Job Disqualifiers

The recent topic on sporting event TFR's and a reply in that thread got me wondering...

For the sake of this argument, assume the pilot has 5,000 hrs

If a company is looking to hire a pilot and you submit a resume, how many and what types of violations would disqualify you from the pool?

What about accidents... Let's say engine failure in the Gulf, put it down in the water but you hit wrong and the floats don't quite do it. The machine ends up being totally destroyed but everyone lives. Would this be a disqualifier? (Also, would that be considered a "pilot error" accident?)

How about an IIMC accident and everyone survives?

What if you're the only survivor in either of the above scenarios? Assuming you are able to deal with the trauma and are able to get back in the air, would deaths swing the decision compared to no deaths?

I'd also like to hear some of your experiences with some of this stuff. Do you know someone who violated his/her way out of the industry? What led up to that end result?

You are asking questions regarding the decision maker's judgement, and what's important in that process.

I know pilots who are still working after incidents, and with different employers, so some level of explanation must have been satisfactory.

The recent topic on sporting event TFR's and a reply in that thread got me wondering...

For the sake of this argument, assume the pilot has 5,000 hrs

If a company is looking to hire a pilot and you submit a resume, how many and what types of violations would disqualify you from the pool?

For all practical purposes if you have a valid commercial or ATP and a valid medical, you’re qualified and in the pool for appraisal. The number of violations, accidents and their severity will decrease your odds of being hired respectfully. However the employer makes the final appraisal.

If you’ve established a history of professionalism in this industry, A few missteps can be forgiven. However, until you've established such history, you should try to walk the straight path.

You can only deal with such hypothetical questions in a general sense. Situations, causes, and effects are so varied; it's almost impossible to make a definitive answer to your question.

However, as an example, I think the Sporting event TFR violations Post currently on this forum would be of little or no consequence in the employer’s final appraisal. Many people are disheartened by the unwarranted, inappropriate, and disproportionate behavior of the TSA.

With regards to being violated out of the industry. The Abuse of drugs and alcohol are high on the list of causes. Violations in that area will deprive you of your career in aviation

Edited by iChris
  • Like 2