San Fran R-44 Jump

JCM5

Awesome video! That would be freakin' awesome to do. Now I patiently wait for someone to use some FAA rule to slam the video, anyone's liking of the video, and anyone who says it's awesome, and subsequently train wreck the thread. :lol:

• Like 4

That was me flying the robbie. Did you see my buzzcut ? It's not shown in the video, but after I dropped those jumpers, I "buzzed" NightSta1ker's house. He waved to me. He had just gotten back to his house from jumping. He was one of the jumpers. Guess which one. He told me he liked my buzzcut.

• Like 2

Awesome video! That would be freakin' awesome to do.

Now I patiently wait for someone to use some FAA rule to slam the video,

:lol:

A better question for study is what, if any, FAA requirements must be met for a jump, over this type area?

For you as PIC, is this just another "that's awesome lets do it" flight?

Edited by iChris
  • Like 1

Love this video!

While the GoPro is not the only small video camera it has pretty much captured the market through better marketing. I've got mine...and it's awesome! Had it with me while cherry-drying in the S-55 last summer, and as soon as I figure out how to edit the movies I'll post one.

**Part 105   >   Section 21 - Parachute operations over or into a congested area or an open-air assembly of persons

(a) No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to be conducted from that aircraft, over or into a congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or an open-air assembly of persons unless a certificate of authorization for that parachute operation has been issued under this section. However, a parachutist may drift over a congested area or an open-air assembly of persons with a fully deployed and properly functioning parachute if that parachutist is at a sufficient altitude to avoid creating a hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(B) An application for a certificate of authorization issued under this section must --

(1) Be made in the form and manner prescribed by the Administrator, and

(2) Contain the information required in §105.15(a) of this part.

© Each holder of, and each person named as a participant in a certificate of authorization issued under this section must comply with all requirements contained in the certificate of authorization.

(d) Each holder of a certificate of authorization issued under this section must present that certificate for inspection upon the request of the Administrator, or any Federal, State, or local official.

**Part 105   >   Section 15 - Information required and notice of cancellation or postponement of a parachute operation

(a) Each person requesting an authorization under §§105.21(B) and 105.25(a)(2) of this part and each person submitting a notification under §105.25(a)(3) of this part must provide the following information (on an individual or group basis):

(1) The date and time the parachute operation will begin.

(2) The radius of the drop zone around the target expressed in nautical miles.

(3) The location of the center of the drop zone in relation to --

(i) The nearest VOR facility in terms of the VOR radial on which it is located and its distance in nautical miles from the VOR facility when that facility is 30 nautical miles or less from the drop zone target; or

(ii) the nearest airport, town, or city depicted on the appropriate Coast and Geodetic Survey World Aeronautical Chart or Sectional Aeronautical Chart, when the nearest VOR facility is more than 30 nautical miles from the drop zone target.

(4) Each altitude above mean sea level at which the aircraft will be operated when parachutists or objects exist the aircraft.

(5) The duration of the intended parachute operation.

(6) The name, address, and telephone number of the person who requests the authorization or gives notice of the parachute operation.

(7) The registration number of the aircraft to be used.

(8) The name of the air traffic control facility with jurisdiction of the airspace at the first intended exit altitude to be used for the parachute operation.

(B) Each holder of a certificate of authorization issued under §§105.21(B) and 105.25(B) of this part must present that certificate for inspection upon the request of the Administrator or any Federal, State, or local official.

© Each person requesting an authorization under §§105.21(B) and 105.25(a)(2) of this part and each person submitting a notice under §105.25(a)(3) of this part must promptly notify the air traffic control facility having jurisdiction over the affected airspace if the proposed or scheduled parachute operation is canceled or postponed.

And knowing San Fran's airspace, probably:

**Part 105   >   Section 25 - Parachute operations in designated airspace

(a) No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to be conducted from that aircraft --

(1) Over or within a restricted area or prohibited area unless the controlling agency of the area concerned has authorized that parachute operation;

(2) Within or into a Class A, B, C, D airspace area without, or in violation of the requirements of, an air traffic control authorization issued under this section;

(3) Except as provided in paragraph © and (d) of this section, within or into Class E or G airspace area unless the air traffic control facility having jurisdiction over the airspace at the first intended exit altitude is notified of the parachute operation no earlier than 24 hours before or no later than 1 hour before the parachute operation begins.

(B) Each request for a parachute operation authorization or notification required under this section must be submitted to the air traffic control facility having jurisdiction over the airspace at the first intended exit altitude and must include the information prescribed by §105.15(a) of this part.

© For the purposes of paragraph (a)(3) of this section, air traffic control facilities may accept a written notification from an organization that conducts parachute operations and lists the scheduled series of parachute operations to be conducted over a stated period of time not longer than 12 calendar months. The notification must contain the information prescribed by §105.15(a) of this part, identify the responsible persons associated with that parachute operation, and be submitted at least 15 days, but not more than 30 days, before the parachute operation begins. The FAA may revoke the acceptance of the notification for any failure of the organization conducting the parachute operations to comply with its requirements.

(d) Paragraph (a)(3) of this section does not apply to a parachute operation conducted by a member of an Armed Force within a restricted area that extends upward from the surface when that area is under the control of an Armed Force.

I've dropped hundreds of skydivers and arranging these types of events is never too difficult if you give the FSDO sufficient notice to process the 7711-2 CERTIFICATION OF WAIVER OR AUTHORIZATION APPLICATION. I'd be more concerned about all of that weight hanging on the R44 skids..! Hasn't Frank explicitly forbidden down-loads like this on R44 landing gear?

Some helpful links for anyone considering doing Heli jumps...

http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/form/faa7711-2.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC%20105-2D.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/airshow/waiver/media/waiver_auth_info.pdf

PS: Also, its your responsibility to ensure the jumpers are using an approved single-harness, dual canopy system, NOT a base jumping rig. Have them show you the reserve chute if there is any doubt.

Edited by 280fxColorado

Love this video!

While the GoPro is not the only small video camera it has pretty much captured the market through better marketing. I've got mine...and it's awesome! Had it with me while cherry-drying in the S-55 last summer, and as soon as I figure out how to edit the movies I'll post one.

Glad you like yours. Seems like the gopro always comes out ahead when compared to the competitors. Do you have the 1, 2, or 3?

Looking forward to seeing your videos.

Rotortramp, mine's a Hero2. Only complaint is that the battery doesn't last all that long. Need to buy another battery to keep on-hand, and I think they sell a bigger battery that lasts longer. Other than that, I love the thing!

• Like 1

Rotortramp, mine's a Hero2. Only complaint is that the battery doesn't last all that long. Need to buy another battery to keep on-hand, and I think they sell a bigger battery that lasts longer. Other than that, I love the thing!

I got the extended battery pack for my HD2 - it's essential! I also use a 32G memory stick and can easily get a little over 2 hours of recording time with a full charge.

A better question for study is what, if any, FAA requirements must be met for a jump, over this type area?

For you as PIC, is this just another "that's awesome lets do it" flight?

Who cares, that was the point of my post! Forget the FAA for once and enjoy the video.

To be anally literal, the bombsquad may have flown over SF but they jumped over Oakland and/or the city of Alameda. The landing took place in the Oakland estuary some 5 miles from the City.

Cool nonetheless and the GoPro product seems to have close bond with helo images…. Sadly, it takes away what we’ve known for years. That is, our office often provides some of the most spectacular scenery ever seen........

I'm sure you've all seen this one before. It's one of my favorites ;)

• Like 1

Who cares, that was the point of my post! Forget the FAA for once and enjoy the video.

Yes, it was an awesome video! However, what did we learn from it? There had to have been more to it than some people jumping from a helicopter and Hero2 GoPro. So who cares if we take some time to learn more about our industry?

Many have no ideal of the planning that goes into these types of events. The regulatory (FAR Part 105) side is one many are not familiar with. Check out 280fxColorado's post above.

Special Provisions (Redacted) of the Certificate of Authorization (form 7711-1) from an actual Red Bull demonstration:

RedBullParachuteJumpRedacted_Page_1.jpg

RedBullParachuteJumpRedacted_Page_2.jpgRedBullParachuteJumpRedacted_Page_3.jpg

PagesfromRedBullParachuteJump.jpg

Edited by iChris
  • Like 1

Wow, now we have pilots in training posting to not worry about learning about safe and legal helicopter operations, just watch a video that could be posted on a sky diving forum.

Will such statements be the same after a pilot does something unsafe that causes injury or a fatality because no one made this forum a source of information from experienced and knowledgable mentors?

What about the skid loading issue? Just STFU and watch the video. No FAA or OEM stuff, just watch the video!

Fortunately, 280fxColorado and iChris stepped up and provided some good info.

SS6113, your statement surprised me. Pilot attitudes are looked at by many industry professionals. Who do you want to be in the helicopter industry?

Best wishes,

Mike

Wow, now we have pilots in training posting to not worry about learning about safe and legal helicopter operations, just watch a video that could be posted on a sky diving forum.

Will such statements be the same after a pilot does something unsafe that causes injury or a fatality because no one made this forum a source of information from experienced and knowledgable mentors?

What about the skid loading issue? Just STFU and watch the video. No FAA or OEM stuff, just watch the video!

Fortunately, 280fxColorado and iChris stepped up and provided some good info.

SS6113, your statement surprised me. Pilot attitudes are looked at by many industry professionals. Who do you want to be in the helicopter industry?

Best wishes,

Mike

I never said to ignore or not learn safe and legal helicopter operations. I apologize if my post came off that way. It is CERTAINLY not who I am, or how I operate. Having lost 8 friends in a single aviation mishap in Africa due to lack of pilot awareness, aviation safety is a matter I take very seriously when I'm in the cockpit or even around aircraft. Yes, the POH says to not hang items from the skids of the R44. Yes I know better than to go do something such as sky diving without being versed on the FAA regulations and rules on it. Yes, it was excellent info from two experienced pilots on that topic. I NEVER said I don't care about safe operation of helicopters. Yes, I may only have 65hrs in helicopters as a pilot, but I'm confident my 2600 hrs/9 years as a crew chief on military helicopters give me enough background to understand safe operation of a helicopter. It doesn't carry over 100% to the pilot side, but it certainly has helped me. It seems EVERY thread on here turns into an argument and/or a big pissing match. The last few longer threads on here, it seems it never fails. The point of my post was to not be so serious for ONCE and not turn the thread into a negative one. IS that even possible here? People take comments so serious and skew things so far it's crazy.

Edited by superstallion6113
  • Like 1

^ Now that is the SS6113 that I respect. If I can assist you in any way PM or email me. My post was not meant as a personal attack on you and I do agree with you on the pissing contest on here lately!

Best wishes,

Mike

• Like 1

The point of my post was to not be so serious for ONCE and not turn the thread into a negative one.

No one turned it into a negative thread. They turned it into an informative thread. Matter of fact, when iChris posed the question, the first thing that popped in my head was "That's a really good question. I have no idea!" So now, not only did I get to see a pretty cool video, I also walked away with a little bit more knowledge. And that, my friend, is never a bad thing.

No one turned it into a negative thread. They turned it into an informative thread. Matter of fact, when iChris posed the question, the first thing that popped in my head was "That's a really good question. I have no idea!" So now, not only did I get to see a pretty cool video, I also walked away with a little bit more knowledge. And that, my friend, is never a bad thing.

I know, but recently most threads seems to have gone the negative way. Like nightstalkers thread. IChris did post some good info. I admit, I don't care in reply to iChris' post was a very bad choice of words. I guess I need to remember this is more of a professional forum than a leisure one.

Edited by superstallion6113

I have had the pleasure of seeing the BombSquad in action. They are sponsored by GoPro and do jumps all the time at many events. I was on Standby at the Infineon Raceway when they did a jump for the opening festivities. I spoke with the pilot briefly as well. They are (at the time, may still be) using an R-44 based out of Watsonville.

I am sure everything they do has been approved as needed, I would be suprised otherwise.

Cool video JCM5 and better still ;) . I have saw that video before and thought the view was neat. Makes me wonder how it was done I didn't see any people (or shadows of people), or a rope/string to spin the rotors.

Cool video JCM5 and better still ;) . I have saw that video before and thought the view was neat. Makes me wonder how it was done I didn't see any people (or shadows of people), or a rope/string to spin the rotors.

He said he just spun the rotors up by hand as quick as he could and then went and hid in a bush or behind a log etc....i'd like to do the same with my gopro on my off airport adventures

My instructor and I find some cool off-airport LZ's sometimes but we generally don't shut it down....