Los Angles Area Pilots- FAA Stakeholders meeting

Goldy

For those of you following the noise complaints and public hearings the FAA has been having with residents in Los Angeles, now it's your turn to speak up!

The FAA will be having a meeting for stakeholders...that means you pilots, on Monday Oct 29th at 8 am. The meeting will be sponsored by PHPA, and the location hosted by LA County Fire-Barton Heliport. We'll have a 2 minute shuttle that takes you from Whiteman Airport to the meeting location.

So you can fly in to KWHP, or drive in, lots of room. There will also be a light lunch provided by PHPA.

If you are a pilot in LA, or flies thru LA regularly, you need to be there to voice your concerns. The residents have filed over 600 written complaints to the FAA and are encouraging that all helo flights be above 2500AGL, and that certain residential areas get permanent TFR's erected around them.

You can read all about the politicians efforts here: http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/ca28_berman/Berman_Announces_Public_Hearing_with_FAA_on_Helicopter_Noise.shtml

I highly encourage attendance, or you can email the FAA your concerns as a helo pilot at:

9-AWP-LA-NOISE@faa.gov

Hope to see you there!

Goldy

www.phpa.org

• Like 1

While noise abatement is a concern for all pilots, those proposed "fixes" seem extreme. 2500'AGL is simply way too high, and TFR's around "certain" residential areas? Seriously? That's just crazy talk...

This could easily snowball into more and more restrictions across the US if the complainants get their way.

And if they do, it's their own damn fault when they need EMS that won't be able to get in. Granted I'm sure EMS would be allowed in, it's the principal.

I haven't flown in the LA area, but will be sending an email for sure. Any recommendations on what to say and how to word it?

I have often wondered about people who buy/rent near a business that's been there for years then work their ass off to close them down or restrict their use. I spent 12 years on the local planning board and could only shake my head at the arrogance of people presuming THEY could demand (and get) their way.

Where would any of us be without these businesses? They have to be somewhere.

And now they've extended it to highways. Here they are building these huge noise barriers next to the highways so some dope who bought their house next to the road can shut out the noise.

Millions spent to satisfy a few noisy people!

Jus

I have often wondered about people who buy/rent near a business that's been there for years then work their ass off to close them down or restrict their use. I spent 12 years on the local planning board and could only shake my head at the arrogance of people presuming THEY could demand (and get) their way.

Where would any of us be without these businesses? They have to be somewhere.

And now they've extended it to highways. Here they are building these huge noise barriers next to the highways so some dope who bought their house next to the road can shut out the noise.

Millions spent to satisfy a few noisy people!

Agreed on that point! Just look at Van Nuys airport, I think it started in the late 20's as an airfield and all the surrounding homes were built in the 50's and 60's...or Santa Monica, same issue.

Take a look at the legislation that the Hamptons now have in place to see where all of this is headed. My primary concern is for the safety of my passengers, and I have to dodge fixed wings at 2000, I would never want to fly at 2500. Throw in some sporting event TFR's that require you to fly over residential areas and LA is a nightmare sometimes...

• Like 1

This has the makings of turning into a nightmare for us pilots. I have flown a lot in L.A. I don't know the locations that are an issue as of now. When I flew there I flew via the helicopter routes as posted on the chart and over the freeways. I also flew along the coast to avoid the residental areas.

2500' is not a good idea for a lot of reasons. Mainly for fixed wing traffic that is up there. You also have the marine layer to contend with. 1500' should work for most of the area, NO TFRs!