Twins and mediums

Fred0311

My mind may change as things progress but right now I'm interested in getting into firefighting/utility work when I make it to that point. But im wondering whats the best way to set up your career to make the transistion to mediums or twin engine aircraft? I could see making the jump from light single engine to multi sic in the gulf but was curious how to do it in the utility sector.

The fastest/easiest way into a twin engine aircraft is via the Gulf of Mexico as you already pointed out. I didn't have any prior to flying a twin in EMS. However, go the route I have is a much harder. I have never done utility work but from what I have seen they use single engine aircraft a lot.

It's possible to go directly from being a CFI to twins via the SIC route. Can be a very good way to get your feet wet and learn the aircraft.

There are several companies that are using twins in the utility sector. From S-61's to 214's up through the Vertol 107-II and the 234.

Thanks for the replies guys and any others are welcomed. I know its not a twin but the 205 is appealing too and I know there a few of those doing utility. Its all a long way off anyway but I figure its never too early to start planning even if I end up heading a completely different direction.

Edited by Fred0311

Learn how to start a 206, then start it twice... :P

Not really. The second engine is easier to start, because you already have the first one started, the generator running, and providing plenty of electrical power. The second engine always starts much quicker and easier than the first, unless something is wrong.

Yeah, what Gomer said! It's like starting a 206 twice on a battery cart!

Learn how to start a 206, then start it twice... :P

Starting the pig is the easy part. Twins are about systems management. Somehow or another putting two engines in an airframe makes it 3-4 times more complex than the single engine variety, 355 vs 350 for instance; or 412 vs 205...

Edited by Wally

Well I'll cross the starting it bridge when I get there. For now I'm trying to figure out the best career path to get me sitting in one. I realize the gulf is probably the best way to go but right now I'd like to do utility work and I don't want to get invested in the gulf and then leave it. But that may be what it takes which is why I ask.

Edited by Fred0311

Get some UH-1H air frame experience. They are the most commonly used in fire fighting and are the most under staffed. The heavy industry is pretty tough right now, Skycranes/Aircranes seem to rule the air in heavy fire fighting. S-61s have a black mark and are not getting contracts like they used to. There are a few operators but things are tight.

Edited by THE_COYOTE

My mind may change as things progress but right now I'm interested in getting into firefighting/utility work when I make it to that point. But im wondering whats the best way to set up your career to make the transistion to mediums or twin engine aircraft? I could see making the jump from light single engine to multi sic in the gulf but was curious how to do it in the utility sector.

I'm also interested in the utility side of the industry. One of the things I've heard for the fire/utility market is you need mountain time. And, while you might be able to get SIC twin time in the gulf, you won't be able to build the desired mountian time that a lot of the operators are looking for.

MGB