Private Certificate...Check

Nomad110

Finally!

After 52 hours of training, yesterday, I took my Private Pilot check ride examination and passed. Feels good to break through from a student...but only to know there is so much more to climb. On wednesday, my safety pilot and I are picking up our EC-130 and flying it from TN to CA. A couple thousand feet above the ground across the US is going to be awesome. Any tips on gear to bring to make the long flights more comfortable/interesting? We will be doing all sorts of training along the way to make use of the time.

Cheers!

First of all, congratulations! Well done!

Any tips on gear to bring to make the long flights more comfortable/interesting?

On a ec-130 to CA? Yeah... You can take me! I don't know about making it more comfortable for you guys, but we can definitely work on making it interesting... :)

Hell, if it makes it more comfortable for you guys, I 'll even stay on the controls, to take the burden off your backs...

Congrats again!

A lumbar support. I went Vegas to St Louis a few months ago and my back was killing me. Water, snacks, sunglasses, CAMERA, and cold weather gear - you've got some hills to cross! Never fly in anything you wouldn't want to hike in, so the saying goes. Enjoy :D

• Like 2

A lumbar support. I went Vegas to St Louis a few months ago and my back was killing me. Water, snacks, sunglasses, CAMERA, and cold weather gear - you've got some hills to cross! Never fly in anything you wouldn't want to hike in, so the saying goes. Enjoy :D

Thanks for the advise. I think the plan is to swing the flight path pretty far south. The plan is to do our best to fly within my personal minimums. Of course thats pretty limiting compared to the extremely high time/experience pilots I am flying with. It's going to be a great time builder for sure.

Thanks for the advise. I think the plan is to swing the flight path pretty far south. The plan is to do our best to fly within my personal minimums. Of course thats pretty limiting compared to the extremely high time/experience pilots I am flying with. It's going to be a great time builder for sure.

Congratulations on your accomplishment. Step one is done....sounds like a great trip planned!

Fly safe!

• Like 1

Endurance on an EC-130 is about 3.8 hours with no reserve. Nothing like a confined area landing to empty the bladder.

Why not use an unconfined area to empty your bladder. See the safety mentality this brings? Approach the entire flight this way! Check your PM's from me.

Why not use an unconfined area to empty your bladder. See the safety mentality this brings? Approach the entire flight this way! Check your PM's from me.

It was a joke Mike. We are likely not going to land off airport unless for training purposes. Anyway, it's amazing to me how many airports there are all over this country. The trip planning is half the fun.

1. Congrats

2. Every flight is a training flight, so plan it as such and use every opportunity (safely) to improve.

3. Recognize that most of the more vocal posters on this website choose to ignore jokes, because "ha ha" is not a sufficient reply for them; and they have a LOT of free time on their hands. B)

"Bravo" Nomad...

Enjoy your time with your new baby...

I'll give my shirt to fly a EC130, only once!

Happy landing and merry X-MAs!!! ;o)

Renaud

• 2 weeks later...

So I completed the ferry flight and orientation/turbine transition with the EC-130 B4. Flying across the country was stunning and something I have to find the excuse to do again. All I can say is whatever comfort/confidence I had in the R44 was quickly thrown out the door in the first moments of hovering the EC-130. The non boosted fenestron anti torque pedals of the EC-130 require a very different feel then the quick and responsive pedals on the R44. The best way I can describe it is like a squeeze. Also the huge amount of left pedal it takes to transition to forward flight above 40 knots was also interesting. In just over 2 days however I was feeling very comfortable again. I just had to keep telling my self to just stop doing things. It really hovers well so the less cyclic input the better. The autorotations felt great and the NR is very easy to control with so much more inertia. The decent rate is about the same as the R44 at about ~1560 fpm so the pace of things felt the same. So much more training to go... : )

• Like 1