So I flew a helicopter for the first time today

Unlike many of you, I set myself on the WOFT path without ever having even gotten in a helicopter. Knowing it would probably be a good idea to have at least SOME idea of what I was potentially getting myself into, I had my first lesson today in a R22. "Flew" in the thead title is... a bit of an exaggeration (instructor obviously did 90% of it), but that's how it felt.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

AWESOME.

• Like 2

Soon you will fly a real one, too....

;-)

Oh, did you think you were power-limited in your 58? Think it autos a little quick? Lets throw you into a 22 and see what ya say afterwards...

;)

• Like 1

Oh I know I am power limited. And lets be honest, comparing shitty auto profiles isn't a winners game. I wish the 58D auto'd like the A/C.

I don't think I can fit in a 22, and I am certainly too heavy.

Edited by akscott60

Oh I know I am power limited. And lets be honest, comparing shitty auto profiles isn't a winners game. I wish the 58D auto'd like the A/C.

I just have my reservations flying anything that small, and statistically, crashed as much. :)

I'm saying a 22 is *more* power limited. And that's what I like about it. Same with the shitty auto profile. The fun is in the finesse it takes to fly it.

Are you over 240 pounds? That's the max seat limit.

By the way, jester, congrats on the first flight! You have that perma-grin? What did your CFI demonstrate? Any autos?

Yes, with my gear on. Well, I guess I would be right on the limit since civvy flying doesn't require me to wear 20lbs of crap at least. Haha

Let me know if you are ever in Seattle, we'll go for a flight. ;)

Oh, did you think you were power-limited in your 58? Think it autos a little quick? Lets throw you into a 22 and see what ya say afterwards...

;)

What sort of descent rates do you normally see in an R22 auto?

We're not really power limited until you start getting us up near max gross. Flying stateside with empty rocket pods we had no trouble getting in and out of 9000-10000ft DA landing zones. I was able to keep a vertical climb going ~600fpm well out of ground effect coming out of one RT. You just have to be slow and smooth and pay close attention to the winds.

Edited by SBuzzkill

What sort of descent rates do you normally see in an R22 auto?

We're not really power limited until you start getting us up near max gross. Flying stateside with empty rocket pods we had no trouble getting in and out of 9000-10000ft DA landing zones. I was able to keep a vertical climb going ~600fpm well out of ground effect coming out of one RT. You just have to be slow and smooth and pay close attention to the winds.

2000 FPM is not particularly uncommon. You're more focused on the RPM because it's so sensitive due to the low-inertia rotor system. It's one thing if you are doing the auto, it's another id its a student with an attitude problem who thinks he knows how to auto the ship. Keeps you on your toes and that's what I love about helicopters--the challenge.

I'm not digging on the 58--my point is that it's all relative. You're power limited compared to a 60 or 47, like most helicopters would be. I just found the "real helicopter" thing ironic since we all know the big helo guys like to make fun of the Kiowa.

By the way, I'm not bent out of shape about this at all - just gotta defend my little RC helicopter that can kill ya as easy as yours. :)

Didn't think you were.

In an auto our descent rates are usually around 2400fpm and rotor RPM can be a bitch.

It's not really a power thing with us. It's more of a weight thing. We just don't have much payload to play around with and have to learn to trade off weapon load for fuel or vice versa. I'd venture to guess that most helicopters suck when at max gross.

Anyways, a good R22 pilot would probably make a good Kiowa pilot from a flying the aircraft perspective.

Edited by SBuzzkill

Didn't think you were.

In an auto our descent rates are usually around 2400fpm and rotor RPM can be a bitch. We have to trade off weapons for fuel or vice versa.

It's not really a power thing with us. It's more of a weight thing. We just don't have much payload to play around with. I'd venture to guess that most helicopters suck when at max gross.

Anyways, a good R22 pilot would probably make a good Kiowa pilot from a flying the aircraft perspective.

How automated are you guys compared to a 60 insofar as flying the aircraft goes? Do you still have to put in some left pedal on pickup or is that compensated for? I understand in a wartime environment you want as many systems helping you out and reducing the workload, but man, I hate automation...

And real helicopters have cyclics between your legs :P

Haha, you got me there, although it's way nice when you are getting in and out of a tiny 22 to not have to climb all around the cyclic.

We have SCAS helping us out but we don't have any auto mixing on the pedals or any of that nonsense. You are flying it. The SCAS just helps reduce control movements which is nice and allows for much more precision.

We also have heading hold that hardly anyone uses.

Edited by SBuzzkill

Automation is a strong word. As for flying characteristics, we have much less help than the other airframes. We have a SCAS system with 10% control authority on the cyclic servos and tailrotor. It can be bumped off if you want.

No autopilot, force trim is for ground use only (98% of the time).

What is nice is our rather kick ass navigation system.

We have SCAS helping us out but we don't have any auto mixing on the pedals or any of that nonsense. You are flying it. The SCAS just helps reduce control movements which is nice.

We also have heading hold that hardly anyone uses.

Damnit, Sam, knock it off. You are making my mouth water. That's what I'm talking about!

By the way, our Seahawks are really letting me down right now, so if I seem a little irritable...

Automation is a strong word. As for flying characteristics, we have much less help than the other airframes. We have a SCAS system with 10% control authority on the cyclic servos and tailrotor. It can be bumped off if you want.

No autopilot, force trim is for ground use only (98% of the time).

What is nice is our rather kick ass navigation system.

That sounds perfect. My exceptions to my general dislike for automated systems are navigation and radios.

Lindsey you'd be surprised at how little we use the "automation" in 60s. A competent pilot can fly it as acurate as 30 yr old computers on an A or L. As far as a M, well for a mundane IFR flight it works fine but flying terrain flight it's all pilot.

As far as power and speed. I was flying lead once in Afghanistan at 6000 ft ish. The BDE CDR (64 guy) was behind me flying in a 58 with his BDE SP. My PI was flying at a whopping 90 KIAS and I hear the SP say " Slow down a bit, we're at our temp limit on the engine." Happened to me before at 13,000 ft with Apaches. We got goobs of power in 60s! :)

Too much drag :)

Yeah I fly a 407 these days and the only reason why I can get 130 + kts out of it is because it's slick. Of course I weigh probably a good 1,000 lbs less than a 58 as well.

Of course the Black Hawk is no speed demon either compared to a Chinook.. Once in Kosovo I was trying to keep up with a 47. I had tanks so all I could get was 140 KIAS out of her. The 47 pretty much left me in the dust!