Almost useless old helicopter fact

Goldy

Anyone know which FAA type certificated helicopter had retractable skids?

I was doing some research for a story and came across some cool facts from long ago!

Goldy

Anyone know which FAA type certificated helicopter had retractable skids?

Goldy

Bell 209

Way older and much more obscure!.

Lockheed 286?

Prototype AH1G

The Bell 209/AH-1G prototype came out in 1965; however, it was modified for production and the retractable skids were replaced with fixed skids. I don’t think the FAA ever certificated the Bell 209/AH-1G, with retractable skids, for civil operation.

Lockheed’s XH-51 lead to the Lockheed L-286 with retractable skids and was certificated for civil operation in 1966, TC HSWE. The L-286 may have been the first to receive FAA certification (Normal Category Helicopter).

The Bell 47 was the first to receive CAA certificated for civil operation in 1946 TC H-1. It later became the first helicopter with skid landing gear.

So he's saying, it must be some other helicopter between the years 1946 - 1966

Edited by iChris

Lockheed’s XH-51 lead to the Lockheed L-286 with retractable skids and was certificated for civil operation in 1966, TC HSWE. The L-286 may have been the first to receive FAA certification (Normal Category Helicopter).

I think what I am saying is Bingo! The 286 was FAA certified and had retractable skids. What a cool idea that was in 1966! If you look at military projects in the 60's they did a lot of cool stuff with helicopters.

I think Counterrotate had it first...