Helicopter shot down in Syria video

Whiteshadow

Aviation rules are written in blood and we learn from those who came before so we don't have to shed the same blood. We talk about accidents all the time in order to help the community out. No need to be super dramatic about it. You might as well start complaining to the NTSB for hosting that pesky website where you can search through accidents to your heart's content.

• Like 2

Nope, never been to the safety course and I've never seen anything bad happen on the Internet. There's no difference between an Internet forum and a Safety Course as well, glad we got this out in the open.

I could care less about the video, you can watch a video of a guy's head being cut off with a chainsaw if you want, lesson learned, don't owe the cartels any money. It was the reaction to a guy saying it doesn't have a place on the forums that ruffled my feathers.

Maybe it's because I had that, I'm going to die moment and now there are a lot of times I commit to decisions flying that mean life or death on a daily basis. I've measured a power line to see if I could go under it, I had 3 feet to spare with my skids in the cotton.

I guess I'm alone in my delusions.

Everyone who has posted supporting this video as training value is probably right, hopefully we can get a video of you dying in the cockpit and show it to the world. Think about your loved ones getting to watch you die while some people argue about it.

Not really sure what you're trying to say, whether it's pointless sarcasm, or too sheltered a life and your feathers have been ruffled. Which is it?

Some friends of mind died a few years ago when the wings came off the airplane they were flying. It's regularly viewed on the internet...you've probably seen it yourself. I've seen it more than once.

Life's tough. That doesn't mean you should look away. Grow up. Welcome to reality.

Not really sure what you're trying to say, whether it's pointless sarcasm, or too sheltered a life and your feathers have been ruffled.

I could care less about the video, you can watch a video of a guy's head being cut off with a chainsaw if you want, lesson learned, don't owe the cartels any money. It was the reaction to a guy saying it doesn't have a place on the forums that ruffled

Maybe reading comprehension is the reason our pilot pool is lacking, or is there no safety seminar for reading?

No one respects other people's opinions because they think they're right. No fence, post the video and do what you want but if one guy thinks is inappropriate, the forums then have an Internet battle, I'm guilty of it myself and I've felt retarded this whole time.

Food for thought then I'm going to bury this pointless debate, would you post a video of ADridge, or am I the only one that remembers we lost a member of these forums?

Maybe reading comprehension is the reason our pilot pool is lacking, or is there no safety seminar for reading?

No one respects other people's opinions because they think they're right. No fence, post the video and do what you want but if one guy thinks is inappropriate, the forums then have an Internet battle, I'm guilty of it myself and I've felt retarded this whole time.

Food for thought then I'm going to bury this pointless debate, would you post a video of ADridge, or am I the only one that remembers we lost a member of these forums?

Andrew was my friend and a pupil of mine. I will be addressing his demise at Heli Success to help the rest of us survive.

Safe flying & best wishes to all the brotherhood. (oops, sisterhood too)

Mike

There are videos of my friends dying, pastered all over the internet. I've watched them myself.

I've got a lot of dead friends and associates.

That's life in aviation. Welcome to reality. Is this new to you?

Appears to be an Mi-8/17 hip or some variant. With the location being Syria and from what appears to be a fairly high altitude the aircraft spiraled down from, I would go to say it was likely a surface-to-air missile that took it down. Small arms wouldn't do enough damage from that far away. Maybe a heavy weapon system of some type (.50cal or anti-aircraft gun of 20-30mm), but that'd be a hell of an attempt at leading a helicopter with bullets or anti-aircraft rounds.

The massive sudden explosion most likely indicates the fuel tank system ruptured.

I was a crewchief on one of these in the Marine Corps. This one was shot down by a shoulder fired surface to air rocket while I was deployed in '07. The pilots did a hell of a job keeping it under control up to the flare, where it disintegrated. RIP to the crews of both choppers.

http://www.liveleak....ew?i=1ec7d3ccc6

HMM-? I was out there same time as this particular incident.

HMM-? I was out there same time as this particular incident.

I was with HMM-264 on the USS Bataan when it happened (I was on a separate deployment at the time). Many of my fellow Marines knew the crew very well. I went through aircrew training with a couple of them, but wasn't real close. It was a sad and awakening day, indeed.

What did you do over there? Where were you based out of? I was in Al Asad in '05.