Is this how the Warrant Officer community is?

Ever since I downloaded the sample packet all the way up through selection and beyond it seems like every warrant officer I have met, whether active or retired, or any aviator for that matter, has been extremely helpful. More than I could have imagined.

I've had guys calling in favors, cancelling appointments to meet me, calling me to ask if I needed anything, etc. When I was in a crunch and needed a DA photo immediately the CW5 I was speaking with called the place himself and said I was his soldier and I needed priority and needed to get put in the next day. The photos were booked for months. I got my photo the next day.

When I took one of my flight physicals my blood pressure spiked because of anxiety. The nurses were less than helpful and tried to just DQ me. The flight surgeon walked in and said that I just needed to relax and it was no biggie. The nurses complained as it was time for them to get off. The surgeon said that nobody was going home until I passed my BP test. So I sat there after hours thinking about beaches and waves and calmed down and passed. They weren't happy, but I was thankful.

I got selected and needed to know my class date quickly due to my unit pressuring me. Everyone I called said to just wait. I ran into a CW2 during lunch and simply approached him and asked him what I should do. He sat there with me for about an hour calling a friend who called a friend who called a higher friend who knew something and got my class date emailed to me early, the next day.

Every few days I get a phone call or a text from various Warrant Officers asking how I'm doing and if I needed anything or if my unit was being cooperative with me and my decision to become a pilot. And they mean it. One time when my unit wasn't being exactly cooperative with some paperwork a CW5 I met gave them a ring and said it needed to get resolved, time now. Needless to say I wasn't given the runaround anymore.

All the Warrants I speak with say its a far cry from the regular army Im used to. I guess its why so many of them seem to stay in until they are literally forced to retire.

Is this how the community is overall? If so it's a great feeling.

• Like 2

That has been my experience but it has been the Officer and Warrant Officer Pilots. Every time I talk to one pilot they know somebody they want me to talk to just because. When I met with a LtCol to get a LOR, I mentioned I was having problems finding out the status of my flight physical. Within 10 minutes I knew exactly what Rucker needed to complete it.

Like you said, so far my experience with Army Aviators has been a far cry from anything I've experienced in the Marine Corps.

As Brackac said, Rucker isn't an accurate representation of the camaraderie found in the Warrant Officer Corps, primarily because there are so many of them in one place.

Military wide, warrants between the Army, Navy and Marine Corps are such a small percentage of the officer corps that it just lends itself to being close-knit. Outside aviation a Soldier can go months or years without ever coming face to face with a Warrant Officer.

That said, we have our "10%" just like any other community but nobody got here without someone else taking the time to help an aspiring WOC. I think most guys/gals realize that and make the effort to pass it on.

I had the opportunity to go to OCS and chose WOCS instead and after 23 years I think it was probably the wisest career decision I ever made.

MR-

• Like 3

It really is a great feeling. I understand that Rucker won't be like this. I've been in the Army awhile so I understand the difference between training and "real" Army. It's just great to have so much help and encouragement from those around me who honestly don't even know me. Being enlisted and in combat arms that sort of thing isn't nearly as prevalent. I'm just not used to it.

I will definitely pass this characteristic on once I become a Warrant Officer. I do it now already and will continue to do so. Since I got selected (something that everyone in my unit said was rare, improbable, not likely, etc) many Soldiers have come forth wanting to give it a try since they see that it actually is possible. I'm currently helping 3 different Soldiers put together packets and giving them the connections that I have. One of them is actually my Platoon Sgt who had been trying to do this for years but never quite knew where to start. Within a week we've completed about half of his packet. Its so much easier to do this when you have help. I'll be sure to continue extending the same guidance to others as was given to me.

This is so good to hear and one of the deciding factors that made me want to return to the Army as a pilot. It's really hard to find genuinely good people these days and it seems as though Warrant aviators are typically of this demeanor. Even just seeing posts from active and prospective Warrants on this board gets me really excited to hopefully get accepted into a group of such like-minded people.

This is so good to hear and one of the deciding factors that made me want to return to the Army as a pilot. It's really hard to find genuinely good people these days and it seems as though Warrant aviators are typically of this demeanor. Even just seeing posts from active and prospective Warrants on this board gets me really excited to hopefully get accepted into a group of such like-minded people.

x2! I've been out for 4 years and I'm starting to grown disdain for civilian employment. To this day I still consider not re-enlisting as a C-5 Loadmaster is one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Sure I got a degree, got to spend that new GI Bill, but for the most part I miss the aircrew life style.

It was just a big family, that had it's drama. Knowing what I know now I would take that drama over civilian drama everyday of the week. I've got life long Air Force friends that I consider just as close to me as a brother. I'd drop anything to help them at a time in need.

I can tell you I worked closely with the 160TH out of Campbell doing Presidential Support, and besides the Seabees nobody comes close to having their sh*t together. When I landed in Campbell I always gave the senior officer in charge free rein of my air craft. I would often laugh at just how good those guys are. They would fly the little birds feet from the nose of the C-5, land, and have it tied down faster than I could get straps out.

The best part looking back was finding yourself in a different situation everyday of week, doing the impossible. 28 hour days where the normal but I'd trade a 4 hour day starring at the computer any day.

• Like 1

All I can do is echo everyone else. The Warrant Officer community is fantastic, and people you've never even met will go out of their way to have your back at any time of the day or night.

Yes, B co is the exception, but Bravo is literally TRADOC rendered in physical form and distilled down to its purest essence. Normal laws of Physics do not apply within 5km of the building. Beyond those hallowed walls, the W.O. Corps is one of the Army's best success stories.

• Like 2