars...

If you want structure, fly offshore. Doesn't matter where.

Personally, I like flight instruction. If it paid well, I would have done it my whole career.

And yes, keep it in trim, all the time, and people will describe you as a graceful pilot. It'll get you a job.