January Selection Board

I didn't make it. FQ-NS. Any aviators or members willing to provide feedback on my packet? I have identified 3 areas that I may be able to improve. Take the SIFT, fine tune my resume and APFT score.

Age - 28

AFAST - 100

ASVAB/GT - ?/115

College - Bachelors Degree complete, BSBA in Computerized Information systems(complete), Started my MBA this month.

APFT - 221

Flight Time - N/A

LORs - AVN CW5, AVN LTC, CPT (Company Commander), Retired AVN COL, MAJ (AVN)

Battalion Board - N/A

Rank and MOS: CW2 , 255N

Years of service (Army Reserve): 7 enlisted, 3 as WO

Deployments: 2 , 1 as enlisted and 1 as WO (current)

The rush of seeing my name on that list reminded me of my first jump lol.. "HOOK UP"!!! And I'm thinking ohhhh sh@! Am I in over my head?! By the time I got to the door I heard "GO"!!! And I remember thinking... we'll find out! Lmao! I'm taking that same can-do attitude to WOCS!

Hah! Good times. My first jump I was the first one in line...the jumpmaster stuck me out in the standby position staring out the door for a good 2 minutes before the green light. Jerk. :lol:

• Like 1

I didn't make it. FQ-NS. Any aviators or members willing to provide feedback on my packet? I have identified 3 areas that I may be able to improve. Take the SIFT, fine tune my resume and APFT score.

Age - 28

AFAST - 100

ASVAB/GT - ?/115

College - Bachelors Degree complete, BSBA in Computerized Information systems(complete), Started my MBA this month.

APFT - 221

Flight Time - N/A

Battalion Board - N/A

I'd say you've identified those areas pretty well.

Age - 28

AFAST - 100

ASVAB/GT - ?/115

APFT - 221

Flight Time - N/A

Battalion Board - N/A

Work on your PT hard. I was told that anything less than a 250 doesn't really get a second look. Also study your ass off for the SIFT.

Work on your PT hard. I was told that anything less than a 250 doesn't really get a second look. Also study your ass off for the SIFT.

So I am going to work on my PT , and on the SIFT , I can take out here in Afghanistan. I had some study material for the AFAST, but of course, is at home. When you say " study" my ass off for the SIFT, any good study material ? I know it's an aptitude test, so really there is no study book for it. But what would you suggest studying? I read the Q&As on the SIFT that HRC posted. Where I would be able to find " ... aviation terminology, familiarity with aircraft components and function, knowledge of basic aerodynamic principles, and a grasp of basic flight rules and regulations..." study material so I can "refresh" my mind?

thanks for your words

Wally

Where I would be able to find " ... aviation terminology, familiarity with aircraft components and function, knowledge of basic aerodynamic principles, and a grasp of basic flight rules and regulations..." study material so I can "refresh" my mind?

thanks for your words

Wally

I would start here:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/faa-h-8083-21.pdf

It is a free download. Have fun... ;)

• Like 1

Good luck Wally. You might be up for a tough process. I don't remember any non-aviator Warrants re-branching into aviation while I was down there. I met one Captain who re-branched from armor, but he worked his butt off and took a job at Fort Rucker to meet people and get known before he ever managed to get the slot.

You might have more luck with a Guard or Reserve unit.

But higher test/PT scores will be a good start to improving your chances.

Good luck Wally. You might be up for a tough process. I don't remember any non-aviator Warrants re-branching into aviation while I was down there. I met one Captain who re-branched from armor, but he worked his butt off and took a job at Fort Rucker to meet people and get known before he ever managed to get the slot.

You might have more luck with a Guard or Reserve unit.

But higher test/PT scores will be a good start to improving your chances.

I had a CW2 in my class that rebranched from Admin I think. He was an O3, reverted to W2 then dropped his packet, so I have seen it done.

That being said a 227 on your PT test really isn't putting your best foot forward for the board. I would bring it up to at least a 260 to show motivation. Like stearmann says, "I'm not a runner" doesn't cut it for the most competitive branch in the Army.

Good luck on your March board, with a stronger PT score and good SIFT score I don't think you will have much to worry about

I had a CW2 in my class that rebranched from Admin I think. He was an O3, reverted to W2 then dropped his packet, so I have seen it done.

That being said a 227 on your PT test really isn't putting your best foot forward for the board. I would bring it up to at least a 260 to show motivation. Like stearmann says, "I'm not a runner" doesn't cut it for the most competitive branch in the Army.

Good luck on your March board, with a stronger PT score and good SIFT score I don't think you will have much to worry about

Thanks Electron_si...

yes, that is my Goal.. Stronger PT and to take the SIFT. I don't see why would a GT score be an issue here, even though is not that high. I think also I need to work with my Resume (fine tuning) . What about LORs , I have 5. 1 CW5 Senior Aviator, 1 LTC(P) Senior Aviator , 1 CPT SC Company Commander , 1 Ret COL Aviation and 1 MAJ Aviation . So 3 per the checklist, and 2 extras. Do I need more? 25 February is the deadline for updates for the March board. Wish me luck! Any other insights are welcomed!

Thanks Electron_si...

yes, that is my Goal.. Stronger PT and to take the SIFT. I don't see why would a GT score be an issue here, even though is not that high. I think also I need to work with my Resume (fine tuning) . What about LORs , I have 5. 1 CW5 Senior Aviator, 1 LTC(P) Senior Aviator , 1 CPT SC Company Commander , 1 Ret COL Aviation and 1 MAJ Aviation . So 3 per the checklist, and 2 extras. Do I need more? 25 February is the deadline for updates for the March board. Wish me luck! Any other insights are welcomed!

It doesn't sound like LOR's are what is holding you back. All my friends that were active duty that got selected were 290-300 PT scores, and I mean more than 10 guys that I know, and were all selected first look. If board members expect a high PT score from an enlisted soldier, the officer packet is being held to an EVEN HIGHER STANDARD. Lead from the front is something that is always taught in the army so I have no doubt that your PT score is probably what made you get passed over on your first look. A 260 PT score would probably get you in but I would shoot for a 275+ just to be safe.

I'll be honest, the PFT is freaking me out. I'm prior service Air Force (and despite the stereotype, I was in good shape then). That was 7 years ago. I'm in good shape now, but I haven't been AD Army and completing the PT test on a regular basis. Fear of the unknown and stuff. I know what is expected, and I'm working hard to get there, but until I do... I'm scared of what could happen if I dont get as high as I want.

Only thing left to do is try.

• Like 1

DC the link to the rotocraft guide looks very helpful any sections in particular that you think would be especially helpful for the army aviation/helicopter knowledge portion of the sift?

Aerodynamics, basic helicopter systems/controls, and basic flight regulations/weather. This comes from a paper posted earlier in this thread that talks about the evolution of the SIFT.

EDIT: Sorry, replying to these on my phone--thought this was the SIFT thread, which is where you can find that paper I was referring to.

I also suggest going to www.webexams.com and doing the practice questions for the FAA Helicopter Private Pilot Knowledge Written Exam. The AFAST at least took questions almost exactly from the FAA written, and I wouldn't be surprised if the SIFT did too. It's a good way to see how the questions are framed and thus determine exactly what you should be studying in the Helicopter Flying Handbook.

It doesn't sound like LOR's are what is holding you back. All my friends that were active duty that got selected were 290-300 PT scores, and I mean more than 10 guys that I know, and were all selected first look. If board members expect a high PT score from an enlisted soldier, the officer packet is being held to an EVEN HIGHER STANDARD. Lead from the front is something that is always taught in the army so I have no doubt that your PT score is probably what made you get passed over on your first look. A 260 PT score would probably get you in but I would shoot for a 275+ just to be safe.

Thanks! Definitely I need to take the SIFT also... what are your thoughts on the GT score? I might not have the time on also to improve the GT score from now until 25 Feb. Is that something I should look if I get passed over on a second look?

thanks, Wally

I wouldn't worry about a 115 too much, I would focus on the SIFT and APFT. I don't think the SIFT score is going to weight as heavily at the board because it's so new and people are just getting used to it, but I could be wrong.

When i applied (National Guard) My stats were:

ASVAB/GT: 87/119 AFAST: 129 PT: 269 LOR: 1 CPT, 2 W4 MTP's which i both knew very well

I was an E-5 WLC complete with a BA in Communication Studies and 3.27 GPA. I was also a WG-12 UH-60 Mechanic working full time for the battallion that I had my battallion board with.

I wouldn't worry about a 115 too much, I would focus on the SIFT and APFT. I don't think the SIFT score is going to weight as heavily at the board because it's so new and people are just getting used to it, but I could be wrong.

When i applied (National Guard) My stats were:

ASVAB/GT: 87/119 AFAST: 129 PT: 269 LOR: 1 CPT, 2 W4 MTP's which i both knew very well

I was an E-5 WLC complete with a BA in Communication Studies and 3.27 GPA. I was also a WG-12 UH-60 Mechanic working full time for the battallion that I had my battallion board with.

Ok.. I see. Thanks for sharing. Definitely the SIFT and APFT. 25 Feb is the deadline. In my situation, I work at Redstone Arsenal, under AMCOM as a DA Civilian in the PEO Aviation Office, but with Foreign Military Sales. So I have been interacting with a lot of ex-aviators and Aviators with foreign countries. But we don't deal with the UH-60 physically.

I'd eventually like to get an AMCOM job at Redstone. I've taken a few classes with Huddleston down there for NDT, and I liked the area a lot. Much better than FT Rucker.

I'm technically a DAC as well but I fall under "federal Technician" status which is a little different. Let me know if you guys are hiring for GS-11 or above :)

• Like 1

I'd eventually like to get an AMCOM job at Redstone. I've taken a few classes with Huddleston down there for NDT, and I liked the area a lot. Much better than FT Rucker.

I'm technically a DAC as well but I fall under "federal Technician" status which is a little different. Let me know if you guys are hiring for GS-11 or above :)

I love Huntsville too. I am a 0346 . The other day they had a rare Fly job opportunity posted on USA Jobs. There always postings in USA JOBS for either AMC, AMCOM, USASAC, etc. There are plenty of agencies and a great Warrant Officer Asociation Chapter! I'll say the best one in the States! :o) .... But I will be working on improving my packet for the second look. Wish me luck!

And yes, i will let you know is I know about anything of a job offer... what is your "job code" ?

Wally

I love Huntsville too. I am a 0346 . The other day they had a rare Fly job opportunity posted on USA Jobs. There always postings in USA JOBS for either AMC, AMCOM, USASAC, etc. There are plenty of agencies and a great Warrant Officer Asociation Chapter! I'll say the best one in the States! :o) .... But I will be working on improving my packet for the second look. Wish me luck!

And yes, i will let you know is I know about anything of a job offer... what is your "job code" ?

Wally

Wally

I just PM'd you so we dont thread jack anymore.

Tony