WOCS/WOFT Maximum Age Limit (updated Jan 2013)

Greetings everyone. I have recently joined the Army Reserve. I am prior service Navy(11yrs 4months) I am currently 43 and have been told my "military age" is 32. If I understand everything I've been reading, it sounds like I may have the opportunity to apply for and attend WOFT. Can anyone give me any further guidence? I really appreciate it. Thanks!!

If someone is capable, why should age matter?

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter. The services obviously care though because they have an age limit. If one has "meritorious qualifications" that should make up for exceeding the age cap.

When I was a student I attended a brief given by the assignments manager at Rucker. He asked us if we knew why we had an age limit (at the time 30). The way the Army looks at it, if someone does 20 yrs til retirement they'll be around 50 yrs old. This is the age where some people start to develope medical problems that lead to grounding. The age cap is a way of maximizing their investment.

I can tell you the oldest student I ever saw at Rucker just happened to be my student. Think he turned 41 by the time he left Rucker. He had a heck of a time trying to adapt to a new career as a pilot. As we say it's like drinking water from a fire hose. In his case he wasn't drinking much. It's not like just going out and getting a PPL, which is hard enough to do. You're being groomed as a total package. You have to be physically and mentally in shape. You're learning a complete weapon system, not just an advanced aircraft but the tactics that go with it. You are constantly being tested throughout your time at Rucker on subjects that are coming at you at a rapid pace. I would liken the experience to someone attempting to go through a service academy after 40. Not saying it can't be done, you would just have some unique challenges for your situation.