Pay While Training

Ok, so now that I've officially been in the Army for about 14 hours ;) , I am wondering about pay. Well, more like my wife is worried that we are going to go broke while I'm at basic <_<

This is the part I think I understand: During basic I will get paid as an E-3 since that's what I would have enlisted as due to my college credits. After basic, during WOCS, I will get paid as an E-5. And after graduation from WOCS I will start getting paid as a WO-1.

I'm also pretty sure that during basic and WOCS, I will get BAH based on my current rank, and based on where my place of residence was before shipping (since I'm an old married man with kids, lol). Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

My questions are:

1) How long does it take to get paid the first time? I've heard it can be months, but it seems that the most common time frame is 4-6 weeks after starting basic. Can anyone confirm?

2) Will I get paid flight pay while in flight school, or does that just start after you complete flight school? or when you move on to your specific airframe?

Thanks for any help. It's a ways away for me, but I know it will set my wife's mind at ease if we have an idea of how this is going to work. I preparing to save a months worth of expenses before I go in case my first paycheck is not paid out for awhile.

• Like 1

This is the part I think I understand: During basic I will get paid as an E-3 since that's what I would have enlisted as due to my college credits. After basic, during WOCS, I will get paid as an E-5. And after graduation from WOCS I will start getting paid as a WO-1.

I'm also pretty sure that during basic and WOCS, I will get BAH based on my current rank, and based on where my place of residence was before shipping (since I'm an old married man with kids, lol). Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I thought they would put you through basic as an E-4. I could be wrong. I don't have any reference for that, I just assumed all WOFT applicants go through as an E-4. Either way it's not because that's what you would have been. For those first 9 weeks you will actually be an E-3/E-4. Keep that in mind when you have E-6s and E-7s screaming at you every day. The rest is accurate.

My questions are:

1) How long does it take to get paid the first time? I've heard it can be months, but it seems that the most common time frame is 4-6 weeks after starting basic. Can anyone confirm?

Sounds about right.

2) Will I get paid flight pay while in flight school, or does that just start after you complete flight school? or when you move on to your specific airframe?

Flight pay starts day 1 of primary.

I thought they would put you through basic as an E-4. I could be wrong. I don't have any reference for that, I just assumed all WOFT applicants go through as an E-4. Either way it's not because that's what you would have been. For those first 9 weeks you will actually be an E-3/E-4. Keep that in mind when you have E-6s and E-7s screaming at you every day. The rest is accurate.

You know what they say about assumptions... ;)

In basic you'll get paid E-3 since, like you said, that's what your college credits net you. If you have a degree you'll get paid as an E-4. If you were a HS grad w/ no college, you'd get paid E-1/E-2, depending on various things.

Everything else is accurate (technically Celica was accurate on this one but d10 decided to muddy the waters a little ;) ).

Guys in my BCT and WOCS class got their BAH and separation pay. You don't get BAS because that is for you, not your family, and the Army pays for your food costs at the DFAC. You will get it after WOCS as a WO1. And yes, you'll go in as an E3 for BCT and E5 for WOCS, WO1 after - all correct.

I shipped on the 8th, got paid the 1st.

I went as an E3. Paid as an E3 with BAH for Austin, TX and got seperation pay. It took a month or so to get paid, and it will get f*cked up.

Paid as an E5 in WOCS, again with BAH and Sep pay.

Flight orders came down for the start of aeromed.

I would point out that I remember being your age like yesterday, but that means I also remember people telling me the same thing and they were all really old. So I'll just give you this angry smiley instead: :angry:

So you're old *and* grouchy? ;)