What Are My Chances? Check Out the Stats of Selected Members HERE.

Since you are a former officer maybe you can shed some light on my question. If an aviation warrant goes to OCS, does he automatically branch aviation or is it a crap-shoot, just like every other candidate?

It is the only way to "guarantee" that you will branch aviation out of OCS. I use quotes, because nothing is ever guaranteed, but this is probably the closest to a sure thing I have ever seen in the Army.

• Like 1

GT/AFQT: 125/85

SIFT: 66

APFT: 244

Education: Associate of Arts Degree w/ 3.4 GPA

Flight Physical: Completed and Approved

Waiver: ACL Reconstruction in 2009, Abnormal EKG

LOR's: Former Employer (Private Business Owner), Former Supervisor (Govt Employee), Previous College Professor (Retired Police Officer, and State Representative), Retired Army LTC (Family Friend), AD Army CW4.

Board: 75/75

Aviation: PPL in Rotor-craft. 55 total flight hours.

Other Info: Current Retail Manager for Oakley Inc., Assistant Manager/ Buyer for private retail company for 4 years, spent time Volunteering for Town of Breckenridge for multiple events.

Selected January 2015

• Like 1

GT/AFQT: 127/99

SIFT: 73

APFT: 272

Civilian Education: Associate of Arts Degree w/ 3.6 GPA, Dean's List

Bachelors of Arts, Economics, Senior Year, 3.2 GPA

Military Education: WLC, ALC (honors), Sniper School (honors), Air Assault, EIB, CMB

Military Experience: SSG (E-6), rated Team, Squad and Platoon Sargent time. All good NCOERs.

Waiver: PRK (not sure if that counts, as it's part of the physical)

LOR's: CW4 at DES and personal friend, CO, BC, BDE Commander, Commanding General (1 Star)

Aviation: PPL, Instrument, CPL in progress 150+ hours fixed wing.

Other Info: NCO of the Year. Solider of the Month, etc.

Selected: January 2015 (1st Look)

GT/AFQT: 125/85

SIFT: 66

APFT: 244

Education: Associate of Arts Degree w/ 3.4 GPA

Waiver: ACL Reconstruction in 2009, Abnormal EKG

LOR's: Former Employer (Private Business Owner), Former Supervisor (Govt Employee), Previous College Professor (Retired Police Officer, and State Representative), Retired Army LTC (Family Friend), AD Army CW4.

Aviation: PPL in Rotor-craft. 55 total flight hours.

Other Info: Current Retail Manager for Oakley Inc., Assistant Manager/ Buyer for private retail company for 4 years, spent time Volunteering for Town of Breckenridge for multiple events.

Selected January 2015

Jones,

I'm in AZ also. Did you do the majority of your packet with a recruiter? If so, I would like to know who helped you on your packet because I am having trouble finding someone who isn't trying to get me to go enlisted first.

• 3 months later...

Here are my stats:

ASVAB / GT: 93 / 131

SIFT: 61

APFT: 300

Education: Bachelors in Business 3.5

Flight / military exp: None

Waivers: None (except PRK)

Day I started the Application: 7/1/2013

LORs: CW5, my congressman, County judge that I interned for, ANG Cpt., Navy 1LT

Congrats everyone! This took 2 years of my life. I'm shaking right now. Selected on my first board, but after countless delays I feel like it's my tenth.

Selected May 2015

Update/Edit: BCT ship is 27 JUL, 15 OCT WOCS date

• Like 2

Civilian applicant. Started process July 2014.

ASVAB AFQT/GT: 98/138

SIFT: 71

APFT: 257

EDUCATION: B.S. in Fine Art from the University of Oregon

FLIGHT: None

CLASS 1 PHYSICAL: Completed

BOARD: 75/75 - received a recommendation from the battalion commander

LORS:

-Retired Navy Captain (O-6) Aviator who rose to command a ship, with 30 years in uniform, wrote me a very detailed 2 page LOR. Couldn't be a better letter from a great man.

-Vice President of Columbia Helicopters who was a former Army CW2 pilot in Vietnam.

-Former supervisor who is currently a Police Officer.

WAIVERS: None

Selected May 2015 (June 1st BCT ship date, August 19 WOCS date)

Civilian Applicant. Started September 2014

GT: 130/95

SIFT: 67

APFT: 298

Civilian ed: B.S. Physics

Flight physical: approved

Flight experience: 10 hours fixed wing

Board: didn't find out the score

LORs: Lt. Col. USMC, Capt. USA, Maj. sf USA (ret), former boss

Military experience: none

Waivers: none

Selected May 2015 (July 27 BCT ship date, October 15 WOCS date)

Selected May 2015-civilian

GT: 132/94

SIFT: 59

APFT: 272

Education: BS Business Management and Accounting

2.88 GPA (sorry for bringing down the average everyone) graduated in only 7 semesters though with double major

Flight physical: Approved

Flight experience: None

Board: 73/75 (one didn't like my grades)

LORs: Full bird Colonel ex-ranger, CSM (Ret.) ex-ranger, CW-3 SOAR pilot that I met by wandering around Fort Lewis, collegiate football coach, my state senator

Started the process in January 2015 (thinking about it for a few years and kept getting turned away)

I just wanted to post to show you don't need the top of the line scores or anything, just a drive to work your tail off. Don't mean to come off as cocky just want to tell my story a bit. I was turned away by multiple recruiters because of grades, so aspiring selectees don't let people get to you. Just use it as fire and work your tail off for it! I realized this is what I was going to do so I put my mind to it and did it. My original plan was to drive to Kentucky (I'm from Montana) and try and find a SOAR pilot there but my father said that the pilots at Fort Lewis work with the Rangers and 1st SF group so I headed out there, called about every number I could find and just tried finding any warrant I could. Finally got an audience and one was nice enough to oblige my requests. Excited to meet all the other selected folk on here and get working on this dream.

• Like 2

Long time lurker who gained tons of information from this site...

GT: 127/90
SIFT: 54
AFPT: 298
Education: AS, Electronic Systems Technology 3.69
BS, Criminal Justice 3.69
Military Education: Airman Leadership School DG
Military Exp: 4.5 years Active Duty Air Force RF Transmissions (Comm), E-5

LORs: CW4 UH-60 IP, Col Group Commander, Lt Col Squadron Commander, Maj AC-130 Pilot
Waivers: Approved medical waiver

Selected May 2015

Selected May 2015

APFT: 300

SIFT: 59

ASVAB/GT: 93/125

Education: 100 credit hours (6 semesters) completed towards BS in political science, 3.14 GPA

Military experience: E5 US Army cavalry scout, 2 deployments, 7 years TIS

Flight experience: 25 hours in Pipers roughly 10 years ago, no license

Board: Never found out points, president of board said I was the best qualified candidate he'd seen, and that I had a "full recommendation" whatever that means.

I'm a bit of an odd-ball. I did 5 years of service with the Regular Army, and 2 in the Guard while at college. I applied through the WOFT program for an active duty slot and was accepted in May. If anyone else is going through this rather unique route, then hit me up for questions - I'd be happy to help.

• Like 1

Civilian applicant. Started process July 2014.

ASVAB AFQT/GT: 98/138

SIFT: 71

APFT: 257

EDUCATION: B.S. in Fine Art from the University of Oregon

FLIGHT: None

CLASS 1 PHYSICAL: Completed

BOARD: 75/75 - received a recommendation from the battalion commander

LORS:

-Retired Navy Captain (O-6) Aviator who rose to command a ship, with 30 years in uniform, wrote me a very detailed 2 page LOR. Couldn't be a better letter from a great man.

-Vice President of Columbia Helicopters who was a former Army CW2 pilot in Vietnam.

-Former supervisor who is currently a Police Officer.

WAIVERS: None

Selected May 2015 (June 1st BCT ship date, August 19 WOCS date)

I guess that answers the age of questions of "what are you going to do with an art degree"!

ASVAB AFQT/GT: 90/123

SIFT: 56

APFT: 278

EDUCATION: BS Social Studies Ed 3.0

FLIGHT: 0 hours

BOARD: pending

LORS: State Representative

College advisor and head of my program

Superintendent of School Corp

Lt.Col Air Force former A-10 pilot

CW4 CID

Captain 160th SOAR Blackhawk pilot

OTHER INFO: I've been on the fence to serve since high school and with state of teaching and support of my wife I've decided to follow this new career. Missed the May board because I did not have my flight physical. Sucks that I have to wait until September due to the cancelation of the July board. I have never been more driven toward anything like this. I want everything this has to offer, the experience, pay,honor to serve and so on.

Wrong thread brother. Re-read the title.

Navy Reservist, started process Oct. 13 formally. Many waits and missing deadlines by days that resulted in month long waits, for example I received my flight physical two days after the deadline for the December battalion board, causing me to miss January's board.

GT: 141

ASVAB: 99

SIFT: 74

APFT: 278.

Education: BS in Maritime Administration, minor in Economics. 3.2 GPA

Waiver: Medical for a mole I had removed. To MEPS it was the end of the world,(6 month fight) flight surgeon couldnt have cared less. PRK

LoR: CWO4, Army Cpt, USMC Lt. Col, Unit CO Navy LCDR.

Board: 57/75

Flight Physical: Approved

Other Info: Navy Reserve E-6 (BM1/EXW) with solid evals. All top 20% 5 yrs TIG. Current LPO (Lead Petty Officer) of Cargo Handling Co. One Deployment, Detainee Ops Bagram Afghanistan with Flag Letter of Commendation and ARCOM.

I really can't believe my board score when looking at everyone's scores, but did get decent recommendations. The other person who boarded with me that day also got nearly the same score and we were both selected. They graded incredibly harsh, and knocked me severely for not having flight time, my response was that I volunteered over 100 hours last year at a museum that fly's vintage aircraft in order to get as close and involved as I could, and taking flying lessons while going to school full time with a two year old and one on the way would just be selfish of me. I had a hand tailored suit, the best shine I've ever given a pair of shoes, a 12 hour old haircut and perfect shave and it netted me a 1 out of 2 on personal appearance. The only thing I can think of is that some recruiting battalions may just grade harsher than others and the board realizes that.

• Like 1

Who sat on your board? Were they even aviators? Who are they to decide you need to get knocked down for no flight time? Sounds like a power trip. Good to hear that it didn't affect your selection though.

Yeah, no kidding...

Funny thing was I had a great time talking with the rec battalion commander, who was a former oh58 and uh60 pilot. I went in knowing the board members were not aviation, so I decided to try emphasize the fact that im a dedicated reservist with a long track record of good performance who can bring alot of management skills to assist my future unit since its not all flying. It didnt go over well at all, they took that to mean I wasnt interested in aviation enough to see it through. I let a guy cut my eyes open and shoot a friggin laser into them just for off chance of making it to the board. I think im committed.