Has anyone taken the FOI test in the past few months?

Sonic04GT

Edit: Update in post #20. Passed with Sheppard Air.

I know in late 2010-early 2011 the FAA changed the FOI database around entirely, resulting in a significant failure rate.

However, I know ASA has been actively updating their own databases as information becomes available. I just read a review someone posted on mypilotstore.com that states "Took the FOI test today (01/18/2013). Passed the test, only 2 questions a little different than the book."

If you have taken it recently, did you use ASA to study and do you feel they're on top of it once again?

I have used ASA Prepware for my Private, Instrument, Commercial, and CFI tets, scoring 97, 88, 97, and 97 respectively. I guess 97 is my magic number that I'd like to achieve on the FOI as well. Unfortunately, I'm on a tight schedule and I don't have the time to read the entire AIH prior to taking the FOI test. I have the latest 2013 software with the latest database update for January 2013.

Thanks for any insight.

I used Sheppard Air. and I got a 94% on the Knowledge. Out of all the practice tests i took while studying i never even got higher than a 90 and then I go in and take the real one and get a 94. So i highly recommend using Shepard Air!

I have heard good things about the Sheppard Air during my Googling. I prefer to use the ASA since that's what I already paid for but might give Sheppard Air a shot.

I took the FOI last summer, used Dauntless to study for it. Set an open ended appointment for the test, and then went in to take it once I was scoring consistent 100's on the practice tests.

Went in to take the written, and recognized perhaps 10 questions. Fortunately I studied enough to acquire the knowledge, not just memorize answers; so I was fine; but I wouldn't use Dauntless again.

I took my FOI test in early December, just a couple weeks before my CFI checkride. I also used the Sheppard Air prepware and scored a 100% on my FOI written exam. It only took me 2 1/2 days of actual sitting down and going through questions before I was ready for the written. Most of the prepare tools from Shepard Air run between $30 and $40.

I definitely HIGHLY recommend Shepard Air for written test preparation. You'll be amazed at how quick it prepares you for the exams. It's a system that truly works.

I took the FOI last summer, used Dauntless to study for it. Set an open ended appointment for the test, and then went in to take it once I was scoring consistent 100's on the practice tests.

Went in to take the written, and recognized perhaps 10 questions. Fortunately I studied enough to acquire the knowledge, not just memorize answers; so I was fine; but I wouldn't use Dauntless again.

Well that's crappy. At least you did well on it.

I took my FOI test in early December, just a couple weeks before my CFI checkride. I also used the Sheppard Air prepware and scored a 100% on my FOI written exam. It only took me 2 1/2 days of actual sitting down and going through questions before I was ready for the written. Most of the prepare tools from Shepard Air run between $30 and $40.

I definitely HIGHLY recommend Shepard Air for written test preparation. You'll be amazed at how quick it prepares you for the exams. It's a system that truly works.

That's great to hear. How many questions were in Sheppard's database? Couple days sounds pretty close to my time frame haha so that's ideal. I emailed ASA about the issue and curious to hear what they say first since I already dropped $60 on this. If there's any uncertainty with them I think I'll be going with Sheppard Air. I believe it was about $30 for the FOI only.

Sad to say, I recommended Dauntless to another instructor for the IRH and CFII tests, and his experience was that there were many questions on the actual test that he'd never seen in the Dauntless database. I like that program because its features support both learning the material and preparing for the test, but given my recent experience with it, I can't recommend it.

I'll throw in another vote for Sheppard Air. Plus, their money-back guarantees make it even more worth it. You get your $30 if you get less than a 90%, and/or if you find a question on the test that wasn't in the SA database, and tell them the question, answer choices, and correct answer (according to the FAA grading).

Has anyone ever just read the book, and passed the FOI, without using any of these test prep things?

Yup, some of old salts just read the book, maybe discussed it with a CFI or not and passed the test.

Working with the FAA & IHST, we are trying to get all written tests to address understanding theory and application without just rote memorization of answers that really have no use after testing. The test questions will be changing at every Certificate level. I think this will actually be easier to learn, test, pass and apply in a flying career.

Do not worry, nothing happens very fast but it is in the works.

Maybe more on this after Heli Expo.

Mike

I know in late 2010-early 2011 the FAA changed the FOI database around entirely, resulting in a significant failure rate.

However, I know ASA has been actively updating their own databases as information becomes available. I just read a review someone posted on mypilotstore.com that states "Took the FOI test today (01/18/2013). Passed the test, only 2 questions a little different than the book."

If you have taken it recently, did you use ASA to study and do you feel they're on top of it once again?

I have used ASA Prepware for my Private, Instrument, Commercial, and CFI tets, scoring 97, 88, 97, and 97 respectively. I guess 97 is my magic number that I'd like to achieve on the FOI as well. Unfortunately, I'm on a tight schedule and I don't have the time to read the entire AIH prior to taking the FOI test. I have the latest 2013 software with the latest database update for January 2013.

Thanks for any insight.

Personally I don't have any experience with the ASA CFI product. Or the FAA written changes since they happened after I stopped my CFI training (ran out of $$$). That said, I have used the ASA prepware CDs for my private, instrument and commercial helicopter licenses and scored in the high 90s on all. I'm curious to see the responces here myself....

That said, one of the resourses I found on the FAA website is.... "Airman Knowledge Test Guides" Here's a link: http://www.faa.gov/t...en/test_guides/

In those they show all of the references for the various topic codes. These codes are defined in the "Learning Statement Reference Guide" and are the same codes listed on your exam report for incorrect answers..... So, by taking the code and looking it up on the test guide you'll find the references to the knowledge needed for review.

Or, to turn that around... By looking over the test guide before the test you'll have an EXACT list of all the reference material that the FAA uses for each code. =)

In the case of the FOI exam all of the codes reference various parts of the Aviation Instructor's Handbook.

In the case of the helicopter CFI the list is a little longer and includes: Rotorcraft Flying Handbook, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Instrument Flying Handbook (yes, for the CFI), Aircraft Weight and Balance Handbook, AC 60-22 Aeronautical Decision Making, AC 00-6 Aviation Weather, AC 00-45 Aviation Weather Service...... And so on.

VERY handy reference to have before the exam to prep... And after the exam to review the codes for the areas you didn't do so well. =)

MGB

What I've found using ASA prepware is to go to a LaserGrade testing station. Using ASA and LaserGrade I've consistently score high 90's.

One time I took a test at a CATS place and scored mid-80's, didn't recognize a single question.

• Like 1

I took my foi early last year (after the change). If I remember correctly I got around 95 plus or minus( I took so many tests in a row I don't remember lol), but definitely over 90.

I used the ASA for all my tests up to CFII. The FOI was the most changed, and though the questions were different from the test prep, the information was the same. So basically, as everyone says, know the information, don't just memorize questions.

If you do that and read the questions carefully, you should do fine!

Don't forget to do practice tests as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Well gentlemen, I took the FOI test this morning through a CATS center after studying solely with the Sheppard Air prep and scored a 98%. Missed one question and I knew which one it was so I have to go back and see if that was my own fault or theirs. Probably should have stuck with my original answer, but I am obviously perfectly satisfied and will not hesitate to pass the good word of SA on to others. Thanks guys!

Edit: Went back into the prepware and confirmed it was my fault for missing that one question, so much thanks to SA.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I'm on a tight schedule and I don't have the time to read the entire AIH prior to taking the FOI test.

Wow. That's a sad comment from someone who wishes to instruct. "I don't have time to do my homework and read the material, so someone clue me in on the easiest way to get through this."

Easiest is seldom best, if ever. It doesn't make much of a professional motto, either. "I do the bare minimum possible."

Aim higher.

Edited by avbug
  • Like 1

Wow. That's a sad comment from someone who wishes to instruct. "I don't have time to do my homework and read the material, so someone clue me in on the easiest way to get through this."

Easiest is seldom best, if ever. It doesn't make much of a professional motto, either. "I do the bare minimum possible."

Aim higher.

I am doing this through a college program that gives me roughly 7 weeks to complete CFI which means getting the binder and lesson plans together, taking the CFI and FOI writtens, 20hrs of flight, of course the ground, and then checkride. I started flying one year ago and since then I've done Private, Instrument, Commercial, External Load, and Turbine Transition, while full time at the college as well, and all first time Go. I wanted the FOI test out of the way so I can concentrate on the more important stuff. NOW, I'm going through the AIH typing up summaries of each chapter. Let's not be quick to judge. We all know the knowledge tests are essentially worthless and just another hoop to jump through. Rote learning at its best.

Let's not be quick to judge. We all know the knowledge tests are essentially worthless and just another hoop to jump through. Rote learning at its best.

The tests are worth what you put into them. When I began preparing for my mechanic writtens, I spent a year doing the study, and another year preparing for the practical, after five years of prior maintenance experience.

Perhaps the tests are only worth nothing because you take the easy way out, and memorize the answers. That was never the intent. When you cheat yourself by doing nothing more to prepare than reading the answers before taking the test, it's no wonder your attitude is so poor.

Aim higher. Your future students deserve better.

• Like 1

I am doing this through a college program that gives me roughly 7 weeks to complete CFI which means getting the binder and lesson plans together, taking the CFI and FOI writtens, 20hrs of flight, of course the ground, and then checkride. I started flying one year ago and since then I've done Private, Instrument, Commercial, External Load, and Turbine Transition, while full time at the college as well, and all first time Go. I wanted the FOI test out of the way so I can concentrate on the more important stuff. NOW, I'm going through the AIH typing up summaries of each chapter. Let's not be quick to judge. We all know the knowledge tests are essentially worthless and just another hoop to jump through. Rote learning at its best.

Even if you had the time to read the book it probably wouldn't help much, that FOI is a crazy bitch!

By the way (and don't take this the wrong way, but) I hope that college degree you're getting is in something more useful than the Turbine transition and External load courses will be!

The tests are worth what you put into them. When I began preparing for my mechanic writtens, I spent a year doing the study, and another year preparing for the practical, after five years of prior maintenance experience.

Perhaps the tests are only worth nothing because you take the easy way out, and memorize the answers. That was never the intent. When you cheat yourself by doing nothing more to prepare than reading the answers before taking the test, it's no wonder your attitude is so poor.

Aim higher. Your future students deserve better.

No way I'd have that kind of time-frame regardless of the situation. I felt way over-prepared for each one of my checkrides and the DPE even made a comment on my ground knowledge so I'm not concerned with "cheating myself." Sorry if it came off that way because of a "knowledge" exam.

Even if you had the time to read the book it probably wouldn't help much, that FOI is a crazy bitch!

By the way (and don't take this the wrong way, but) I hope that college degree you're getting is in something more useful than the Turbine transition and External load courses will be!

Haha, what good is an AS in Aeronautical Science? It's the only way Uncle Sam will pay for it so that I can get PPL-CFII so I can't complain, and I guess it puts me a small step above the guy beside me. It's a 64 credit program and those 3 additions are 1-credit electives, so why not! External load was challenging but very enjoyable towards the end, and it's good to have a few hours in the 206. Walked away with a PIC endorsement that is likely worth jack but hey it's included in the program! NVG is included as well but waiting until I complete CFI so I can get my IP for NVG. Excellent opportunity for veterans but has a strict course sequence with little room for fluctuation. I feel like I just started flying and I'm already working on CFI. I'm confident but it's just crazy.