Flight Physical - Dental

I have been reading this helpful forum for a few weeks now, and have found all the answers I've needed without having to make any posts. However, I have run into an issue with my flight physical I would like to run by everyone.

First, a quick intro: I am a college op who was selected for Army OCS through the last USAREC board held Oct. 10. I received my orders for BCT about a week ago, and will be reporting to MEPS on the 19th of Nov. to leave for Basic. My goal is to have a competitive packet ready before then and try to branch AV during OCS. I could not schedule the AFAST until 3 days before I ship, but I am studying hard for that. I have 3 LORs, still waiting for another. I also have a Private Pilot Cert., but only have about 50 fixed wing hours.

Now for my question: I have successfully completed Phase 1 of the flight physical (hearing and optical) and am scheduled for Phase 2 on Tues. the 6th. However, I just received a phone call about the dental section on Form 2808. I was unable to have my dentist sign this box because I live 200 miles away from where I take the physical, and of course did not have the paperwork before I drove in for the brief/Phase 1. (I live in Alaska, hence the distance.) I did bring in a copy of my dental records which they said would be sufficient. Now I am being told my physical is on hold until I have the Army Dental Clinic on base in Anchorage sign off my form. I called their office today and they said they will not sign off since I am still civilian. My question is this: How have other non-prior service apps (both Warrants and Commissioned) gone about completing this section on DD Form 2808? I want to be sure before I drive another 400 miles just to have someone tell me afterwards, "Hold on, you actually need to have this done before next week." My current understanding is that I need to go physically pick up my packet in Anchorage, drive it all the way out here, have the Dentist Sign that one little box, and drive it back into Anchorage. From what I understand this document cannot just be faxed or emailed back and forth, is that right?

Thank you for your help, and thank you for this forum.

Should only need the signature. Even to stay current on active duty only requires class B, which is just a check up.

Sucks, but in the grand scheme of things.. probably the easiest 400 miles you'll do.

Should only need the signature. Even to stay current on active duty only requires class B, which is just a check up.

Sucks, but in the grand scheme of things.. probably the easiest 400 miles you'll do.

Thank you, sir. I'm getting conflicting answers from the physical exam office at Ft. Richardson. Some have said I will need a MEPS doctor to sign off in that spot, some have said it will need to be the doc on base, and initially I was told all I needed was the copy of dental records. However, I think in the end as long as there is a signature there of someone who is a dentist, I'm good to go.

I just want to be sure, and wondered what other civilians trying to get a flight physical have done. Do Warrant Officers fill out the 2808 too?

I will probably end up driving in this week.

Everyone I have spoken with at the troop medical clinic has verified I need to have block 83 a & b filled out by a dentist before I can have phase 2 of my flight physical. They just don't agree on which dentist that is. It's confusing them that I am civilian. The 20 other guys in the room for the brief the day before were AD.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2808.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

I drove to Anchorage, picked up the 4187, got an exam with a dentist and had him sign the block and check acceptable. He also filled out the dental form that I found online, as the 4187 describes to do.

During Phase II of the flight physical the doc barely glanced at the signature on the 4187 before entering my info. into the Ft. Rucker system as acceptable and shredding the document . He didn't even want to look at the dental form the dentist completed. All he wanted was to see a signature in the dental block and see it checked "yes."