Lippo Anyone?

pilot#476398

A job's coming up soon flying an R22. Last year you almost got it, but they chose the other guy because, "We really need someone lighter,...around 180lbs". Try as you may, you just haven't been able to get those last 20-25lbs to go away! The job's coming up in a couple months!

Would you pay to have the fat sucked out?

A job's coming up soon flying an R22. Last year you almost got it, but they chose the other guy because, "We really need someone lighter,...around 180lbs". Try as you may, you just haven't been able to get those last 20-25lbs to go away! The job's coming up in a couple months!

Would you pay to have the fat sucked out?

If I'm competing for an R22 job chances are I don't have money for plastic surgery :lol:. Time to cut out a meal of Ramen and I'll hit that in no time.

This does pose the question of how much your flight weight is factored in when deciding between candidates.

1500 hour pilot @ 170lbs

vs

2500 hour pilot @ 215lbs

Nope!

When I started flying my instructor told me weight is always gonna be an issue in this industry. Luckily I have the metabolism of a field mouse, eat healthy and exercise. It does have its downfalls I always got the big students and when I flew tours I was always max gross with all seats filled, bosses love me ;-)

Change your diet! Exercise is great too but the biggest factor is usually what you are putting into your system! Watch Forks Over Knives. I'm no vegetarian, but I stopped eating dairy products and limit my meat intake, eat fresh veggies and fruits and I've lost 10 lbs. Go for a run a couple times a week and some other calisthenics and you should see that weight come off. It won't happen instantly, but you will lose the weight. Maybe not happening this year, but start now and next year you will be good to go.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I dont have to worry too much about weight. Although I know its not going to last forever so I try to eat well, take my dogs for a run in the morning. I have a couple of friends that are a good bit over 200 pounds. Great pilots but as said before this industry is big on weight.

So far no, huh? Well how about if I up the antie?

You've been looking for your first job for 2.5 years now. If you don't get this job, chances are you're looking at another year at your crapy, non-flying day job, renting once every 2-3 months, if you're lucky!

They seemed to really like you last year, so you're almost certain you'll get an offer this year (or at least make it to a flight check)?

So, still no sucky the fatty?

Lippo just isn't a legitimate form of weightloss... If you cant lose it the right way to begin with its a matter of will power or discipline to adhere to a diet or exercise. Or maybe your just a big enough person that r22 weight isn't a legitmate weight to maintain. I'm 6' and maintaining about 185 is a challenge. Regardless the reason if lippo is your only option to make weight you wont be there long. So what would be the point?

So what you’re saying is, if you lose the additional pounds, you’ll get the job? And, in order to guarantee the weight loss, you are considering lippo?

It’s been said before; this business has no short-cuts. IMHO, this would include weight loss....

My suggestion is; talk with anyone who is in the fitness industry and have them explain how your diet can affect you during a weight loss program. Then institute a rigorous exercise program (mostly cardio) and, while walking the dog is a start, you’ll need to go far beyond that to see the results you are talking about.

Edited by Spike

Remember to report all medical procedures and visits to doctors on your medical form!

How much do we want to document?

Again, they can't suck enough fat out to make a big difference in your weight. It's just not possible. Liposuction (with only one 'p', btw) is a cosmetic procedure, not a weight loss procedure. And then you have to document it on your next physical, or risk losing your medical forever. I would never consider it under any circumstances as long as I need my pilot certificate. But it's your money, and your certificate...

• Like 1

From what I've heard 20lbs ain't that much fat to suck out,...maybe I heard wrong? As far as the medical is concerned, I have wondered what the examinar would think about it, although I don't see why having it done would threaten your flight status, or why you would be fearful of reporting it?

In past threads, so many of you have expressed your willingness to do whatever it takes to make your dream of flying for a living happen. It seems, so far from this one though, that for most of you its (to paraphrase Meatloaf) I would do anything to fly,...but I won't do that! :lol:

Go for a jog. If you want to get serious, purchase P90X and follow it to the “T”. If you do, you’ll lose the weight. If you don’t, don’t expect this to be your only roadblock to reaching your goals.

IMO, the misnomer is; you don’t need to be physically fit to fly helicopters for a living. Although it can be dependent on the specific sector, I would respectfully disagree and at minimum, being unfit may drastically shorten a career. Stress, back problems, OTJ injuries, smoking, alcohol consumption, lack of exercise, poor diet, lack of proper rest have contributed to more than one failed career. The key is to take care of yourself now so you can continue to have a career in the future. Simply put, ya shouldn’t worry too much about that next job you may not get but the one you may not get 20 years down the road.

Edited by Spike

Go for a jog. If you want to get serious, purchase P90X and follow it to the “T”. If you do, you’ll lose the weight. If you don’t, don’t expect this to be your only roadblock to reaching your goals.

IMO, the misnomer is; you don’t need to be physically fit to fly helicopters for a living. Although it can be dependent on the specific sector, I would respectfully disagree and at minimum, being unfit may drastically shorten a career. Stress, back problems, OTJ injuries, smoking, alcohol consumption, lack of exercise, poor diet, lack of proper rest have contributed to more than one failed career. The key is to take care of yourself now so you can continue to have a career in the future. Simply put, ya shouldn’t worry too much about that next job you may not get but the one you may not get 20 years down the road.

Spike said it in the first sentence.

I'm not sure if this is a serious post or not....but no, I would not get lippo, period. One of the most invasive procedures I could think of...if you want to change, then make it happen. Not to mention...if you're that close to the MGW in the 22, who's to say you won't just gain the weight back?

My point is, and sorry for being frank, but If you're not getting hired because you're too fat, you need to get in shape and lose weight the right way, for the right reasons.

Spike said it in the first sentence.

I'm not sure if this is a serious post or not....but no, I would not get lippo, period. One of the most invasive procedures I could think of...if you want to change, then make it happen. Not to mention...if you're that close to the MGW in the 22, who's to say you won't just gain the weight back?

My point is, and sorry for being frank, but If you're not getting hired because you're too fat, you need to get in shape and lose weight the right way, for the right reasons.

The point of this post was to see just how far you all would be willing to go to get your career started. After being rejected twice by this company (weight being sighted as the reason) the thought of liposuction did enter my mind, so I thought I'd see if anyone else has ever had the same thought,...apparently not!

They're max hiring weight was 180lbs! I weighed 185lbs the last time I applied. They said they really prefer to hire at 165-175lbs!

Edited by pilot#476398

The point of this post was to see just how far you all would be willing to go to get your career started. After being rejected twice by this company (weight being sighted as the reason) the thought of liposuction did enter my mind, so I thought I'd see if anyone else has ever had the same thought,...apparently not!

They're max hiring weight was 180lbs! I weighed 185lbs the last time I applied. They said they really prefer to hire at 165-175lbs!

It would appear you were aware of this company’s weight limit for quite some time. Then the question is; what do you weigh now? That is, if there is an obvious visible change with your physique and you are under the 180, then you should be confident you’ll be considered. However, if there is little to no obvious change in your physique and you still weigh 185, then you’ll have no chance. Simply put, if you look like you made a valiant effort to lose the weight, then the company should appreciate your effort and consider you. If you don’t show much change, then your chances are the same as the first go-around. Additionally, sometimes these self-imposed limitations are just a nice way to tell you thanks-but-no-thanks and the reason why you need to make the valiant effort to negate that disqualifying limitation.

If I may ask, what type of job is this?

Lipo will be a short term solution. Once complete how long before you gain that weight back due to the diet you currently are on. compare the cost of lipo vs the cost of hiring a personal trainer to get the weight down. Losing weight and keeping it off is a lifestyle change, not a "I'm going to stop eating food X for me month."

If you're motivated and have initiative, do P90x. I dropped from 185 to 165 halfway through by limiting my caloric intake to 2100 cal, writing down what I ate, and doing the program somewhat half ass.

No, I would not pay for liposuction.

I would, depending on my flight schedule, get out for an hour in the morning, or an hour in the evening, and exercise. Even if its an hour walk in the beginning because that's all one could muster. Stick with it and you'll burn calories, increase your health; look and feel better.

Dieting is treating the symptoms only, exercise is the cure.

or Meth, I hear you lose a ton of weight on that stuff (as well as your teeth, friends, etc) ;-)

• Like 3

Man,...you guys are totally missing the point of this thread!

Only replying to the information provided. With that, I’ll just stick to the basic question. Would I get lipo in order to get a job. Not only no but, heck no. Why? Because that would be S-T-U-P-I-D.

Next question, would any employer hire anyone who underwent lipo in order to apply for a job? IMHO no. Why? Cuz that would be S-T-U-P-I-D and most employers prefer not to hire S-T-U-P-I-D people.

Am I still missing the point?

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1