Army Aviators with prior civilian ratings

Conversely, if you go on to fly 47s, you can't legally log PIC until you graduate from FS 21 because in the civilian world it requires a Type Rating (BV-234). You can also get that added to your existing license when you get winged. The UH-60s used to have a type (S-70) but they did away with it a decade or so ago.

Update: I discovered that the FAA has recently re-instated the S-70 (UH-60) type rating. You are eligibile to have that added to your license as well. Individual FSDOs vary on their policy if graduation from the AQC is sufficient, or you must be designated as a PC.

Mike-

• Like 1

Update: I discovered that the FAA has recently re-instated the S-70 (UH-60) type rating. You are eligibile to have that added to your license as well. Individual FSDOs vary on their policy if graduation from the AQC is sufficient, or you must be designated as a PC.

Mike-

And the Renton FSDO?

Very interesting, good find Mike.

P.S. I sent you a reply to that email a week or two ago, and got a failed delivery response.

I'm still debating to fork over the $80 to have the local people push my commercial ticket through or to just try to go to a FSDO for my license. It just seems crazy to pay for something you could get done for free.

My guess is that when you look into what's required to call (most likely several times) to get an appointment with an FAA examiner/ops inspector, drive to the FSDO, go through ther security scanner, and spend an hour laying out all your documentation, all the while making yourself available to answer any pertinent question the examiner wishes to ask you...I think you'll find the $80 to the sham place in Ozark or wherever they're doing it now is an out and out bargain in aviation. Every time I go to Rucker for a new course (fixed wing, IP, etc) I pay my $80 and have it on my license before I come back home.

Every FSDO is different, some are very cooperatiove and familiar with the equivelency certifications process, and some are not. There is little stadardization within the agency when it comes to this.

On top of that, there's more senior WOs than I can count in my unit who planned on just "getting it for free when I get to my unit" which is now several years ago because they got busy, forgot about it, etc. Take it with a grain of salt and go do it and be glad the service is available.

Mike-

I guess the FSDO here is just a good one then because the gentleman who does it will drive and meet you halfway. It sucks that some other places aren't as user friendly.

Or he just doesn't have anything else to do...

FSDO's are finicky, that's for sure.

BTW, I paid the $80, I had priorities.. beer or waste my own time pushing paper...

Every FSDO is different, some are very cooperatiove and familiar with the equivelency certifications process, and some are not. There is little stadardization within the agency when it comes to this.

Which is funny because it's called the....

Flight STANDARDS district office.

Guess it's all in how you interpret that. I had a good experience with the Miramar FSDO. I have heard of others being not so much fun.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my commercial instrument RW with S-70 type rating a few weeks ago, about a month after i moved home from rucker. I called my local FSDO (Kansas City) and he actually called a few guys he knew to see if someone was closer that would drive and meet me but i told him i had no problem driving 30 miles to come down to his office. He knew exactly what i was trying to get as he was a former CW3 army pilot and was very helpful. After about 45 minutes and a few army stories I walked out with a temp in hand. It was a really easy process and cost me nothing but gas and a few minutes which i didn't mind sparing to listen to a former aviator who was know a good contact at the FAA for any future ratings. He also explained the CFI transition for military IP's and encouraged me to pursue more free ratings from the army.

• Like 1