WOFT Packet Denied First Attempt January 2013

I didn't make it. FQ-NS. Any aviators or members willing to provide feedback on my packet? I have identified 3 areas that I may be able to improve. Take the SIFT, fine tune my resume and APFT score.

Age - 28

AFAST - 100

ASVAB/GT - ?/115

College - Bachelors Degree complete, BSBA in Computerized Information systems(complete), Started my MBA this month.

APFT - 221

Flight Time - N/A

LORs - AVN CW5, AVN LTC, CPT (Company Commander), Retired AVN COL, MAJ (AVN)

Battalion Board - N/A

Rank and MOS: CW2 , 255N

Years of service (Army Reserve): 7 enlisted, 3 as WO

Deployments: 2 , 1 as enlisted and 1 as WO (current)

So, your recruiter would have submitted your packe to battalion for the battalion board electronically. After your battalion board, the battalion will submit your packet to the USAREC board electronically including thier scores an comments from your battalion board. When I wanted to add something after the BTN board, I made sure that my recruiter uploaded it and let his contact at BTN know in case there was anything they needed to do.

I really feel like my recruiter is working against me at this point. when I was denied he automatically ask me if I was going to enlist. he did not even bring up strengthening my packet for the second chance. The company commander that interviewed me set if I had anything since the questions to contact him. when I asked for his telephone number my recruiter would not give it to me.I feel like I would stand a better chance if I had a different recruiter who had submitted a WOFT packet before. does anyone have any advice on what I can do.

They don't like it if you go over their heads, but I did that and they started getting sh*t done. They knew I was being serious. I called the battalion (looked up the number on google) and told them what I was trying to do. They were really helpful. I was trying to submit a new APFT before the USAREC board, and my recruiter told me that there was no way to do that. I knew that wasn't true, so I called battalion, and they got me in contact with the right person. They asked me who my recruiter was and told me that he would need to submit it, but it could get done. When I talked to my recruiter next he wasn't happy, but I believe it got me selected so I'm glad I did.

Maybe you can just be straight with your recruiter. Tell him what you need and that if he isn't willing to do it, you will talk to battalion. Tell him you don't want to do that because of the chain of command, but it's YOUR packet and YOU want to make sure that everything is in order.

Sounds to me that your recruiter is just not knowlegable about it. Most aren't, and for some reason they aren't willing to find out the answers they don't know. They just tell you what they think is right (which most of the time isn't).

Good Luck

Ok here is my progress I got in touch yesterday with a CW4 black hawk pilot he is currently in the guard. He met with me today and agreed to write a letter of recommendation after reviewing my packet. Also I contacted the battalion office and they are sending the score of my battalion board to the company commander. They also were kind enough to give me his number. He said he would look into a few things for me and get back in touch!

• Like 1

Hey there aeroengineer! I am sad to hear you were NS! I am coming up through the civillian route as well and I too have an AFAST score. I spoke with a Captain who sits on the USAREC boards and after she reviewed my packet with my recruiter, she told me this:

the most important things board members look for are high APFT scores, Degrees and GPA, and then Letters of Recommendation. SHE told me that as long as you have a passing AFAST and GT score that they aren't of any further significant relevance. By the advice she gave me about LOR's, I think the general message from everyone on this thread is correct. You NEED an LOR from a senior warrant (don't waste your time with CW4, just do the hard work and find a CW5) and then from people who personally know you, even a past employer is perfectly fine she told me. She informed me that the APFT score weighs the highest because the fitness test is difficult and it shows EXTREME dedication on your part. I think I remember seeing you did 300, which is perfect! 6:30 mile times are no walk in the park! Also remember that each board member is different...but, this is a good guide for your packet.

You need a new recruiter, for sure. I told my recruiter the day I walked in that "I will never enlist into the army" period. From that moment on, I was never late to a meeting, to the MEPS, I always called him and emailed him when I said I would, if he ever needed anything from me I was always there at his beckoning call, not to brown-nose, but to show him respect. Because of this, I feel he is giving me back that respect and has been nothing but helpful with me. You have to understand, if you are not going through an actualy WO recruiter, it is much more difficult. The enlisted recruiters aren't use to sending WO's and O-grades through. On top of that, their sallaries are not affected in any beneficial way for getting a WO or O-grade in. I am going to provide you with a couple helpful links at the end of this rant.

I would like to share with some information that may or may not be my packet scores (for the March/April board selection), soley for the purpose to help guide each other:

APFT: 298

AFAST: 129

ASVAB/GT: 97/132

Degree: none (70 college units)

LORS: CW5, Lieutenant Colonel (commander of blackhawk unit), Congressmen, CA Governor, Flight Instructor

I have more I want to say, but I am about to fall asleep writing this...here are a couple helpful links.

This site took a little bit of digging through, but this is how I hooked up with the CW5 and LTC LOR's. Send out emails every day. Usually everyone is glad to help point you in the right direction and will respond to you promptly (you have to remember a lot of these people get paid to fly, but they also get paid to sit at a desk too, you can be sure at least some of them are taking advantage of the desk time).

http://www.usawoa.org/woheritage/

This site is a tight nit group of folks who are very smart with this stuff and very willing to help:

armystudyguide.com

This website is mainly for NAVY/Marines flight selection, but it is also helpful:

airwarriors.com

You MUST read this site for information about recruitment! There is an ACTUAL Warrant Officer recruiting team that specializes in recruiting Warrants! It has all their emails and phone numbers. With patience, you will get a hold of someone, and if you are respectful, they will help you.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/WOgeninfo_briefingsched.shtml

I will be on this site more often as I am new to this site, but now that I know it exists, you will see more of me. BTW, I am curious...what part of the country are you from? San Diego, CA here.

Much love.

• Like 4

Ok here is my progress I got in touch yesterday with a CW4 black hawk pilot he is currently in the guard. He met with me today and agreed to write a letter of recommendation after reviewing my packet. Also I contacted the battalion office and they are sending the score of my battalion board to the company commander. They also were kind enough to give me his number. He said he would look into a few things for me and get back in touch!

I'm not sure if you are applying for AD or NG flight school but keep in contact with that NG CW4. I am friends with 2 CW4 MTP's and they go out of there way to write letters of rec for guys going to flight school if you are squared away. One of them that wrote mine actually talked me into dropping my packet, he was on me for like 3 months and I finally started the process. If i needed anything he was using his connections to get things done. Senior warrants know that they have to train their replacements, and they dont want to be flying next to some idiot so they will push good applicants through and do whatever they can to help them.

Hey there aeroengineer! I am sad to hear you were NS! I am coming up through the civillian route as well and I too have an AFAST score. I spoke with a Captain who sits on the USAREC boards and after she reviewed my packet with my recruiter, she told me this:

the most important things board members look for are high APFT scores, Degrees and GPA, and then Letters of Recommendation. SHE told me that as long as you have a passing AFAST and GT score that they aren't of any further significant relevance. By the advice she gave me about LOR's, I think the general message from everyone on this thread is correct. You NEED an LOR from a senior warrant (don't waste your time with CW4, just do the hard work and find a CW5) and then from people who personally know you, even a past employer is perfectly fine she told me. She informed me that the APFT score weighs the highest because the fitness test is difficult and it shows EXTREME dedication on your part. I think I remember seeing you did 300, which is perfect! 6:30 mile times are no walk in the park! Also remember that each board member is different...but, this is a good guide for your packet.

You need a new recruiter, for sure. I told my recruiter the day I walked in that "I will never enlist into the army" period. From that moment on, I was never late to a meeting, to the MEPS, I always called him and emailed him when I said I would, if he ever needed anything from me I was always there at his beckoning call, not to brown-nose, but to show him respect. Because of this, I feel he is giving me back that respect and has been nothing but helpful with me. You have to understand, if you are not going through an actualy WO recruiter, it is much more difficult. The enlisted recruiters aren't use to sending WO's and O-grades through. On top of that, their sallaries are not affected in any beneficial way for getting a WO or O-grade in. I am going to provide you with a couple helpful links at the end of this rant.

I would like to share with some information that may or may not be my packet scores (for the March/April board selection), soley for the purpose to help guide each other:

LORS: CW5, Lieutenant Colonel (commander of blackhawk unit), Congressmen, CA Governor, Flight Instructor

I have more I want to say, but I am about to fall asleep writing this...here are a couple helpful links.

This site took a little bit of digging through, but this is how I hooked up with the CW5 and LTC LOR's. Send out emails every day. Usually everyone is glad to help point you in the right direction and will respond to you promptly (you have to remember a lot of these people get paid to fly, but they also get paid to sit at a desk too, you can be sure at least some of them are taking advantage of the desk time).

This site is a tight nit group of folks who are very smart with this stuff and very willing to help:

armystudyguide.com

This website is mainly for NAVY/Marines flight selection, but it is also helpful:

airwarriors.com

You MUST read this site for information about recruitment! There is an ACTUAL Warrant Officer recruiting team that specializes in recruiting Warrants! It has all their emails and phone numbers. With patience, you will get a hold of someone, and if you are respectful, they will help you.

http://www.usarec.ar...fingsched.shtml

I will be on this site more often as I am new to this site, but now that I know it exists, you will see more of me. BTW, I am curious...what part of the country are you from? San Diego, CA here.

Much love.

Great information. Thanks for sharing. I was also a NS. Trying to improve my packet.

Thanks,

Wally

armystudyguide.com

airwarriors.com

http://www.usarec.ar...fingsched.shtml

Much love.

Thanks for all the info. I am from Ohio

You NEED an LOR from a senior warrant (don't waste your time with CW4, just do the hard work and find a CW5) and then from people who personally know you, even a past employer is perfectly fine she told me.

Not to discredit anything you posted, or to show any disrespect, but I would say it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to have an LOR from a Senior Warrant, but not REQUIRED. Why do I say this? I was selected without an LOR from a Senior Warrant, or any aviation related Army personnel.

Don't get me wrong, I would try extremely hard to get one. However, it's not a definite "no" if you don't have one.

• Like 1