Intro, hows it going gents

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks, I've been lurking this specific sub forum for some time now and the information here has been invaluable.

I am an Active Duty NCO in the U.S. Army and currently looking to go the WOCS and IERW route. My afast is scheduled for 20NOV(Once I found out the expiration date was pushed to the right I jumped on it) and after that I will take my Class 1 phys. and then its just a CW3 or above's LOR I'm waiting on. Got everything at the unit level currently. Hopefully It won't take too long to get because I really don't want to be pushed into taking the SIFT. I have been studying the ARCO AFAST Guide, as well as the FM for Fundamentals of Flight and Flight Instruments.

But again guys I thank you for all the info and I hope top gain even more.

The Fundamentals of Flight FM will help a lot --it's a great resource.

This site is a massive resource -- read around and most everything you are wondering about can be found.

That said, good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.

The only other material I'd suggest for the AFAST would be the FAA Helicopter Flying Handbook. You can buy a hard copy online, or it is available free here:

http://www.faa.gov/l...-h-8083-21A.pdf

When I took the AFAST a couple years ago, many of the questions were worded exactly the same as the FAA Private Pilot Written exam, which draws heavily from the Helicopter Flying Handbook. Heck, if you want, the Private Pilot Written exam study guide is here:

http://www.amazon.co...ot written 2013

If you choose to get that, you'll want to look at the questions with the designations "ALL" and "RTC."

For that matter, I suspect questions in the Helicopter Knowledge section of the SIFT will also draw heavily from FAA materials. You can't really be overprepared.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah from what I'm seeing the section on the AFAST that is getting me is the complex movements. I get pretty flustered trying to keep my time for each question on par with the time alloted. Cyclic orientation is great and same with helicopter knowledge(for the most part). Part of me is curious if I should take the SIFT just to see if a even a mid range score on that test is more beneficial than a higher AFAST score, BUT i don't know what sub tests are on the SIFT and I don't want to go in half cocked.

If you end up talking the AFAST, the advice i would give for the complex movements is to practice so much that you no longer have to think about which direction the arrows are for the right answer, you just see it and know. that is what worked for me anyway and i found that when i went to actually take it i had time left.

^+1 for cyclic orientation. Also, dont neglect the other sections like spatial orientation, mechanical comprehension, and helicopter knowledge. The AFAST isnt that bad.Just work as fast as possible and don't second guess your first instinct. I got a 144, hardest part was finishing each section before time ran out. Also, for the personality part, don't try to outsmart it, I did and it back fired. LOL.

Good luck Sergeant.