Anyone Practice at Home?

Back in high school I had a yoke and rudder pedals to practice on FS2002 (while training fixed wing). Not sure if it helped or not, but maybe some of you have a cool set up that you can perfect some maneuvers at home. Nothing compares to being in the cockpit, but perhaps it'll help just a little while killing time on a Sunday afternoon.

I watched a video of someone who had a joystick and the "throttle" acting as a collective mounted to the side of a chair. Pretty clever. Lets hear what you got.

• Like 1

When the track and balance is out of whack in our 500E, I log Huey time. :D

However, to answer your question. Ive never really gotten into the livingroom flying. However, I did see a seat once that was basically PVC. The collective was bolted to the seat and it had an actual cyclic to practice auto entry. Aft cyclic, Collective down right pedal.

• Like 2

Back in high school I had a yoke and rudder pedals to practice on FS2002 (while training fixed wing). Not sure if it helped or not, but maybe some of you have a cool set up that you can perfect some maneuvers at home. Nothing compares to being in the cockpit, but perhaps it'll help just a little while killing time on a Sunday afternoon.

I watched a video of someone who had a joystick and the "throttle" acting as a collective mounted to the side of a chair. Pretty clever. Lets hear what you got.

It’s called “chair flying.” It’s where you envision the maneuver in your head while sitting in a chair with a set controls, imaginary or not, and fly. The Japanese conglomerate Kawasaki Heavy Industries (KHI) utilized chair flying as an established practice for homework assignments with their students.

• Like 1

It’s called “chair flying.” It’s where you envision the maneuver in your head while sitting in a chair with a set controls, imaginary or not, and fly. The Japanese conglomerate Kawasaki Heavy Industries (KHI) utilized chair flying as an established practice for homework assignments with their students.

Is it effective?

I think chair flying is effective. I've done it constantly in Army flight school, and a lot of IPs talk about doing it. Even without the nice videos that the 64 makes, it is very useful.

You're just mentally walking through every procedure step by step so you can stay ahead of the aircraft the next day. For me it has paid dividends on time. Course, sometimes you don't know what you don't know. :P

Chair flying is only as effective as you want it to be. If you half-ass it, you'll get half-ass results.

It's a great tool to mentally prepare yourself for the flight and everything associated with it. It can be as simple as practicing maneuvers, to emergency procedures, or comms with controlling agencies.

The Blue Angels "chair fly" the entire routine as a group, down to the second before going up. I figure it has validity if you truly apply yourself and try to be as precise as you can. personally, my only experience was doing ground runs and emergency procedures for the F-15 in my bath tub, I think it helped. I admit I did feel a little silly when I opened my eyes and came to the reality that I was naked in my tub doing about the same thing I did when I was four years old. (pretending to fly that is) :ph34r:

Edited by gary-mike

I absolutely love flying my x plane 9, now 10! I definitely felt it kept me mentally in the game when I had some longer breaks during my initial heli training, say of a couple months or more...

Now a little further along in hours, but never quite went for instrument yet, I like to set it to some dense fog, or dark as can be night, and fly the instruments only and track back to an airport away from my home town and back..

I do feel it also kept my cyclic pretty precise, and getting back into the heli, the instructor was surprised to find I was still accurate with the controls, radios and procedures.. Like I never stopped for the couple months!

These days (or nights) about all the practice I get at home is in my dreams (or nightmares). I have two recurring dreams, which happen now and then. One is flying very low, with wires everywhere, and trying to dodge them, and the other is starting up and having severe overtemps I can't control. I've never overtemped an engine, and never hit a wire, but obviously both are things I think about a lot. I used to go through something like armchair flying before checkrides, going through a flight and imagining making instrument approaches, etc, and I think it helped, but I no longer bother. If I can't pass a checkride now, then I shouldn't be flying. I have never busted a checkride of any kind in 40+ years of flying, and the day I do will probably be the day I give it up.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll start looking into some of your ideas and see how they'll work out. Chair flying seems like a great idea too. Meditation is apparently very good for the mind and body, so combine that with helicopter flying and I think its a winning combination. :lol:

If anyone is just browsing around on these forums I'll put out there that VATSIM combined with the flight simulator series (not sure about xplane) is an excellent tool for relieving communication nerves. It takes time to set up, but you communicate with live controllers in conjunction with your game play. Most people fly airlines out of major airports so you can practice being with the big boys.

I used FSX with the dodosim 206 add on.

bought the plans and built that. It worked pretty good but flying in the sim on FSX was quite a bit different compared to real flying. The dodsim 206 add on made it feel a bit more realistic and allowed you to perform autoroations.

Your thread got me curious...so I did a quick search on ebay and this looks AWESOME! lol

http://www.ebay.com/...24f7797&vxp=mtr

You'd think they'd throw in the shipping for for $1400! Looks really nice though.

I used FSX with the dodosim 206 add on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDgSfjCGUiU

bought the plans and built that. It worked pretty good but flying in the sim on FSX was quite a bit different compared to real flying. The dodsim 206 add on made it feel a bit more realistic and allowed you to perform autoroations.

That's actually the video I stumbled on. How complicated was it to put together?

You'd think they'd throw in the shipping for for $1400! Looks really nice though.

That's actually the video I stumbled on. How complicated was it to put together?

extremely easy to assemble if you buy the set of directions from the guy, If I recall correctly about 2 hours for everything

• Like 1