Tough decision!

Personally, I would submit the correction for E5. I'm also competing against you at this board, so maybe I'm trying to weaken your packet lol.

Seriously though...I don't see how being an E4 would help. If it came down to you and another candidate and both had the same TIS and TIG, then wouldn't they select the one who had achieved the promotion?

I would also advide you to ensure your other documents (1935, DA 61, etc) match your current rank. That may not be possible by tomorrow, but at least keep it all in mind for the March board. Why didn't you start on this Dec 1st?

I don't know. I have plenty of excuses but that's what they are.. Mainly my new position at BN S3 has me working til 2000. I was also worried about not having NCOERs. The DA photo lab first told me they couldn't have gotten me in til Jan then they called me up and said come on down.. Also the warrant recruiting team was very adamant that rank has no influence on the decision making process..

Rank does matter..to a degree. E-5 on your application can only help you. In the 2 min a board member has to review your packet, the first in his/her mind when he sees SPC is that you may not have the experience to compete with all the other E-5s, 6, etc who are applying for that board.

Plus, it also speaks volumes that you made the effort to ensure all your paperwork was completed correctly and updated to the best of your ability before it went before the board. Also update your DA photo if at all possible. This has been mentioned by several board debriefs as one of the major discriminators for selection and promotions.

Mike-

I'm guessing you're active duty and I am NG but I would submit as an E-5 especially if you are WLC complete. If you are wearing e-5 and getting paid e-5 they are going to wonder why you have submitted as a e-4, and that you didn't take the time to correct anything. On the other hand if you go e-5 they are going to see "possibly" that took the extra time and effort to work on start correcting your packet for promotion. I would think it would be the same as never looking at your Iperms docs, which does go negatively against you sometimes when they review your file. Just some food for thought. Like I said I am NG so my board/packet process was much different

I see everyone's point. I wonder if the board has a way to even tell I've been promoted? Unless they pull a current ERB would they have another way to tell? I doubt they pull ERBs because why else would you attach one? I'm really starting to regret not updating sooner. I was worried that an E4 would be judged on "potential" and an E5 would be judged on "demonstrated accomplishment"

well obviously they would look at TIG of E5 and probably judge you based on that. I dont think they would hold you to a very high standard considering you've never even been blocked on an NCOER. The board reviews packets all the time I'm sure yours would not be the first one to have a recent promotion. And I believe they can pull an electronic copy of your ERB while they review your packet so I think they would know. From what I was told all the packets are reviewed electronically, but I heard that 2 years ago from a BOLC MAJ

Wannabe,

You're fine, I'm telling you from experience what we look at in our 1:30 - 2:00 time span. DA photo, first and last line of your last 2 NCOER senior rater comments, and a quick scan of your BN CDR and WOs LORs. Your record then gets voted on, given a numerical vale and placed in a pile of either "select", "non-select" or a host of other holding piles based on the selection criteria briefed by the board president.

Awards, schools, and combat deployments are added to the equation when packets are close or tied. Did I mention to make sure your DA photo is perfect, can't stress how much of an impression being a fatty, a mustache, or screwed up ribbons or badges catch the eye. Your photo is blown up on a huge monitor and it reveals just about everything at a glance.

Mike-

Thanks for the good information. Every tidbit helps.

May I ask where a degreee or professional license would factor into the equation? Are they also tie breakers or do they help you move to a better stack?

Also, the USAREC site seems to emphasize the resume. It doesn't seem like they would have enough time to even skim it at the board, though.

Mike,

Great info! I won't have any NCOERs but I do have very strong LORs. I'm very confident in my uniform. The only thing that bothered me was my tie looks a little goofy because of the way they make you twist your torso.. I guess from this point on all I can do is hope I've presented myself on paper the way I present myself in person!

Yes, a degree (even an AA) factors heavily now days. At least for the next couple of years while selection is extremely competitve you'll find more selectees with a degree or at least post secondary education of some sort than not.

Your A&P or other qualifications will help but keep in mind the board is looking at the "whole person concept" Meaning you could ace the AFAST/SIFT, be a 4.0 guy/gal, and have a 300 AFPT but if your NCOERs are poorly written or don't give a clear recommendation or indication of past demonstrated superior performance or leadership potential you could get passed up by someone who is a "B+" in all categories...if that makes sense.

Believe it or not there is no secret code to getting selected, evey single board has different things they're briefed to look for based on current trends, or accession numbers required for a particular FY.

A long way to say that every document in your packet matters, you just can't tell which may be more important than the other on a given board. As I've said before, don't get discouraged if you're not selected. The next couple of years will be the most competitive I've seen since the Clinton-era draw down in the early 90s. The Army is giving a terrifying substantial number of WOs the boot for various reasons in the next year or two, which in an odd way will mean within the next few years the Army will be screaming for WOCS again like they were in 2005 when they took almost everybody. They key is persistence, and knowing that the upswing will come it's just a matter of being ready for it. In 23 years, I've seen it happen 4 times so I think my theory has some merit:o)

Mike-

• Like 2

Thanks very much for taking the time out to help some prospective applicants. Your last couple of posts are pretty much the best guidance publically on the Internet. Not that I've searched every forum or posting along these lines or anything like that... :(

No problem, you can thank Lindsey for my participation. She guilted me into posting.

Mike-