Lippo Anyone?

pilot#476398

No, I would not pay for liposuction.

I would, depending on my flight schedule, get out for an hour in the morning, or an hour in the evening, and exercise. Even if its an hour walk in the beginning because that's all one could muster. Stick with it and you'll burn calories, increase your health; look and feel better.

Dieting is treating the symptoms only, exercise is the cure.

or Meth, I hear you lose a ton of weight on that stuff (as well as your teeth, friends, etc) ;-)

No, thats not true at all..... you get tons of new friends, dental and health care and a great workout program.

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/About_CDCR/

Man,...you guys are totally missing the point of this thread!

Reiterate what the point is again? You wanted to see how far people would go to get a job, up to and including liposuction? Well that depends on how desperate they are. If you are so down on your luck getting a job that you feel liposuction is a viable option then you need to start looking into another career. Liposuction is not a long term solution and really, unless you are really sloppily fat, it's not going to make that much of a difference weight wise. And even if it reduces your weight enough to get that job, if you don't change your lifestyle you will just gain it right back again.

Really, diet, more than anything else, is the answer to weight loss. Whole foods and a plant based diet are key. You can easily lose 10-15 lbs in a few weeks. From there, the going gets tougher and you need to include exercise in your plan. Lots of cardio. Someone earlier said P90X. That will definitely make you lose some weight but it's not exactly for beginners. You need to be in some semblance of shape before you can even start P90X.

You are asking your fellow pilots if they would consider lipo as a solution to being overweight. I think the answer has been overwhelming. As for the rest, we are just trying to help you with advice that will work.

Negative, Ghostrider.

Diet, sans exercise might work except for ….. well, a TON of reasons. None of which I really want to delve into on a Helo forum. Hopefully I can scratch the surface for you and spare everyone the longer version.

1. homeostasis. If you place a human on less than sufficient calories ( dieting ), then a human metabolism will respond by consuming muscle mass to offset the caloric deficit. The result is that not only is the immediate caloric deficit compensated for, but also the bodies caloric requirements have now been lowered since it has lost some muscle mass that originally required those calories in order to remain. Notice how I never mentioned FAT loss? Oh yeah… that… well, lets touch on that for a second. Humans store fat as energy for periods of starvation (neat trick eh!?) So, when you limit calories, your body will also store a greater percentage of ANY incoming calories (the food you are eating) as FAT. Thus, you will lose weight, but it'll be almost entirely muscle mass that you will lose.

Then there's the whole dietary requirement amino acid manufacturing limitations of the human metabolism vs. other animals species (why humans cannot live on (should not live on) a vegetarian diet), but let's save that for later scientific beat-downs, should they be required.

Suffice it to say that if a Pilot wants to drop weight, drop FAT. This is done by eating a balanced diet that includes animal proteins, as well as veggies. Exercise daily, build and maintain a healthy amount of muscle mass and bone density, and engage in some daily cardio as well. IF you do this, then your metabolism will speed up and you will actually find it DIFFICULT to keep high levels of fat ON your body.

Reiterate what the point is again? You wanted to see how far people would go to get a job, up to and including liposuction? Well that depends on how desperate they are...

The scenario is in post #1 and #9.

I guess I was hoping for answers like;

-Yes

-No

-Maybe after 5 years of looking for work

-If I had the money

-No job is worth that

-I'd rather work at McDonalds the rest of my life than get lipo

-I'm not that desperate,...yet

-I can't because I already spent all my money on fake boobs

Instead I got advice on how to lose weight,...oh' well. I guess I should have just made this a poll!?

:rolleyes:

-Yes

-No

-If I had the money

-No job is worth that

Instead I got advice on how to lose weight,...oh' well. I guess I should have just made this a poll!?

Then I wouldn't have bothered with it.

• Like 2

-Yes

-No

-If I had the money

-No job is worth that

What a Tool......

• Like 1

Negative, Ghostrider.

Diet, sans exercise might work except for ….. well, a TON of reasons. None of which I really want to delve into on a Helo forum. Hopefully I can scratch the surface for you and spare everyone the longer version.

1. homeostasis. If you place a human on less than sufficient calories ( dieting ), then a human metabolism will respond by consuming muscle mass to offset the caloric deficit. The result is that not only is the immediate caloric deficit compensated for, but also the bodies caloric requirements have now been lowered since it has lost some muscle mass that originally required those calories in order to remain. Notice how I never mentioned FAT loss? Oh yeah… that… well, lets touch on that for a second. Humans store fat as energy for periods of starvation (neat trick eh!?) So, when you limit calories, your body will also store a greater percentage of ANY incoming calories (the food you are eating) as FAT. Thus, you will lose weight, but it'll be almost entirely muscle mass that you will lose.

Then there's the whole dietary requirement amino acid manufacturing limitations of the human metabolism vs. other animals species (why humans cannot live on (should not live on) a vegetarian diet), but let's save that for later scientific beat-downs, should they be required.

Suffice it to say that if a Pilot wants to drop weight, drop FAT. This is done by eating a balanced diet that includes animal proteins, as well as veggies. Exercise daily, build and maintain a healthy amount of muscle mass and bone density, and engage in some daily cardio as well. IF you do this, then your metabolism will speed up and you will actually find it DIFFICULT to keep high levels of fat ON your body.

You misunderstand me when I say "diet". I'm not talking about crash diets, not eating, juicing, etc... I'm talking about sustainable changes to your diet. What you put into your body, and how much of it, is directly proportional to health and weight. Now, if you are already trim, changing your diet may help with blood pressure and other long term problems that may develop over time, but if you are overweight by more than a few extra pounds, eating a whole-food based diet can drastically cut your weight down and relatively quickly. When I say whole foods, I mean food that is fresh grown. Not canned, preserved, processed and packaged. The additives put into processed foods are incredibly bad for you and studies are showing that is a leading cause of obesity in the U.S. If you look at what healthy, optimal weight and shape people eat, and compare it to what a guy who is 20-50 lbs overweight is eating, you will see what I am talking about. Fresh fruits and veggies. Lots of them. Nix 90% of your dairy products (limited amounts of cheese and yogurt is ok), avoid red meat and limit yourself to smaller amounts of poultry and fish, and eat lots of leafy greens. You will lose weight, and feel more energetic to boot, making it easier to get your butt out there and do exercise.

For the most part (and this is a very simplified version of a very complex thing here so don't beat me up too much about it), it's about keeping your blood sugar within a certain range. Eating foods that turn to sugar in your body and cause your blood sugar to spike, producing insulin, and causing your body to store fat instead of burn it (most everything that has been processed has ingredients like high fructose corn syrup, try and find something packaged and processed that doesn't, it's actually quite hard!) will cause you're blood sugar to spike and drop alternately, and putting your body in a nasty cycle of storing fat, and making you hungry when you shouldn't be. Eat the right foods (whole foods, pure foods. Not prepared, processed, preserved, ready to cook microwave stuff), and eat it in the right amounts and frequency and you will put your body in a blood sugar range that makes your body produce less insulin and thus burn more fat instead of store it. That's the short version of it, and it parallels what you said.

I've weighed between 230 and 252 for the last 26 years that I've been flying.Yet, my logbook is filled with R22 time. I chose a path that did not involve teaching, so if you want some pilot advice, go find a different job somewhere....and quit obsessing over your weight as holding you back.

That said, every pilot is only employable based on his/her next medical.....think about that the next time you order at a drive up window.

Goldy

You instead got advice on losing weight, which is exactly what the end state you are requiring.

Exactly. In fact, he got both. Pilot#476398, I'm confused. You got your answer - an overwhelming "no." You also got advice on a healthier, more sustainable way to reach the end state (lighter weight).

The point is that everyone (so far) has said "no". It's as if you are really wanting someone to say "yes" and are getting frustrated that's not the case?

In past threads, so many of you have expressed your willingness to do whatever it takes to make your dream of flying for a living happen. It seems, so far from this one though, that for most of you its (to paraphrase Meatloaf) I would do anything to fly,...but I won't do that! :lol:

That's because there is a better way (diet and exercise). It's not that people aren't willing to lose the weight to make the dream happen. As has been stated, liposuction is not a magical procedure. You can put the fat back on easily if you don't change your lifestyle. The question is, are you willing to change your lifestyle instead of looking for the easy and temporary way out? (or your hypothetical person...not sure if you are talking about yourself.)

I think you're missing the point.

If you wanted a simple yes/no answer, a poll would have sufficed.

You instead got advice on losing weight, which is exactly what the end state you are requiring.

It's nothing personal, just advice that you asked for.

Actually, the question was not, Should "I" get lipo?, but (given this scenario) Would "YOU" get lipo? Not once did I ask for weight loss advice!

So you're saying that you are too thin skinned to deal with what some random person on a web forum says about you?

No, I'm saying this forum isn't fun anymore,...too many JH Forum types!

Edited by pilot#476398

Actually, the question was not, Should "I" get lipo?, but (given this scenario) Would "YOU" get lipo? Not once did I ask for weight loss advice!

I assumed after post #19, you were talking about yourself.

Personally, I would never do it. I'd do p90x and count my calories like I recommended to you.

No, I'm saying this forum isn't fun anymore,...too many JH Forum types!

Really? I haven't seen any of the nonsense whacked out answers that I have seen on JH. Everyone here seems pretty professional. Granted, DS_HMMR's comment about you beig a tool was uncalled for, but think about it, everyone can see that and it makes him look bad, not you, at least as long as you keep a clear head about it.

Really? I haven't seen any of the nonsense whacked out answers that I have seen on JH. Everyone here seems pretty professional. Granted, DS_HMMR's comment about you beig a tool was uncalled for, but think about it, everyone can see that and it makes him look bad, not you, at least as long as you keep a clear head about it.

Its not totally there, yet! We don't have the "from out of nowhere" Robbie hatered like they do, but lately there just seems to be a lot more "uncalled for" remarks, and you just never know when (or why) they'll strike!

Maybe I just come here too much?

Hello, I would like to know what an ideal weight would be for helicopter flight training and a helicopter career later down the line. I currently am 5'8 and 220. I am 21% body fat in the navy, but i know that doesn't matter because my weight is a lot. I have been working out and plan to attend school sometime around next september, can someone point me in the right direction to what weight is good.

Hello, I would like to know what an ideal weight would be for helicopter flight training and a helicopter career later down the line. I currently am 5'8 and 220. I am 21% body fat in the navy, but i know that doesn't matter because my weight is a lot. I have been working out and plan to attend school sometime around next september, can someone point me in the right direction to what weight is good.

The max weight per seat in the R22 (the most common training helicopter) is 240lbs, so you may have difficulty finding a job at your current weight? A number of job posts for that helicopter seem to suggest that they prefer to hire at around 185lbs!

You might be better off training in an S300? You can be fatter in that helicopter, however, I have seen entry-level turbine jobs posting weights around 200lbs, so even then, getting below 200lbs is deffinitely a good idea!

An ideal weight would be 175lbs.

Edited by pilot#476398

Under 200 should be your overall target. If you attend a school that operates at higher DA’s then weight can be a discriminating factor for potential CFI candidates . However, if a school has a weight limitation for its instructors and you as a student are over that weight, then it would be plain dumb to attend that school. With that, this is a question you’ll need to ask the school before you begin training. That is, is there a weight limit for their CFI’s? In any case, for an initial goal, just lose as much as possible.

As a CFI with a poor diet I once weighed close to 200. My heaviest student was right at the R22 240 limitation. Full downs with that kind of beef up front was challenging but doable, at sea level… Now I hover around the 180 mark and watch my diet. I do this so I can sustain this career for many years to come….

Edited by Spike

Ideally, as light as possible. Every pound of pilot weight is a pound of payload lost. In reality, ~180 is where you should be, at the maximum. 220 at 5'8" is pretty wide. It's not impossible to get hired at that weight, but most companies will hire lighter pilots before they hire heavier ones, even if the heavier pilots have more time/qualifications. Like I said, every pound of pilot weight is a pound of lost payload, and companies don't like losing payload. Sometimes even 10 or 20 extra pounds of pilot weight means a passenger that can't be carried. This isn't as big a deal for instructing, but for jobs after that, weight is more of an issue.

Thanks for the responses and good information.. I still have a year before i get out and start going to school.So if i start now,i think i should be good by then. I think around 175 is a good goal to set myself for. I really appreciate the responses and time that you Guys/gals put into this forum.