Better chance of being selected for WOFT on last board of year?

hey guys Im still fairly new on here but have posted a few other times. Im active duty Navy and will be applying to one of the boards in the middle of the year in 2013. I got bored at work today and set up an AKO account so i could view the results for this year and i printed out all the results for boards that selected WOFT this year cuz I wanted see how many applicants were from other branches and were selected. while doing this I noticed the last board of the year aviators were selected which was the Sept board almost 100 applicants were selected out of a possible 150 roughly... which was much higher then any of the other boards this year for active duty applicants. Is this just a coincidence or is it a result of it being the last board until the new year and them needing to fill slots for the classes finishing out the current year?

• Like 1

I figured it was due to filling slots for the last half of the year and there not being anymore boards...as of right now for fy13 there is no september board but they havent released the schedule past then yet...just thought it was interesting numbers i wish i could see the last few years to see if the pattern holds true for the last board each year!

• Like 1

Well, I checked the September 2011 MILPER and it had about an 18% pick-up rate. I don't think it's an end of the year thing. It may, however, be a "woops, we mismanaged the numbers," thing.

July 2012 had a 27% pick-up rate. I'm a little concerned about the September 2012 results. I know my packet is top half. I would imagine it rates pretty well. However, I will now be pulling out my hair over the possibility of an uncharacteristically low selection rate for January 2013.

If only I could have seen the future, I wouldn't have waited that extra couple of months to get another credential. By the same token, I would also have had the winning lottery number, so I guess it's a moot point.

Good luck to everyone.

• Like 1

all we can do is submit the best packet possible! best of luck to ya, I wont be submitting until the may or july board in fy13 do to my command not wanting to give me the DD368 conditional release "due to our manning" and told me once I was closer to my end of tour they would grant me but now my 130 on the AFAST doesnt mean squat and ill have to take the new SIFT test!!

• Like 1

ill be going to basic in JAN2013 to Jackson, AIT eustis. then coming home to the 1/285th D Co

i had the pleasure of meeting my company commander i'm coming back to and told him my career plans for when i get started... He told me he wants me to have my packet ready for his signature upon my return from AIT. apparently AZ is short pilots in the guard so its a MASSIVE win for me..

Edited by Yamer
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I just applied to the January board and was denied my first go round. My recruiter does not seem very knowledgeable on the issue as he has never done a WOFT packet. But from my understanding my packet will be submitted for a second review? Are the chances greater or worse for being selected a second time around? Also I know a degree is not required but how much emphasis is out on it. I am a senior engineering student.

As far as? I am a civilian I had a 330 apft a 126 a fast I can't remember gt score off top of my head but 93 on asvab. 2 congressmen for lor a professor an owner of company I am employed and a 160th pilot that I grew up with but he is only a 1st leu

You'll get an automatic second look in March, you don't need to do anything.

Did you have any college?

126 semester hours at Ohio state in engineering but my GPA is only 2.3. But I tutored and taught labs. I just workers through school. But they don't know that.

Did you have anyone proofread your Why I want to be an Army Aviator essay? Perhaps you are just typing quickly but your posts here are kind of sloppy.

Yea I am on my phone at work. I will admit writing is my weakest subject. After being denied I looked it over and think I focused on more why I should be seleceted more so than why I want to be an aviator. Also I am someone concerned on my recruiters attention to detail. I know when I went to the board in Ohio my packet was twice as thick as others. I think it is to cluttered with unneeded crap.

Yea I am on my phone at work. I will admit writing is my weakest subject. After being denied I looked it over and think I focused on more why I should be seleceted more so than why I want to be an aviator. Also I am someone concerned on my recruiters attention to detail. I know when I went to the board in Ohio my packet was twice as thick as others. I think it is to cluttered with unneeded crap.

Hmm, the possible recruiter issue is a tough one. I'm not sure how to address it, so I'll let someone else step in there. Good luck in March! Congrats on the phenomenal APFT score.

As far as the other stuff is it a competitive packet? Does anyone know how often applicants are denied first try and accepted second? Or how important a degree is?

Keep in mind I'm not able to give a qualified opinion since you are further along than I am, but I've been around the block here for awhile and have seen the stats that have been selected. Your APFT is solid. ASVAB is plenty good. What was your AFAST score? College GPA isnt great, but you are pursuing a STEM major and aren't finished yet, and college isn't required anyway, so that doesn't concern me too much. Your LORs look okay, but did any of them know you really well personally? The 160th one I might look twice at if only because of rank. See if that LT can give you the contact info of a higher ranking WO he knows. Just a suggestion, because a letter from n Army Aviator isn't even required. But a 1LT just hasn't been in the real Army long enough to be able to woo the boards, generally.

All of that aside, they look at the whole person concept, so stats only mean so much.