Pasadena Heliport crash

Goldy

So I'm walking back from the USC vs UCLA game tonight when a helicopter makes a hard landing at the Pasadena Heliport just a few miles from my house.

I saw the paramedics take at least one person to the hospital, but I am hearing that both pilots were ok.

We'll get more details in a few hours I'm sure..

Glad to hear there were no major injuries...

(update) Looks like 6 minor injuries, two birds collided on the helipad.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/11/17/6-reportedly-injured-after-2-pasadena-police-choppers-collide-in-altadena/

Edited by Goldy

post-2917-0-40836800-1353208120_thumb.jpg

Turns out 4 pd officers in two OH58's were transported, and another who was on the ground. One ship was starting up, the other was landing. Sure looks like a main rotor strike to me. Both main rotors were off of both helicopters. Both rotors were still intact with roots attached to the grips, but laying about 20 feet away.

Here's a shot as one of the victims is transported.

Edited by Goldy

Goldy-

Wife & I were headed up the 210 over to Ventura just after game finished. I was kind of curious that CHP had 3 cars dedicated to the N/B exit of Windsor. OK, me thinks, big game. lots o traffic. But, the S/B exit was blocked by 7 CHP & a couple of Pas units. Sump'ums up. Glad we weren't S/B 210...traffic was jacked from the 2. Might be extra units for the game, but I thought CHP would have dedicated half of the Altadena station for 2 intersections. And no surface traffic from Windsor was joining the 210. Hmmm. Considering the port is on Yucca, would LE have shut things down that far away? Keep the route clear?

Guess we won't be seeing the FAST 58's for awhile. Be interesting to see if any crime trends/ stats grow for the partner cities.

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

• Like 1

Glad to hear no one was seriously injured.

"Be interesting to see if any crime trends/ stats grow for the partner cities"-

The crime rate In my city has increased by over 15% since the closure of our air unit due to budget cuts last year. There are many factors that could be contributing to that increase including a reduction in police officers and a rising crime rate trend in the state. I do feel it is a factor though.

I know Pasadena has a strong commitment to air support, but losing two aircraft is a difficult hit for any law enforcement budget. Hopefully they get back up and running soon.

I would say all accidents are "preventable" and 90% are caused by "poor judgement". That being said, to error is human. We don't know all the facts and I don't want to moday morning quarterback these guys. I do not feel the issue is two aircraft operating on the pad at the same time. This is not uncommon for a busy port and operating one aircraft at a time is a luxury we don't always have.

I'm sure their workload was increased due to the big game. I will guess the issue resulted from a lack of communication that led to a lack of seperation causing a MR blade strike. The error chain was not broken.

• Like 1